PDA

View Full Version : First time Pron - First time pulled pork

logic
10-23-2012, 10:27 AM
First time posting pron, first time making pulled pork.

Got a little 3lb pork shoulder from the grocery store last week, figured its about time I make my own pulled pork. I only have an electric smoker that fits on my apartment balcony, so that's all I got to cook with. Used some apple wook chips and just water in the pan.

I forgot to take prep pictures. I injected the pork with Tony Chachere's butter injection then liberally applied some John Henry's east texas pork rub. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and left it in the fridge overnight.

Day of, pulled the pork and placed it on the counter for about an hour before placing it in the smoker. Cooked the shoulder at 250 for 4 hours then wrapped with foil and cooked for another hour and 20 minutes. At first I wasn't going to wrap it, but after 4 hours it was obvious that I needed to wrap it to get the food done before the end of the night. Sprayed some apple juice and cooking oil mixture every 45 min after the first hour.

Pulled the meat at probe tenderness. (185 degrees) Here is what I ended up with. I gotta say, it took a lot of will power to let the meat rest for 30 minutes. When I pulled it out of the smoker it wanted to fall apart in my hands. And so juicy too.

http://www.seriallogic.com/pictures/PorkShoulder/porkShoulder.jpg

http://www.seriallogic.com/pictures/PorkShoulder/pulledPorkShoulder.jpg

Notes:
-I wish I could get more bark, I really think the electric smoker isn't the ideal setup for good bark.
-After resting for 30 min the meat stiffened up more than I was expecting. Still really tender to eat, but had more resistance when pulling the pork than I thought it was going to have.
-Thinking after pulling the pork, I should add some salt and pepper or something. It was delicious but was missing something to throw it over the edge.

Gnaws on Pigs
10-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Looks good! Might could have cooked just a bit longer. And what was missing is called your choice of bbq sauce. Here in NC it would be a thin, vinegar-based sauce. I think you did an excellent job for your first try, looks really tasty!

SmokinJohn
10-23-2012, 10:34 AM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..........I'm drooling.....

logic
10-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Looks good! Might could have cooked just a bit longer. And what was missing is called your choice of bbq sauce. Here in NC it would be a thin, vinegar-based sauce. I think you did an excellent job for your first try, looks really tasty!

Thanks for the compliment!

About cooking it longer - Do you think instead of pulling at probe tender, I should cook it 5 or 10 degrees past probe tender?

thaifighter06
10-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Boo yah!

Pyle's BBQ
10-23-2012, 12:16 PM
I would cook it to at least 190. It may be probe tender, but itis just getting to the point where the collagen is breaking down. Also, add the rub you used in the beginning when you are pulling. You will have to taste as you go to get it where you want it.

thirtydaZe
10-23-2012, 12:23 PM
When i had my Bradley, i used yellow mustard on the meat, then rub to create a solid bark.

jfletcher84
10-23-2012, 12:24 PM
looks great! One or two suggestions IMHO. First a pork butt has enough internal fat and conective tissue that you dont need to inject it with anything. Second once the sugar in the rub has carmelized and bark has formed it acts as a protective barrier holding in the juices. you really dont need to spray it. spraying it lowers the temp in your pit and adds to the cooking time.

Porcine Perfection
10-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Very nice. :clap2:

logic
10-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks for all the pointers. Gives me a reason to buy some more meat!

Pyle's BBQ
10-23-2012, 01:09 PM
I would cook it to at least 190. It may be probe tender, but itis just getting to the point where the collagen is breaking down. Also, add the rub you used in the beginning when you are pulling. You will have to taste as you go to get it where you want it.

cowgirl
10-23-2012, 06:42 PM
It looks great!!

El Ropo
10-23-2012, 06:50 PM
It does look really tasty, but the finished not pulled pic of the roast looks like it could of used another hour to render out the fat, and release the magic.

For better bark, leave the foil in the pantry till the meat is probe tender.

Daggs
10-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Bravo! There's nothing better than trying to make something for the first time and it coming out well.
Keep up the good work!

wct
10-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Thats some mighty fine eating there. Great job!

Bluebird
10-24-2012, 05:14 AM
Looks like you did a great job.

wingpirate
10-24-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm going to have to try that Tony Chachere's butter injection, that sounds good. Usually I just do a simple apple juice/water/worcestershire/rub injection.

1911Ron
10-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Looks good from here! Some good advice about time and the foil and ain't nothin wrong with an electric smoker:biggrin1: