PDA

View Full Version : UDS lid question

chriscw81
10-22-2012, 11:45 PM
First off, please forgive me if this is answered in the REDONKULOUSLY MASSIVE uds thread. I've been searching and reading in my spare time around children and work for 3 days now and haven't found anything. I have a open-top lid for my upcoming uds that has a rubber-like gasket where the lid meets the drum. My question is this: what are the brethren doing with it? Removing it permanently? Putting it back somehow after removing the lid liner? It seems like it would be good to help seal the lid if it was left on.....provided it can survive high temps and is food safe. I was gonna remove it but thought I'd ask first.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/23/agy8yjyp.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

fr8erfxr
10-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Remove it and clean the glue residue with acetone or thinner. the lid will seal fine without it.

jim

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
10-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Off with it and that tan needs to go to bare metal and shiny

chriscw81
10-23-2012, 12:16 AM
thanks guys, the liner is definitely gonna go away.....followed by the rubber gasket. luckily it's the tan liner and it's pretty easy to remove.

Hotrodhog
10-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Remove the gasket, install the lid and ring, tighten it up, flip the drum over and your ready to build a UDS, you'll need a lid from a weber kettle, make sure you have the correct size drum though.

If the bottom ever rots out, you just replace the lid.