PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron question -enamel or no enamel

tb80
10-22-2012, 11:16 PM
I already have a couple campfire Dutch ovens with legs but would like one without legs for the kitchen. I was looking at whether to get an enamel covered Lodge Dutch oven or a regular cast iron Dutch oven. Any recommendations?

Also, what size would you recommend?

Thanks.

Bludawg
10-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Mine is black iron Lodge 12" it handles all my needs. That was the very first piece of cook ware I ever bought 32 yrs ago still my favorite piece today.

funman1
10-22-2012, 11:46 PM
I have never owned an enamel one.
All mine are just regular cast iron

Porcine Perfection
10-22-2012, 11:49 PM
If seasoned and stored properly plain cast iron will last a lifetime.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DerHusker
10-23-2012, 01:10 AM
I have some enameled La Creuset and I find that I use my Lodge & Camp Chef cast iron much more. (Due to ease of clean up)

MS2SB
10-23-2012, 01:14 AM
I've got a 6.5 qt oval le creuset that I use constantly. Clean up an maintenance are a snap. The benefits of the enamel are ease of cleaning asvu can use soap. As well as the ability to handle acidic foods such as tomstoe sauce and vinegarry BBQ sauces.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

eddieh70301
10-23-2012, 05:53 AM
I have both. Regular lodge is used outside on a gas stove. The enameled ones are used inside on the cook top.
If you have a gas stove buy the regular lodge pots/pans. You can't use the regular ones on a cook top.
To be honest, I really don't like the enamel pots. The skillet does not season well and the pots have an enamel coating on the inside that is hard to keep clean and it stains.
Lodge should have just taken a regular cast iron pot/pan and enameled the outside.
Stay away from the enamel ones if at all possible.

CarolinaQue
10-23-2012, 06:00 AM
I have both kinds and use both regularly, depending on what I'm cooking.

lola
10-23-2012, 06:18 AM
Both have their place in the world of cooking. Enamel is easy to clean and requires no maintenance so those afraid of rust this is the best for you. It also does the acid type food with ease. However, for outdoor cooking and IMO a more robust flavor the bare CI does the better job, but does require some additional effort to keep in cooking ready condition. Like I said, each has its advantages.

Bluebird
10-23-2012, 06:37 AM
All I own is regular cast iron.

4ever3
10-23-2012, 06:56 AM
We have both, and I go for the Lodge every time... My vote, save the money and buy Lodge.

seadad9903
10-23-2012, 08:35 AM
i have both, and use both pretty regularly (fried some homemade chicken nuggets last night, yummy). to me they are different tools for different jobs. the enameled are lecruset and get heavy use on the stove top for most dishes, as others have said they clean up easy and are good for acidic food. i also like them for veggies and side, i can dump a bag in, put it on low and they'll be cooked around the same time as the main dish.

the non-enameled get used for frying, on the grill and for breakfast

MisterChrister
10-23-2012, 08:59 AM
As another poster said, much more robust flavor from naked iron; well worth the little bit of extra effort. IMO, the older USA stuff like Griswold and Wagner has a much smoother mill finish than the new Lodge stuff making it easier to season and clean. That said, my Wagner stuff cooks and tastes as good a my Griswolds for half the price! My go to DO is a 50 year old 12" Wagner with a basting lid and a wire bail handle. I gave away my Lodges and won't buy enameled.

Porcine Perfection
10-23-2012, 09:10 AM
If you have a gas stove buy the regular lodge pots/pans. You can't use the regular ones on a cook top.

I guess I have been doing it wrong for the last 30 years. I have used them both on a coil range and a glass cooktop with no problems other than the usual one of controlling temperature. I would much rather have a gas stove.

GMDGeek
10-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Grew up in Scouts ... my dad had 14 dutch ovens by the time I was an Eagle Scout and that was 20 years ago. I now have 4 of those very dutch ovens at my house. Treat em right and they will out last you.

Gnaws on Pigs
10-23-2012, 10:13 AM
If seasoned and stored properly plain cast iron will last a lifetime.

And then some. My favorite CI skillet is well over a hundred years old, it was originally my great-grandmother's, then my grandfather's, then my mom's, and I've been using it almost every day for about twenty years now. It doesn't look like it's gonna wear out for about ten more generations, either.

I have both. Regular lodge is used outside on a gas stove. The enameled ones are used inside on the cook top.
To be honest, I really don't like the enamel pots. The skillet does not season well and the pots have an enamel coating on the inside that is hard to keep clean and it stains.
Lodge should have just taken a regular cast iron pot/pan and enameled the outside.
Stay away from the enamel ones if at all possible.

What in the world are you talking about? I have used regular CI pans on a glass cooktop pretty much every day for over twenty years with absolutely no problems. Used them thousands of times on regular electric coil burners, too. So do most other people I know. I have certainly never heard that one. If anything, they work better on a cooktop than on a gas burner.

CarolinaQue
10-23-2012, 10:52 AM
I had always heard that you shouldn't use cast iron on a flat top also, so I went with a standard coil stove top. Then I learned other wise. I wish I would have known before I had this stove put in.

1911Ron
10-23-2012, 03:22 PM
A well seasoned cast iron piece will cook anything you want, but don't boil water as it will break down your seasoning.