PDA

View Full Version : WSM Top Leaking

Porcine Perfection
10-21-2012, 08:51 PM
I noticed that my lid does not fit as tight as it used to. Tightening the cooking chamber with a ratchet strap helped a bit but I would like to put some type of high heat weatherstripping around the chamber lip to seal it up a little better. Has anyone tried this and what did you use?

nthole
10-21-2012, 08:56 PM
I use pork and beef grease. 6 years worth will usually keep that lid on tight!

I know there's some gasket rope that you can get from fireplace stores and I think there's also some kind of caulk type gasket that will work. Problem of course is you gotta clean the bageezus out of chamber or lid lip to get this anything to stick. The ol fashion cheap way is to just put a bit of foil around the lip at the start of a cook and push the lid down into that. Usually seals it up pretty tight.

DLR
10-21-2012, 08:56 PM
I just take a few strip of tin foil and tuck it around the lid, it's not perfect but it does reduce the amount of smoke seeping out or like nthole said just let the grease build up around it but when I let mine go long enough to seal around the lid the center section stuck to the lid and came off with it :shock:

J'ville Grill
10-21-2012, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't worry a bout a little leakage, it's no big deal.

timzcardz
10-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Exactly.

If yours is anthing like mine (and it is), it comes from the factory with 3 holes in the top, and they're designed to "leak".

MisterChrister
10-21-2012, 09:31 PM
It's shot, give it here! :grin:

Soybomb
10-21-2012, 10:04 PM
I always run my wsm exhaust wide open when I'm not using a blower, I wouldn't worry about it.

Porcine Perfection
10-22-2012, 10:02 AM

That is NOT what she said. Going to the woodpile penalty box. :biggrin:

Cayman1
10-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Has the barrel gotten out of round? Easy to bend back. Just take a tape measure and measure in both directions and bend very easy until back to round. A little leakage isn't too bad. When my controller fan is on I can get some leakage.
There is a rope like tape you can get. It may be a green egg item.

BobM
10-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Mine leaks, it's fine.

NorthwestBBQ
10-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Forgetaboutit!

realspaazz
10-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Sometimes I give my lid a little spin, and then it fits better. A little leaking around the edges is just fine.