PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Stone Cleaning

Riskyguy
10-21-2012, 10:38 PM
I have a pizza stone from the Ceramic Grill Store. After a couple of months the stone looks pretty black and my pizza crust tonight burned pretty quickly. Can the stone be cleaned? Should it be cleaned? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Foxfire
10-21-2012, 10:46 PM
The discoloration isn't much to worry about but caked on debris certainly is.

Pop the stone in a cold oven and let it heat up to highest possible temp for an hour (500+). what we're hoping for is to disintegrate any stuck-on gunk.

Turn off the oven and let the stone slowly drop in temp with the oven. Scrape off any charred junk with a wooden spatchula. Barring that, use a metal dough scraper or grill spatchula.

If you still have gunk, let the stone cool down and run under hot water. Scrub with a clean nylon or bristle brush and baking soda. Dish soap will soak into the stone and make your future cooks taste disgusting. Don't submerge a hot stone in water or it may crack. Let the stone dry completely before next use.

Good luck!

BBQchef33
10-22-2012, 12:24 AM
i clean my stone with crumpled up aluminum foil. if its unsealed ceramic(like BGE ones) and really bad, light sandpaper does good too.

Ashmont
10-22-2012, 02:51 AM
The discoloration isn't much to worry about but caked on debris certainly is.

Pop the stone in a cold oven and let it heat up to highest possible temp for an hour (500+). what we're hoping for is to disintegrate any stuck-on gunk.

Turn off the oven and let the stone slowly drop in temp with the oven. Scrape off any charred junk with a wooden spatchula. Barring that, use a metal dough scraper or grill spatchula.

If you still have gunk, let the stone cool down and run under hot water. Scrub with a clean nylon or bristle brush and baking soda. Dish soap will soak into the stone and make your future cooks taste disgusting. Don't submerge a hot stone in water or it may crack. Let the stone dry completely before next use.

Good luck!

I accidently left mine in an oven once and hit the oven clean button which takes the oven to a highhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh heat and it looked bran new. :mmph: