PDA

View Full Version : Which grill do you use most?

samfsu
10-25-2012, 09:27 AM
I have a Genesis Silver B that I use for all "grilling". I also have a 18.5" WSM that I just for bbq. I have the opportunity to buy a Performer for what i think is a good price $75.

My questions is for those of you that have a LP grill and a charcoal, which do you use most and why?

I dont have tons of space so I dont want to buy something i might never use.

One of the reasons I thought about buying the performer is this way I can give steaks and such smoke flavor... Ideas, thoughts welcomed and appreciated.

SmokinJohn
10-25-2012, 09:31 AM
It's about 50-50.

When I need to feed the family in the next 30 minutes, it's the grill. Sear for 2-2, cook for 3-3, rest for 5 and my steaks are done. While they are cooking, I can grill some veggies and starches.

But when I have the time (and there are no fire warnings in effect), I use the smoker for my tri-tip and ribs and butts.

And if we are having a party, it's all burners on deck!

mwmac
10-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Stop talking about the performer and buy it, or else it will be gone before you decide.

Panthers65
10-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Can never have too many grills.

Honestly the only time I use my LP grill is when I'm lazy, but my LP grill is a cheap-o. I've got a UDS and a medium BGE, and everything I cook I feel taste better over charcoal, charcoal just takes much longer to get up and going.

samfsu
10-25-2012, 09:36 AM
MWMAC very funny :) I am buying it. Just trying to understand what people use each for :)

mwmac
10-25-2012, 09:43 AM
MWMAC very funny :) I am buying it. Just trying to understand what people use each for :)

Just don't want you to miss out on it. IMO, you can't go wrong with a performer at that price, I have two, one fitted with the cajun bandit conversion for smoking duties that the WSM can't handle, the other for grilling duty. Be sure to post pics when u get it home...

cricky101
10-25-2012, 09:54 AM
About a year after getting my performer I gave my propane grill to a friend whose grill had just died. I just didn't use it enough to justify keeping it and taking up space in the garage. If I had a huge garage I would have probably kept it, but I don't miss it yet.

jfletcher84
10-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Is a gas assist performer? If it is is makes lighting the charcoal as easy as your gasser. At $75 go for it before someone else snatches that up.

Lake Dogs
10-25-2012, 10:01 AM
I have a large Lang, a smaller heavy duty old Brinkmann smoker that's like a Yoder,
2 Weber Silver 22's, and a Weber Genesis gasser. The most frequently used is the Genesis. However, the most volume of meat is the Lang, by a LONG shot. They each
have their purposes. Steaks, we prefer them on the gasser, but if I really want some smoke flavor on them I'll use a Weber 22. I use the Weber 22's mostly for hotdogs and hamburgers (and chicken when competing in KCBS comps), and we have 2 because we tend to entertain. The gasser; wife likes it for quickie grilled chicken or steaks. The smokers, the smaller one hasn't been lit since I purchased the larger one. I probably should sell it, but there will eventually be a time when I just want to smoke 1 or 2 butts and it doesn't make sense fuel wise to light up the Lang...

deguerre
10-25-2012, 10:04 AM
I've never owned a gas grill. Truth be told, I don't think I've ever cooked on one either, unless a gas stove top counts. Been to a cook-out where one was used though...

jacksedona
10-25-2012, 10:12 AM
i use my one touch silver grill,sometimes i use my weber smoker without water and use the lower grill:heh:

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

thirtydaZe
10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
my old Weber kettle is the only grill i use. my gas grill is pretty much left for dead at this stage.

whitelightnin92
10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
I have a weber lp and a uds. I obviously use my grill a lot but to tell you the truth if a had a kettle the grill would get used a lot less, but it would still get used. If its pouring rain or freezing or need a quick dinner, gas just can't be beat.

Petro49er
10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Throughout the week, I usually stick to my Weber S-670 NG for the sake of simplicity. Weekends are all BGE all the time!

chad
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I just got rid of an 18.5 inch Weber grill. Never used it. My Master Forge 5 burner with IR searing plate get lots of use: steaks go 1, 1, 2, 2 on the sear burner and preheated grates and meanwhile I'm sauteeing onions/mushrooms and veggies in a couple of pans. In other words, I cook on the grill using pans, multiple heat areas, etc. so gas makes sense for me. I use my Kingfisher or WSM for que but have an insulated electric smoker for smoking bacon, sausage, and the occasional pork butt or brisket. I use them all - depending on timing, amounts, and exactly what my goals are for that meal.

bigabyte
10-25-2012, 10:23 AM
I haven't used a gasser for years. I literally cook practically daily on my 22" kettle grills.

I understand the convenience factor some claim for a gasser, but I never found using my charcoal grills any more time consuming, and trust me, I have VERY little time to cook dinner most nights (four kids, two autistic, plus a job that is demanding).

Allow me to explain how I see no real difference in time. The first thing I do is grab 2 paper towels, a can of PAM, a lighter, and head outside to fire up the chimney. This takes at most a minute to spray two paper towels, put them under the chimney, fill with coals, and light. There is nothing at all time consuming about that.

Then I pull out the meat and season it up and maybe pull out a side or two to put on (unless the wife is fixing a side). On average about ten minutes maybe for all that. At that point I step back outside to dump the coals in the cooker, and I have adapted basically every recipe to cooking with coals on one side, allwoing me to cook direct, indirect, or both. This helps too, in that it's like having two cookers in one spot, saving time.

I think it cooks on the gasser and charcoal grills at the same speed.

So, looking bak at all that, I don't see where a gasser really saves any time. I guess maybe that minute to light up the chimney, but I fail to see how that is too much of a burden.

This only applies to me, I suppose. Some may have their grill further away from their kitchen, or some other circumstance that makes getting to their grill or starting it up more difficult than mine, in which case maybe a gasser makes sense. In my case, my gasser was unused for quite a few years and I finally let go of it this Spring, haven't missed it once.

qnbiker
10-25-2012, 10:28 AM
I use my Performer almost exclusively for grilling. If I need extra grill space, I have a spare Bar-B-Kettle. My Genesis Silver C ran out of gas 2 years ago and I never got around to getting a new bottle. For slow cooking, it's my Performer with my Smoke EZ attachment or my WSM.

sparky'
10-25-2012, 10:34 AM
don't own a gas grill. weber kettle and WSM cooks everything.

Smokey Al Gold
10-25-2012, 10:44 AM
I have a Weber q200 and a 22.5 otg and I use both alot. during the week I use the gasser for quick stuff and have learned to cook good on it. Weekends or days where I have extra time the OTG is my go to grill. You will be happy with the performer i guarantee it!

jfletcher84
10-25-2012, 10:51 AM
I use my Performer almost exclusively for grilling. If I need extra grill space, I have a spare Bar-B-Kettle. My Genesis Silver C ran out of gas 2 years ago and I never got around to getting a new bottle. For slow cooking, it's my Performer with my Smoke EZ attachment or my WSM.
If you dont want your gasser I will take her off your hands.

Pappy
10-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Performer

tnjimbob
10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
I cook on my Performer 90% of the time. Like Bigabyte said, to me there is little difference in prep time in lighting charcoal vs. warm-up of an LP/NG gasser. Start the fire, prep the food & cook times are very close, if not the same.

My Performer was a CL find, and even w/o the gas starter, it's still my go-to grill. The WSM is saved for larger cooks or comps. I can smoke on my OTG and Performer when I need to for smaller cooks, say only one butt or just a couple of slabs of ribs.

morgantm
My Bubba Keg gets used 50% of the time and then 25% goes each to the Silver B LP and the Performer.

Gnaws on Pigs
I have a bunch of cookers, but the most versatile one I have is probably my CG duo-has a good gasser on one side and a big barrel charcoal grill on the other, also have an offset firebox on it for smoking. It'll do about anything. Another one that's quickly becoming my favorite is my Akorn kamado, I prefer the barrel for hot grilling like searing steaks and such, but I love the Akorn for smoking and medium-temp grilling and pizza-making. I have a big homemade trailer grill that gets almost no use around home, but is burning all weekend when I'm out camping or at an archery shoot or something with a bunch of people. I can build a fire in one end, grill stuff over the coals, and smoke stuff on the other end.

rg02
10-25-2012, 11:17 AM
my gasser's side burner is great for starting my charcoal chimney lol. only time i use the gasser to grill is if it's downporing rain and i cant get my charcoal started. i use my 22.5" OTG for 70% of my grilling. the other 30% is split between my 18.5" '69 redhead and my smokey joe. as far as smoking--------i still use my kettles (wings, salmon, fatties, abts) but also have my mini wsm (ribs, wings, abts) and my heavily modified brinkmann gourmet (butts, chuckies, brisket, etc)

when my gasser goes i already have obtained permission from the wifey to get a performer :D

Grain Belt
10-25-2012, 11:28 AM
I am about 60/40 in favor of charcoal. I recently picked up a very nice Weber Summit four burner off of craigslist and often use it as an oven for potatoes and such because it is so powerful and easy to regulate temps. I use it as a pizza cooker at 600 plus degrees too. I cook a lot of larger cuts on my Mastertouch Weber kettle using the indirect method. I do about 80 percent of my families cooking and often cook two chickens or roasts at a time on the kettle to use the additional meat for dishes later in the week when the work week gets busy. For family gatherings and small parties I almost always cook on the charcoal grill something indirect. If I could only have one grill, it would be a Weber kettle hands down. On top of that, if I could only have two grills it would probably be two Weber kettles.

1buckie
10-25-2012, 12:14 PM
In theory, the one you're going to get can do all of it....

Pork......

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Egg%20Project%20%20%20Pulled%20Tip%20%209%2018%202 011/EggProjectPulledTip9-18-2011096.jpg

Beef.....

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Egg%20Project%20%20%20Pulled%20Tip%20%209%2018%202 011/EggProjectPulledTip9-18-2011065.jpg

Ribs...

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Last%20Sun%20Aug%202012%20015/LastSunAug2012093.jpg

Whole dinners.....(18-1/2")

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Mollys%20Bday%20July%202012/Carolyns%20Return%20Aug%202012%20001/CarolynsReturnAug2012007.jpg

Appetizers......

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Craigs%20B%20Day%203%203%202012/CraigsBDay332012021.jpg

High heat......

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/Craigs%20B%20Day%203%203%202012/CraigsBDay332012071.jpg

You'll be just fine with that & the others you already have.....

There's some good reasons presented here for the gas one's , also.....:decision:

chingador
10-25-2012, 12:21 PM
I have 3 grills, Primo Oval XL, Big Poppa Smoker UDS and a Weber Genesis gas grill. The UDS is new for me, but I like using it for slow cooked items. I use the Primo the most, over 50% of the time, and about 95% of the time for grilling. I barely ever use the Gasser. Mainly because I ran out of gas 3 months ago and never really had a good reason to refill.

caliking
10-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Performer. Gave the gasser to the lawn guy after not using it for 3+years. I use the Performer the most, the UDS comes in second.

Callahan-que
10-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I use my kettle the most for grilling and some smoking. The wsm and Cajun Bandit are used exclusively for smoking. I haven't used my Chargriller in years but I have thought about it. The gasser I bought several years ago for my wife to use when I'm not home as she won't mess with charcoal.

samfsu
10-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Wow thanks for all the replies. Have any of you ever done a while turkey on a weber?

landarc
10-25-2012, 02:42 PM
I have a UDS, two gassers, a 22" kettle, a smokey joe.

I cook mostly on the Weber kettle, it is my go to cooker.

Norm
10-25-2012, 02:43 PM
The one I use the most is my 26.75 weber. Next up for low and slow is my XL egg and the large egg is used for pizza and breads.

rondini
10-26-2012, 12:09 AM
My gasser rusted out, but I don't miss it. The reason is when I built my UDS, I built it so I could also use it to grill. If I build the fire right then weather is not a problem.

rcbaughn
10-26-2012, 03:40 AM
I have a Weber Spirit E-310 and a Performer, but the Performer doesn't have the gas assist so I find myself using the gasser for the simple fact of being able to handle the side dishes inside with having to fool with charcoal with the lighting, ashing, and preheating steps. It's pretty nice to be able to press a button and have the heat going. And if you want to get some smoke flavor it's pretty easy to add a pie tin folded in half with holes punched in it and a few wood chips thrown in. I put it on the front of the grill in between two of the flavorizer bars. Gives out a lot of smoke in a short time.

That said, I've read where people say that a Performer with the gas assist is almost as easy as a gasser, so maybe the one you found has it. I'd like to know what you think so if it does have that on your first grill.

benniesdad
10-26-2012, 03:51 AM
I am fortunate enough that I have a number of grills and plenty of room under a covered slab to store and use them. Hopefully you were able to snag that Performer, because a deal like that won’t come along too often. I love mine.

I probably split 50-50 on use of gas and charcoal. I tend to do more things on gas during the week and more on charcoal on weekends. To me it is more about what I am making. As much as I love the high temps of my Weber Summit, steaks, burgers, and chicken with skin on only get done on charcoal at my house. I do most fish on gas. Veggies, skinless chicken breasts, and pork chops get done on either.

You asked about turkey. I have been doing my Thanksgiving turkey for years on my WSM. I follow the basic procedures and recipe from the virtual bullet site using higher temps in the 325-350 range.

MaximumJEFF
10-26-2012, 03:52 AM
I have two UDS', an offset and a gas grill. I haven't cooked on my gas grill in years. I just use it as a table. I honestly don't know why I still have it.

mwmac
10-26-2012, 04:20 AM
In a trial run for Thanksgiving, did a 19 lb turkey about 3 weeks ago on the a performer with a Cajun Bandit conversion.

Dr_KY
10-26-2012, 04:45 AM
2 trailer pits, 2 UDS, 2 ProQ's , 1WSM, 1 mini offset, 3 Weber kettles, 1 E-Grill, 1 gasser, 4 Carson / Epicoa rotisseries and 1 Monolith (ceramic). My Monolith gets most of the work at home.

Bluebird
10-26-2012, 04:50 AM
My Performer with gas assist most of the time, makes lighting lump quick and easy. For big cooks I will fire up my Akorn in addition to my Performer. And for smoking my WSM.

Kloogee
10-26-2012, 06:09 AM
Wow thanks for all the replies. Have any of you ever done a while turkey on a weber?

I did our Thanksgiving turkey on my 22.5 Weber last year. It was the best turkey we've ever had. Just don't buy a monster or you may not be able to fit it under the lid.

samfsu
10-26-2012, 07:14 AM
I am fortunate enough that I have a number of grills and plenty of room under a covered slab to store and use them. Hopefully you were able to snag that Performer, because a deal like that won’t come along too often. I love mine.

I probably split 50-50 on use of gas and charcoal. I tend to do more things on gas during the week and more on charcoal on weekends. To me it is more about what I am making. As much as I love the high temps of my Weber Summit, steaks, burgers, and chicken with skin on only get done on charcoal at my house. I do most fish on gas. Veggies, skinless chicken breasts, and pork chops get done on either.

You asked about turkey. I have been doing my Thanksgiving turkey for years on my WSM. I follow the basic procedures and recipe from the virtual bullet site using higher temps in the 325-350 range.

Thanks for the reply. I did get the performer. It is in very good condition. Just a little rust on the edge of the cover and spots on the frame. No biggie. Also came with the cover for that price. Great deal! I was asking about turkeys on the performer. I have done turkeys on my wsm an it was excellent. Do you find that the performer gives steals and burgers a different flavor than the gasser?

1buckie
10-26-2012, 08:04 AM
I did our Thanksgiving turkey on my 22.5 Weber last year. It was the best turkey we've ever had. Just don't buy a monster or you may not be able to fit it under the lid.

If you somehow end up with one too big, lose the cooking grate & set it in a pan down on the charcoal grate w/ coals all around......
Done it that way for years.

Congrats on the score, it'll serve you well for a very long time !!!

thaifighter06
10-26-2012, 08:09 AM
I have a Weber Genesis that I haven't used since I got my BGE XL.

Texas Turtle
10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Since I got my CL WSM, it probably gets a bit more use since I can more easily do a smaller quantity of meat than on my big offset. I have a big gasser I use for burgers, steaks, and chicken breasts when I am time limited. My small aluminum Char-Broil grill is the preferred option for steaks or burgers when I have time to build a fire. My big horizontal barrel grill is best for large quantities of beer can or spatchcocked chicken. What can I say? When you have five different cookers you have to rotate.:laugh:

1Cavman
10-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Nice Score:thumb:
Mostly use my 22" OTG. Have a Masterbuilt SFB for some stuff and a CharBroil Gas/Charcoal Grill that is mostly used as a warmer for parties or quick burgers and dogs for the grand kids

benniesdad
10-26-2012, 09:36 PM
I was asking about turkeys on the performer. I have done turkeys on my wsm an it was excellent. Do you find that the performer gives steals and burgers a different flavor than the gasser?

I used to do turkeys on kettles before I got my WSM. IMHO, the WSM works so much better that I would never consider going back to doing it on a kettle. I made some great turkey on the kettle, but nothing like what I get off the WSM. I think the main reason is that the turkey itself if further away from the charcoal.

Kloogee
10-26-2012, 09:51 PM
If you somehow end up with one too big, lose the cooking grate & set it in a pan down on the charcoal grate w/ coals all around......
Done it that way for years.

That's a good idea. I'm putting the finishing touches on a UDS this weekend, so I plan on doing my turkey with it this year.

To the OP's original question, today I've got a 22.5 Weber kettle and a small Weber gasser. The only time the gasser is used is when we are need to eat NOW! Or when cooking for a large group and need the extra space.

Once the UDS is completed, I'm guessing the latter reason for using the gasser will go away. But there are certainly times we are in a hurry and it is useful for those times.

QansasjayhawQ
10-26-2012, 10:09 PM
I think the most important question is not which cooker do you use most, but which cooker do you know the best?

All cookers from the simplest Brinky Dink to the most complex reverse flow insulated monster can all cook good food.

It's whether or not the cook knows his instrument well enough or not that will decide how the end product turns out.

Beerbecue
10-27-2012, 05:58 PM
I use the one on the right (CGK) 80% of the time but I use the BabyQ when it's just one burger, one sausage, one piece of fish etc.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/armedgardener/9-10-12001-1.jpg

samfsu
10-27-2012, 06:10 PM
I use the one on the right (CGK) 80% of the time but I use the BabyQ when it's just one burger, one sausage, one piece of fish etc.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/armedgardener/9-10-12001-1.jpg

Nice setup. I used the performer for the first time tonight to cook some chicken legs and tri tip. Wow is all I can say about the tri tip. Soooo good. The performer was nice. Love being about to have a cooking area for searing and a less hot area. Great grill.

BobM
10-27-2012, 06:34 PM
I use my 22 1/2" OTG most of the time over my Genesis S-330.

Harbormaster
10-27-2012, 08:02 PM
I have a CL Weber Genesis gasser that I refurbished and have used three times, max.

Almost always use one of the pre-79 Weber kettles.

samfsu
10-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I used the performer tonight and loved it. Might be my new fav.

Ye Olde Party Palace
10-27-2012, 11:54 PM
I have never owned a gasser. I have cooked on them at friends' houses, and really didn't enjoy it that much. I prefer charcoal for grillin' and smokin'.:clap2:

Boshizzle
10-28-2012, 12:13 AM
I use my Bubba Keg most. It does it all.

MossyMO
10-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Yoder YS640

javahog2002
10-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Ever since I got the performer w gas assist, the gasser is only used when I don't have an extra 20 mins to start the coals. I usually make time. The flavor. And control/indirect is worth the trouble.

frankie482
10-28-2012, 03:17 AM
Throughout the week, I usually stick to my Weber S-670 NG for the sake of simplicity. Weekends are all BGE all the time!

That poor BGE is not living up to its full potential. Nothing could be more simple than firing up a BGE for a mid week cook.. :cry:

Bertha's BBQ
10-28-2012, 05:01 AM
I use this one the most.....Can use charcoal underneath the meat or wood in the fire box....cook as little as you want or 90 Butts at a time.....I am starting to use a smaller one I just bought for hamburgers and hot dogs.

Bertha's BBQ
10-28-2012, 05:06 AM
My smaller Hamburger / hot dog grill