PDA

View Full Version : World Food Championships

smokinit
10-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Ok whos going we are cooking with BoBo 1st time in Vegas for me.

pat
10-25-2012, 11:26 AM
We will be there Wednesday for Halloween on the strip!!

BBQ_Mayor
10-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Good luck Pat and Doug!

Shake'nBake
10-25-2012, 09:10 PM
We'll be in on Thursday morning, look forward to meeting new teams :-)

Terri

gettinbasted
10-25-2012, 09:14 PM
We'll be in on Thursday morning, look forward to meeting new teams :-)

Terri

Good luck! Bring that money back to Missouri!

luckyduk
10-26-2012, 02:37 PM
We are in!! Looking forward to hangin out with everyone!!

Balls Casten
10-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Damn! Any way we could talk you into staying home?

Leatherheadiowa
10-26-2012, 09:18 PM

I'll provide the parsley if I can hitch a ride!

JD McGee
10-27-2012, 12:46 AM
We're in...rollin' in Thursday afternoon...

sfisch
10-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Our equipment shipped out from Michigan on Tuesday and hopefully arrived yesterday, Spydermike and I fly out and arrive in Vegas, Wednesday around noon. Weather is looking really good, snow in the forecast here the day we leave!

Bbq Bubba
10-28-2012, 09:12 AM

Eric needed a driver? :twisted:

Razoo BBQ
10-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Only 910 miles to drive and Ice Harbour Brewing will be on the strip Wednsday :-D

smokinit
10-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Driving what are you crazy!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ThomEmery
10-28-2012, 09:43 AM
We there Friday judging Friday Saturday

pigmaker23
10-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Thom, is your brother coming with you?

We there Friday judging Friday Saturday

Smoke'n Ice
10-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Was gona be there in side dish catagory but October 15th and the IRS wanted more than expected. Hence, the Las Vegas mad money went to help defray some of the deficit. Had to opt out. Maybe next year.

stan
10-28-2012, 08:24 PM
We were suppose to be there but had some unexpected bills pop up that just made it cost prohibitive this year! Good luck everyone!

ThomEmery
10-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Thom, is your brother coming with you?

No they do BBQ world at Stagecoach that's about it :0)

Slamdunkpro
10-29-2012, 11:43 AM
My flight just got canceled:sad:

Basted moral support guy
10-29-2012, 01:43 PM
My flight just got canceled:sad:

Weak! Mother nature apparently hates barbecue. :tsk:

Mogator
10-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Had to cancel judging plans..work calls :(

Chenernator
10-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Will be there judging. If anyone cooking needs something, let me know.

pigmaker23
10-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Any tips on a really good meat supplier for ribs and butts ?
Will be there judging. If anyone cooking needs something, let me know.

Chenernator
10-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Any tips on a really good meat supplier for ribs and butts ?

John Mull's Meats (http://www.johnmullsmeats.com) It's about 30-40 minutes from the Strip, but it's a legit butcher, and they'll trim everything to order.

Other options include Larry's Western Meats. Closer to the Strip, but I like Mull's better. Then you have the usual Restaurant Depot, Sam's, Costco, etc.

Meat Man
11-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Good cooking to all the Brethren. This looks like a really fun comp.

Basted moral support guy
11-02-2012, 08:59 PM
We ended up 6th in the Resers potato salad. It's hard to complain about that.

wjwheeler
11-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Have any of the contests results been posted? If so, where can we find them?

Big Poppa
11-03-2012, 07:16 AM
not bbq they elected to not have a mini awards which would have been cool to see where you stood. I got a tough gig here pit beotching for Scott of Pig Skin. A really fun time!

RangerJ
11-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Kicking myself for having to drop out of this one. Sort of like that event in Mexico a few years back. Seems work keeps getting in the way of my hobby....

Jorge
11-03-2012, 09:04 PM
GC Butcher BBQ

Funtimebbq
11-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Damn! Any way we could talk you into staying home?

Very nice to have met you and your team Doug. Hope you did well.

Benny

Funtimebbq
11-03-2012, 10:44 PM
The website for the event is stating Butcher's BBQ as the winner of the BBQ competition. Way to go.

stewartr002
11-04-2012, 12:06 AM
I've heard that Jesse Johnson of the Big Johnson's BBQ Team from Ogden Utah and a managing member of the Utah BBQ Association took second in pork. Those of us in the Utah BBQ Association are very happy to hear that!

Basted moral support guy
11-04-2012, 01:10 AM
We got 7th place in the side dish category. We'll take it! At least we're going home with some money...if you don't count the airfare, food, ingredients, and booze.

ThomEmery
11-04-2012, 05:47 PM
That was fun

Big Poppa
11-04-2012, 06:01 PM
What was fun? Judging? Cooking was a grind with the format. Did you judge one day or both?

ThomEmery
11-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Judged both days of BBQ and first round on Sandwich
Judges from all over the country

Kenny Rogers
11-05-2012, 01:37 AM
We went, we saw, we saw crazy results... but nonetheless had a great time! Great to meet you guys! I hope you got a chance to come by the pit and catch some of the Saturday tailgate action!

smokinit
11-05-2012, 06:46 AM
As always it was great finally meeting fellow Brethren face to face that was worth the trip in itself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Balls Casten
11-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Buchers won the BBQ and made it to 4th amongst the other contests.

Balls Casten
11-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Myron was a hoot at the final table standing up BBQ. Threatened Robin Leach if he wouldnt vote for BBQ.

Buchers recieved 4th or 5th at the final table.

Balls Casten
11-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Very nice to have met you and your team Doug. Hope you did well.

Benny

And you as well Benny it was a pleasure talking to you, we're gonna send you a couple tickets to this years Iowa Bacon"fest". :)

Our food turned out average which places you need the bottom in a contest.

pat
11-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Agree with Doug, very nice to meet you Benny! You and your wife are very nice people. Hope to see you down the road.

Shake'nBake
11-05-2012, 03:08 PM
We had a lot of fun, but it's good to be back home. Congrats to Butcher BBQ for making the Final Table. Too bad some of the judges at the final table didn't know what a burnt end was!

Kenny Rogers
11-05-2012, 06:06 PM
That was a lot of fun, but doubt we'll go back. They charged the teams for the events that they were invited to. They rushed all but the top 10 teams away after quickly reading off the results. They didn't even have the results for the teams that competed, so nobody knew where they placed (except the top 10) until they looked up the results after they made them available on-line. We paid $50.00 per ticket for the final dinner, and they were giving them away when you bought a couple of t-shirts?!? So the people that paid ahead of time got screwed. We drove thousands of miles, paid through the nose for an invitational and then told to hurry up and get out as they rapidly read the results. Many people (including myself)had many questions for the organizers, they were trying to contact for months before the event and we got no replies. Poorly organized, poorly managed, and really left many bbq competitors going WTF?

Congrats to the guys that DID win it, I don't want to take anything away from them, I heard the judges only gave 8's and 9's, NO 7's or lower... so it was a VERY close competition with LOTS of great bbq, and the best of the best got it.

INmitch
11-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Uh.......they gave lower than 8's n 9's. Don't ask me how I know.:roll:

Balls Casten
11-05-2012, 09:54 PM
That was a lot of fun, but doubt we'll go back. They charged the teams for the events that they were invited to. They rushed all but the top 10 teams away after quickly reading off the results. They didn't even have the results for the teams that competed, so nobody knew where they placed (except the top 10) until they looked up the results after they made them available on-line. We paid $50.00 per ticket for the final dinner, and they were giving them away when you bought a couple of t-shirts?!? So the people that paid ahead of time got screwed. We drove thousands of miles, paid through the nose for an invitational and then told to hurry up and get out as they rapidly read the results. Many people (including myself)had many questions for the organizers, they were trying to contact for months before the event and we got no replies. Poorly organized, poorly managed, and really left many bbq competitors going WTF?

Congrats to the guys that DID win it, I don't want to take anything away from them, I heard the judges only gave 8's and 9's, NO 7's or lower... so it was a VERY close competition with LOTS of great bbq, and the best of the best got it.

We had complaints too (I do hope they do something about the advanced ticket sales) but every time; we came to the conclusion that it was better than sitting in Iowa for the weekend. I am happy that someone is at least trying to make this a bigger sport and get more sponsors involved. Lets hope they do something with the comments and complaints and try again next year.

Big Poppa
11-05-2012, 10:44 PM
I was a guest but it was a strange deal to say the least. I would not go back.

big matt
11-06-2012, 07:34 AM

Couldnt have been said better and I feel the same way..except we only drove 4 hours and the fact when it was all over we were still in Vegas

JD McGee
11-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Whew! Glad that's overwith...what a mess! Congrats to all that got a call and to David for his BBQ/GC and 4th overall Final Table finish! A sandwich over BBQ...you got robbed brother! Lol! It was great to see old friends and make a few new ones. Most of all it was a great roadtrip with my cooking partner, life partner, and best friend...my wife! :thumb:

Razoo BBQ
11-06-2012, 08:10 AM
7 BBQ teams had 2 or 3 duplicate scores not with other teams but on their individual score sheets (ours being one of them) we have contacted kcbs about this and they are looking into it.

JD McGee
11-06-2012, 08:16 AM
7 BBQ teams had 2 or 3 duplicate scores not with other teams but on their individual score sheets (ours being one of them) we have contacted kcbs about this and they are looking into it.

Doug...we finally had a chance to look at our scores and see that we were tied with 3 other teams in pork, 6 other teams in brisket, and 3 other teams in sauce. I guess we got a computer coin flip as to where we placed overall. Not that it would have mattered much...lol!

G$
11-06-2012, 12:10 PM
I was a guest but it was a strange deal to say the least. I would not go back.

In the interest of trying to improve similar events in the future, can you elaborate, BPS?

luckyduk
11-06-2012, 12:36 PM
In the interest of trying to improve similar events in the future, can you elaborate, BPS?

IMO, no particular order except number 1
1. Do all the cooking/judging on one day not two, at a bare minimum judge all of the big meats on same day.
2. Charging teams for seeing the final table and what-not......
3. Porta-pots....the longest walk to turn-ins at the AR was shorter than the walk from the north end of the lot.
4. Entry fees...from what I understand the bbq cooks were the only ones charged.

Again this is just my opinion and they didn't do a terrible job for such a undertaking....I have been at smaller contests that were less organized

big matt
11-06-2012, 12:54 PM
IMO, no particular order except number 1
1. Do all the cooking/judging on one day not two, at a bare minimum judge all of the big meats on same day.
2. Charging teams for seeing the final table and what-not......
3. Porta-pots....the longest walk to turn-ins at the AR was shorter than the walk from the north end of the lot.
4. Entry fees...from what I understand the bbq cooks were the only ones charged.

Again this is just my opinion and they didn't do a terrible job for such a undertaking....I have been at smaller contests that were less organized
Actually giving us a score sheet in a timely manner would have been nice.

SmokeInDaEye
11-06-2012, 01:05 PM

oops.

SmokeInDaEye
11-06-2012, 01:12 PM
HAd a great time despite first year contest issues. Got a ton of photos and video, enjoyed the scenery and had a glad cooking with the triple treat Smoke In Da Eye, Purple Pork Masters and Mr. Bobo team.

Big Poppa
11-06-2012, 06:31 PM
its pretty much been said. I applaud them for putting it on...thats tough....

This is not backseat driving but A couple of ideas came to mind....have 84 teams....have a cut after the first day of a full kcbs cook....then thirty 36 teams cooking a secondday to see who gets the table...

A nice touch would have been to have announced where you stood after first day...little drama added

The parking lot and bathrooms were pretty funky....the payout a little better for such a big contest...1 in 82 chance of moving forward.

Iamarealbigdog
11-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Well the Black Pig BBQ made it to the final table and we placed 6th overall, devastated by a rule change the last three hours...:mad2:

For a massive event in its first year it went well but there are loads of issues to improve on. Make no doubts this was a competition the first three days and a television production the last.

Basted moral support guy
11-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Well the Black Pig BBQ made it to the final table and we placed 6th overall, devastated by a rule change the last three hours...:mad2:

For a massive event in its first year it went well but there are loads of issues to improve on. Make no doubts this was a competition the first three days and a television production the last.

You should definitely let them know your concerns. They can't improve unless they know their weak points.

Kenny Rogers
11-08-2012, 12:01 AM
its pretty much been said. I applaud them for putting it on...thats tough....

This is not backseat driving but A couple of ideas came to mind....have 84 teams....have a cut after the first day of a full kcbs cook....then thirty 36 teams cooking a secondday to see who gets the table...

A nice touch would have been to have announced where you stood after first day...little drama added

The parking lot and bathrooms were pretty funky....the payout a little better for such a big contest...1 in 82 chance of moving forward.

I agree, I'm not trying to slam them at ALL... I bet this was probably one of the HARDEST competitions to put on, with all the unions in play, and the logistics of it all, including the celebrity judges...
The organizers had an uphill battle for SURE!
I'm just saying that this missed the mark... hopefully it will be better next year, but if it's like this again next year, I DOUBT (never say never) I'll attend again...

djqualls
11-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Sounds like they would be best served to drop BBQ as a category next year since it seemed to be the most problematic.

sfisch
11-08-2012, 04:37 PM
The experience for us was pretty enjoyable, great meeting new people and being able to compete along side such quality teams. The downside for us was we decided to ship our equipment out. Here's where it gets interesting. The round trip from Michigan of 4000 miles by truck to the Expo Center warehouse in Vegas cost us just under $500.00. The trip from the warehouse in vegas to the contest site and back, probably less than 5 miles cost us just under $1000.00. Yes, those numbers are correct. Don't think we will be doing that again.

Razoo BBQ
11-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Weve had numerous ties with other teams before and i understand that, its that we have the same score in ribs(163 .4286) and pork(163 .4286) that is highly unlikely. The burnt finger team has the exact same score in 3 catagories- ribs, brisket and sauce (169 .7142 for each)
Since the total is carried out to the ten thousandth the odds of repeating that in your OWN scores is high even in vegas.

Ice Harbor Brewing

Kenny Rogers
11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Weve had numerous ties with other teams before and i understand that, its that we have the same score in ribs(163 .4286) and pork(163 .4286) that is highly unlikely. The burnt finger team has the exact same score in 3 catagories- ribs, brisket and sauce (169 .7142 for each)
Since the total is carried out to the ten thousandth the odds of repeating that in your OWN scores is high even in vegas.

Ice Harbor Brewing

Interesting... sounds like an error...

route66
11-09-2012, 01:56 AM
I have to say to pull off this event was a huge undertaking and given the first year they did a great job. I had the opportunity to talk with many of the Chefs, Sandwich Cooks, Hamburger Competitors, Potato Salad Cooks and BBQ Teams and the only complaints I heard were from my fellow BBQ Teams. While it was not a perfect event I have to applaud the organizers for what did go well and have great hopes it will happen again with a few tweaks. While I embarrassed myself with my scores I have to admit the competition was one of the best I have been to and very entertaining watching how other competitions transpired. I saw a fellow BBQ’er competing in the sandwich category and after the event he told me it was the most fun he had had in competition and hopes he has the chance next year, (in the sandwich cookoff). I tip my hat to the organizers for a job well done.

BurntFinger_Jason
11-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Interesting... sounds like an error...

I have my score sheet in front of me right now, and I can assure you it's not an error. We have different scores across all judges in each category, but they just happen to sum to the same overall scores. I agree that it's unlikely, but it's definitely possible.

Chenernator
11-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Sounds like they would be best served to drop BBQ as a category next year since it seemed to be the most problematic.

Based on the comments from the event staff, including Mike from MMA, BBQ was the least of his headaches. The judging in the other categories that didn't utilize KCBS judges was inconsistent at best.

NorthwestBBQ
11-09-2012, 09:26 PM
When is this contest going to be on TV?

Razoo BBQ
11-10-2012, 08:13 AM
I have my score sheet in front of me right now, and I can assure you it's not an error. We have different scores across all judges in each category, but they just happen to sum to the same overall scores. I agree that it's unlikely, but it's definitely possible.
This sounds good Jason........Can you tell me where I can get a copy of the six judges individual score sheets for us in each category?

Ice Harbor Brewing

Butcher BBQ
11-10-2012, 04:36 PM
When is this contest going to be on TV?

I haven't heard, if I hear anything I will let everyone know.

BurntFinger_Jason
11-13-2012, 04:20 PM
This sounds good Jason........Can you tell me where I can get a copy of the six judges individual score sheets for us in each category?

Ice Harbor Brewing

They had them available at the judges tent that evening. I picked mine up when I was walking back to our site after awards.

sfisch
11-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Same thing, got ours at the judges tent that night.

SmokeInDaEye
11-17-2012, 02:14 AM
Lots of great photos and a full recap coming soon to Grilling.com

DCFIREMANN
11-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Wow just saw this thread. We drove form "THE JACK" to Vegas pulling a 14k trailer. Once we got there set up was a breeze. I have to say WE HAD A BLAST!!!! I know there were a few problems but this contest was huge. We got caught up in a few issues but worked through them. The team got slam dunked in BBQ with what we thought was one of our best turn ins for the year. But you know how that goes. The good news is we finished 1st in the Reesers Potato Salad Challenge and 2nd in the side dish category. So the trip was a good one for us. We have an auto invite for next year and we will be going. But next year we will take out 16ft enclosed trailer instead of the fifth wheel. I would much rather stay in a hotel anyday. Not to mention the savings in fuel!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG