PDA

View Full Version : Do You have Friends like this?

QDoc
10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
I have a close friend who I dearly love but he thinks only things he cooks or conceives is good.
I showed him the APL wing recipe recently posted here and I haven't made them. Well he made them last night and this morning said he didn't like them. Of course, he didn't use Ancho chili powder ( substituted chipotle) didn't use Hungarian Paparika ( used McCormick) and braised them in the Oven first in stead of on the grill ( don't know if that makes a difference.) Now these things are what he admitted to changing.
Now I don't know if the recipe is good or not and still don't because he didn't follow the recipe.

hamiltont
10-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Hey, I always say "To each their own..." Everyone has a different taster. You'll find the majority of folks on this website think they're pretty darn good, and I trust these folks!! I guess if I were you I'd make them for yourself. Then you'll know for yourself. I'd also ask him to make his "best" wings and try them. Compare the two and then you'll know which one is better, which is of course your opinion... :wink: Cheers!!!

Skidder
10-26-2012, 09:22 AM
I follow APLs exact recipe and to me they are some of the BEST wings out there. It's my go to wing recipe for sure.

The_Kapn
10-26-2012, 09:41 AM
I know a Dude like that.
I don't give him a second thought.
He cooks his way, I cook mine.

TIM

1Cavman
10-26-2012, 09:49 AM
We probably all know at least one person like that.
Looked in the mirror once and it was me.

el_matt
10-26-2012, 09:55 AM
I've got a co-worker who has a catering business (tri-tip and chicken, cooked on his Santa Maria trailer). It doesn't turn out terrible, but I've had to show him how to slice TT, I don't know how many times. He and his partner swear it's the best chicken and TT ever. It'd be a heck of a lot better if he sliced it right.

Matt

QTEX
10-26-2012, 10:13 AM
I have a close friend who I dearly love but he thinks only things he cooks or conceives is good.
I showed him the APL wing recipe recently posted here and I haven't made them. Well he made them last night and this morning said he didn't like them. Of course, he didn't use Ancho chili powder ( substituted chipotle) didn't use Hungarian Paparika ( used McCormick) and braised them in the Oven first in stead of on the grill ( don't know if that makes a difference.) Now these things are what he admitted to changing.
Now I don't know if the recipe is good or not and still don't because he didn't follow the recipe.

Yes I do have a buddy like that. I always kick his butt at comps. I have told him exactly what I use and actually gave him the rubs and sauces, he wont even try them much less listen because its not his stuff or idea. So here recently his excuse for my three Grand Champs is that me and the head judge are buddies so we are cheating. He's a decent cook and a real nice guy but I lost all my respect for him after that. In Myrons way of saying it, sore a$$ loser.

AustinKnight
10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Ya my bud/sous chef is the same way always trying to wow everyone, when he should be a simple man and just aim to please, he cooks his way and I do mine.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Outnumbered
10-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Somebody help a brother out and provide a link to the APL wings? :biggrin1:

DownHomeQue
10-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Yes i have friends like this, Yes they are annoying.. lol my advice would be to try it yourself and see how you like it.. without the whole oven thing... My Buddy always tries to OneUp me and always miserably fails.. i just let the ladies be the Judge.. LOL.. can't argue with that.. :laugh:

The_Kapn
10-26-2012, 11:40 AM

I have never done them, but a search here gave me:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101468

Someday.

TIM

Smokeass
10-26-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm basically the best cook on here so no...I dont really know what youre talking about.

Smokeass
10-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm basically the best cook on here so no...I dont really know what youre talking about.
Of course I was just jokeing around...I'm probably tied for best cook. :-P

Dr_KY
10-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Yup I know several.
It's also a good giggle to see them use an regurgitate the information you once gave that they shunned and then later claim it to be their own found knowledge. LOL

Skidder
10-26-2012, 05:50 PM
http://thehogblog.com/?p=1062#more-1062

jfletcher84
10-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Would you prefer a guy that you share techniques, sauces, rubs and things and then he turns around and tells everyone they are his and he taught you about them or gave them to you? I would prefer the guy that doesnt listen to the guy that is a thief.

el_matt
10-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Would you prefer a guy that you share techniques, sauces, rubs and things and then he turns around and tells everyone they are his and he taught you about them or gave them to you? I would prefer the guy that doesnt listen to the guy that is a thief.

I'll bet a dollar that, 50% of the time, it's the same person.

Matt

woodpelletsmoker
10-26-2012, 10:39 PM
There are not same sauce like in states here in China
One day I found Australian sauce from a very expensive grocery and I bought one bottle.
After I smoked my beef, I sliced beef and applied the Australian sauce on it. Then I had to throw all beef away.
taste, taste, taste