PDA

View Full Version : Blues Hog sauce on competition meat

Uncle Buds BBQ
10-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Use it now, used to use it, or never used it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Uncle Buds BBQ
10-19-2012, 06:51 PM
As a judge I am seeing it a lot on chicken...maybe sometimes on ribs.

Vote and then tell us why!!!

Jason TQ
10-19-2012, 06:59 PM
How encapsulating is "use it now"? Even if it a very small portion of the total end sauce? Lots use it to different ratios. So might need some more voting criteria.

Uncle Buds BBQ
10-19-2012, 07:19 PM
How encapsulating is "use it now"? Even if it a very small portion of the total end sauce? Lots use it to different ratios. So might need some more voting criteria.
Use it now = One drop to full strength and everything in between. :nod:

Jason TQ
10-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Use it now = One drop to full strength and everything in between. :nod:

What about half a drop? :razz:

landarc
10-19-2012, 07:32 PM
I have not used it, but, I have seen it used often. And I have seen brisket with it in the dip take first twice. Also seen it on ribs, cut, do quite well.

pat
10-20-2012, 02:42 AM
Never heard of it

JimmyDAL
10-20-2012, 06:46 AM
What's. Blue Hog?

Uncle Buds BBQ
10-20-2012, 08:35 AM
What's. Blue Hog?
Sorry.

Blues Hog is a line of sauces and rub created by Bill Arnold in Missouri. Bill is a competitor.

The sauce has a distinct flavor and aroma that most folks can identify. It has been used quite often in the Southeast.

The reason I ask the question is that some teams think the use of it has been played out and that due to more teams using it makes their turn in not as unique as in the past.

CBQ
10-20-2012, 08:45 AM
The reason I ask the question is that some teams think the use of it has been played out and that due to more teams using it makes their turn in not as unique as in the past.

It's certainly not unique any more. Our team has 5 comp classes, and they ALL use Blue's Hog in some form. Judges say they are tired of it, but it still seems to win more that other sauces. I think many teams now mix it with other stuff to get some of that flavor, but doesn't scream "Blues Hog!" to the judges.

Untraceable
10-20-2012, 09:04 AM
First rule of Blues Hog is you never speak of Blues Hog

:gossip:

Bbq Bubba
10-20-2012, 09:15 AM
unacceptable

Gowan
10-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Here's a secret: Unique doesn't win at KCBS contests.

Big Mike
10-20-2012, 12:48 PM
^^^^^^ Ain't that the truth

Nordy
10-20-2012, 12:48 PM
First year in BBQ comps... decided not to use Blues Hog out of some silly principle that "everyone uses it so I won't"....

Was struggling in a couple of categories... reluctantly added Blues Hog the last two contests... Walked in the "struggling" categories both contests...

So... forget "principles"... go with what wins.

ique
10-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Judges say they are tired of it,

The judges lie! :wink:

fat heads bbq
10-20-2012, 03:47 PM
not a big fan of the original. but i do like how it glazes up some rib. i do like the red.

Scottie
10-21-2012, 08:36 AM
If you're not using you are losing.

Yeah, judges are real tired of it.... Not.

Bbq Bubba
10-21-2012, 09:44 AM
"I dont like when i taste BH on a turn in"

SAID NO JUDGE EVER!!!

bbq.tom
10-21-2012, 11:18 AM
"I dont like when i taste BH on a turn in"

SAID NO JUDGE EVER!!!

WRONG!!!
I have said it and will say it again! BH overpowers the flavor of the meat IMHO.

Gowan
10-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Obviously, Bill has lots of fans of his product, and rightfully so.

On the other hand, Scottie is incorrect when he says "if you're not using it, you are losing". I know plenty of teams that never use Blues Hog that grand regularly. I know an equal number that do use one or more BH products and win with equal frequency.

The bottom line is that Blues Hog is used often on the KCBS circuit; sometimes it wins and sometimes it doesn't.

JayAre
10-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Damn, no wonder I dont win, I thought this was a meat contest not a sauce contest

sdbbq1234
10-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Don't use it, but then, I have only competed in 2 comps. I just bought a jar of BH. It tastes good, but not sure what meat I would use it on. I am going to try some over the winter and see.

The comps that I have judged, well I would not know if I had tasted it or not. I do agree that you should be able to taste the meat and not just the sauce or glaze.

IMO, the sauce or glaze should enhance the flavor of the meat; not over power it.

wallace

DawgPhan
10-22-2012, 07:57 AM
Damn, no wonder I dont win, I thought this was a meat contest not a sauce contest

wrong on both counts, these are bbq contests.

DawgPhan
10-22-2012, 07:59 AM
also this whole "over powers the meat" is a bunch of non-sense. Same with the meat contests stuff. Unseasoned meat does not taste every good. Seasoned meat tastes a lot better.

Scottie
10-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Sorry Gowan. Those that win without it is on a very very small minority.

dhuffjr
10-22-2012, 09:18 AM
ALL sauce overpowers the meat to some degree in my opinion. Yes it can complement it but your still gonna have competition between meat and sauce on the taste buds.

All this sauce stuff has me wondering. Has anyone tried different sauces on different pieces say in a pork box? One sauce on pulled another on slices????

Podge
10-22-2012, 09:49 AM
My last 3 GC's were 0% blues hog.

Mexi "Q" Tioner
10-22-2012, 10:59 AM
I use BH pretty much all the time on my ribs. I usually mix it with another sauce to give it a lil heat/kick because it tends to be a lil too sweet for some peoples taste.

Warthog
10-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Lots of BH passing the judging tables.

Bourbon Barrel BBQ
10-22-2012, 12:19 PM

Our 4 GCs and 3 RGCs were 0% BH. However, I do feel like an exception and not the rule at most contests.

Scottie
10-22-2012, 01:07 PM

You are good though.

Uncle Buds BBQ
10-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Don't forget the key ingredient!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/23/6ujupada.jpg
OK...so it looks like I have lost control of this thread....enough BBQ talk...time to make some home made hamburgers....

http://unclebudsbbq.com/Dalton/burger.JPG

Big Mike
10-22-2012, 06:11 PM

How many times I gotta tell ya JayAre. It's all about the sauce. So, next comp you have to use the Vinegar sauce. It is all the rage.

BBQ_Mayor
10-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Blues Hog = Competition BBQ
Got to use it in some fasion cause thats what the judges want. Until then, BH is where it's at.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-22-2012, 10:02 PM
i go through a gallon a comp. we suck though so who cares

Q-Dat
10-22-2012, 10:56 PM

A gallon in one comp? I believe you, but I would be curious to hear the breakdown on going through that much.

Gowan
10-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Sorry Gowan. Those that win without it is on a very very small minority.

Maybe up there in Yankeeland.

Down here in Dixie you're dead wrong Scottie.

polishdon
10-23-2012, 09:20 AM

Holy crikey, we use a gallon for 4 comps, how much meat you cookin for 6 judges??? :shock:

QTEX
10-23-2012, 09:25 AM

Maybe your cooking too much food, cook less and focus more so you wont suck anymore. Worked for me anyhow.

cpw
10-23-2012, 09:29 AM
The first time we got any sort of call with pork was using a doctored up version of Blues Hog, so we're still using it.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-23-2012, 10:46 AM
I just make a lot of sauce for each category, almost 1/2 of a deep half pan for each. I dont use brushes so I need a lot of sauce if you catch my drift! We actually do ok in comps had a gc this year a few rgc's and a few first places in categories. I was just messing. But I do truly use a gallon per comp.

Scottie
10-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Maybe up there in Yankeeland.

Down here in Dixie you're dead wrong Scottie.

Ive done alright in comps down in the south. I wasnt really meaning that you cant win without it. But the success that Blues Hog has had on the comp bbq circuit is second to none.

Gowan
10-24-2012, 01:30 AM
I agree with you there Scottie. As I said earlier, lots of teams use BH and win. Then again, lots use it and lose, too. It does beg the question, does the product win frequently because of its attributes, or does it win because it is used so often?

Either way, Bill's sauce has become a staple of KCBS contests.

Podge
10-24-2012, 07:54 AM
I agree with you there Scottie. As I said earlier, lots of teams use BH and win. Then again, lots use it and lose, too. It does beg the question, does the product win frequently because of its attributes, or does it win because it is used so often?

Either way, Bill's sauce has become a staple of KCBS contests.

Good Point. If 80% of the teams use it, then statistically, 80% of the people who win, use it. Does it mean it's the BEST sauce? Not necessarily, just means it's the most used. I think the sauce is great, I can sit there an eat a jar of it. But I choose to be different and prove you don't need it to win.

va92bronco
10-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Good Point. If 80% of the teams use it, then statistically, 80% of the people who win, use it. Does it mean it's the BEST sauce? Not necessarily, just means it's the most used. I think the sauce is great, I can sit there an eat a jar of it. But I choose to be different and prove you don't need it to win.

If 80% of the teams use it, then I think it is the best sauce for competition RIGHT NOW. That can change of course, but with so many teams using it. Its hard to say that it is not the best sauce to use as a base right now.

That doesn't mean that you HAVE to use it to win, but its not going to hurt your chances.

Its also like a smoker. If 80% of the teams used the exact same smoker, then that would be the best smoker for comps, but that doesn't mean you would have to use it to win.

Just depends on your style of cooking as usual.

CMALANGA
10-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Why Blues Hog? Becuase it works.

Q-Dat
10-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Hmmmmm...are top teams winning because they are using Blues hog? Or is Blues Hog winning because it is being used by top teams? Kinda like the cook or the cooker question.

The whole thing seems to be one of those chicken or the egg debates.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
10-24-2012, 01:04 PM
This could probably be an endless debate. It is good sauce, but I'll bet that the winning teams are cutting it with something and not using it straight. I use a doctored version and it has served it's purpose well.

va92bronco
10-24-2012, 01:38 PM
This could probably be an endless debate. It is good sauce, but I'll bet that the winning teams are cutting it with something and not using it straight. I use a doctored version and it has served it's purpose well.

I bet that the vast majority of teams are doctoring the sauce in one way or another.