PDA

View Full Version : Andouille sausage and my WSM 22"

jdog1817
10-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Just picked up some raw andouille sausage from whole foods...not sure how their recipe is but does anyone know if and how my WSM can smoke them?

I found the NOLA cuisine recipe and I'd like to try their smoking method but not sure if I can get my smoker temp down that low and hold.

Advice?

colonel00
10-28-2012, 02:54 PM
I don't have a WSM but I can get temps down pretty low on a UDS. I would suggest starting with a very small fire (a couple of lit briqs) and let the temp come up very slowly. It may take longer to get to temp but I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to do it.

turkey_stalker
10-28-2012, 03:02 PM
I just made a batch of andouille. I was just about to use the same recipe from NOLA, but decided to use the recipe from the book Charcuterie. I did however modify a bit and added chopped meat instead of grinding it all. I believe NOLA suggested that too. I cold smoked mine for 4 hours in my drum then used my iQue 110 to hot smoke at 180. I did run into issues with my drum...it appears it has air leaks!! Couldn't hold low temp so I had to keep dousing the fire to keep under 190. All in all it turned out great!! The WSM is very air tight but I have never tried to smoke that low with my 18.5 when I had it.

Here is a link to my cold smoker i rigged....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146409

jdog1817
10-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the tips! I'll let y'all know how I fair. Maybe Sandy weather will help!