PDA

View Full Version : Organizing Recipes

tb80
10-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Does anyone have a good way to organize recipes? I see threads or websites with recipes I want to try all the time. However, I end up forgetting about them or not being able to find them again. I have tried bookmarking them but that doesn't seem effective. Any suggestions?

deguerre
10-17-2012, 12:00 PM
If it's here, and I really want to keep it, then I subscribe to the thread. If it's a recipe website, I copy paste from the printable view into a word document and save as "dish whatever" in my documents recipe folder. Subfolders are created when enough recipes of a type have been saved.

JimF
10-17-2012, 12:02 PM
I store my life in Google Docs. I have a folder for Smoking Recipes. Then subfolders for the type of meat. Inside those folders I have documents I have created with Copied and pasted recipes (with pictures). This way, I can access them no matter where I am; kitchen, work, grocery store, etc....

Cast Iron Chef
10-17-2012, 12:09 PM
I use Now Your Cooking (recommended on this site) recipe book. When I see a recipe I copy and email to myself. When I have time I put it in NYC and add good tags to search latter.

Skidder
10-17-2012, 12:25 PM
If it's here, and I really want to keep it, then I subscribe to the thread. If it's a recipe website, I copy paste from the printable view into a word document and save as "dish whatever" in my documents recipe folder. Subfolders are created when enough recipes of a type have been saved.

What he said!

colonel00
10-17-2012, 12:32 PM
I do what deguerre does on this site. Also, I use Evernote to store and view documents. It does a very good job on a lot of different levels. For instance, if I copy text from this site, it actually stores the link and all references so I can always go back to the post. It also can transcribe written stuff to text via a photo from your phone.

Wampus
10-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Sheesh....y'all are organized SOB's.

I still print recipes and stuff them in my ever growing drawer full of cookbooks and recipes in my kitchen. :roll:

J'ville Grill
10-17-2012, 12:41 PM
I use Living Cookbook to organize my recipes. Also if you use Firefox as your browser there's an add on called Recipe fox which will allow you to grab entire recipes with a single mouse click from many sites.

kirkg
10-17-2012, 12:45 PM
awesome site....quickly accessed through an app as well...its free too

http://www.pepperplate.com/

lkissell
10-17-2012, 01:06 PM
I'll second the vote for Pepperplate.com. Easy to use and I can now store and retrieve all of my recipes easily.

orangeblood
10-17-2012, 01:07 PM
mastercook. you can buy an older release real cheap on ebay.

easy to use, and contains a feature to scale up a recipe as well as nutrional analysis.

Daggs
10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
I guess I'm old Fasioned, I use note cards. It's organized by color. Each type of food has a color.

Petro49er
10-17-2012, 01:12 PM
I also use Evernote like Colonel00. You can use the web clipper to grab a screenshot or even take a photo with your phone. Evernote can also search text in images if you are looking for something. Pretty nice setup.

qnbiker
10-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Another vote for Pepperplate.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Gnaws on Pigs
10-17-2012, 01:35 PM

This.

palmtreefrb
10-17-2012, 01:50 PM
I store my life in Google Docs. I have a folder for Smoking Recipes. Then subfolders for the type of meat. Inside those folders I have documents I have created with Copied and pasted recipes (with pictures). This way, I can access them no matter where I am; kitchen, work, grocery store, etc....
Same +1

MS2SB
10-17-2012, 01:57 PM
I'd love to say that I was organized, but most stuff is floating around the cookbook area on the back of envelopes, notecards, post-its etc and crammed into the folds of books and binders or just floating around in the mess that it my head.

Terry The Toad
10-17-2012, 01:57 PM
I have not used it, but my wife is always "pinning" recipes on Pinterest.com

PitRow
10-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Another vote for Evernote here. I like the fact that I can put a recipe in it and access it from my computer, my laptop, my smartphone or my tablet, whichever I have handy.

IamMadMan
10-17-2012, 02:02 PM
I have tried several recipe programs over the years, and they come and go without continued support for the program for new operating system changes.

I have learned to make a directory "Recipes" and then build your sub-directory structure into that directory saving the recipes in a .txt format (using notepad). This way they can be easily imported or converted into any other program or format.

But you have to decide what works best for you and follow that method.

Bludawg
10-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Evernote!

tb80
10-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Good stuff. Thanks guys. I'll look into some of these ideas.

fingerlickin'
10-17-2012, 02:27 PM
EVERNOTE. I've tried the pepperplate and big oven and some others. I like being able to use the webclipper add on in firefox and highlight a recipe then save it to whatever notebook I want in evernote. I have things like, BBQ recipes, deserts, sauces, side dishes. Then using the evernote app on my phone they are right there when I need them in the kitchen, grocery store, etc. That's pretty much all I use evernote for although you can do much more with it.

cricky101
10-17-2012, 02:36 PM
I copy and paste the recipe, and the web page's URL, into an e-mail and send it to myself with the recipe name as the subject.

I use gmail, which lets you set a category for the message (kind of like putting it in its own folder), so I flag it as a recipe and it's filed away under that category with all the others.

Gmail has a good built-in search so if I'm looking for something specific I'll search for a keyword (pork loin, finishing sauce, etc ...). Or I can select the entire recipe category and browse all of them at once.

I've got quite a few recipes so have been debating setting up some sub categories, but I end up using the search most often.

swinn
10-17-2012, 02:54 PM
I use dropbox. Made a folder for cooking stuff, then sub folders got each kind of cooking. Get to it from phone and any computer.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

kenthanson
10-17-2012, 03:34 PM
+1 for Evernote

accuseal
10-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Make it three for Pepperplate.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

pigdog
10-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Mr clueless here,

How do you subscribe to. Thread and what does that allow you to do?

SirPorkaLot
10-17-2012, 05:24 PM
I used to use index cards..then I went to folders on my computer, then i went to a cloud drive (like google drive)...

now that it is 2012 and almost 2103 I have evolved and will never use anything but Pepperplate.

it has a fantastic recipe app for smartphones along with bookmarklet add-ons for Chrome & Firefox.

bo_gator
10-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Awhile back I created a workbook in Excel, and every recipe in there is its own worksheet. I name the worksheet with the recipe name, and can scroll through the work pages looking at the names until I find the one I want. This is working OK, but once it gets up there in recipe numbers, I am expecting to to be tough to scroll through looking for the recipe I want.

To overcome this potential problem with Excel, I am in the process of programming my own program for my desktop computer. Since I am an accountant instead of a computer programmer, these little projects take time to get finished. :blah::blah::blah: The good news is that I work with a bunch of programmers, so it is a time matter instead of a 'don't know what I'm doing' thing. :loco:

If I ever get it finished, I will be more than willing to share it with you guys :cool:

IamMadMan
10-17-2012, 08:05 PM
If I ever get it finished, I will be more than willing to share it with you guys :cool:

Thanks...

Ackman
10-17-2012, 08:13 PM
I use a program called YummySoup. It allows you to load a recipe from a web site and breaks it out into ingredients, steps and loads the pics.

bbutts
10-17-2012, 10:14 PM
I have found Evernote to be the best way to keep recipes. It is on my phone as well as having an excellent web clipper. You can scan in recipes

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Sierraslick
10-17-2012, 11:06 PM
I use the Living Cookbook as well. It captures web recipes easily and is simple to use.

NorthwestBBQ
10-18-2012, 03:52 AM
I use my computer.

garyk1398
10-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Another vote for Pepperplate.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

I like this site as well.

swinn
10-18-2012, 08:30 AM
OK update: I checked out Evernote and a few others. I am converting my entire Dropbox recipe section to Pepperplate.com!! I dig this program and app. plus I will be adding our standard recipes for weeknight dinners to it and I can make my shopping list by selecting the weeks menu. We plan weekly menus anyway so this will work out nicely.

Wyley
10-18-2012, 08:50 AM
Pepperplate for me.

Jorge
10-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Master Cook 11 and Evernote.

Master Cook gives me the ability to scale, create menus, and shopping lists. I can also export recipes and shopping lists to Evernote and then sync with my phone. I can also organize my shopping list by where items in the store are located. Produce is all together, spices and seasonings, meat, etc... I'm still in the process of exporting recipes to Evernote, so that I can easily send them to others as needed or access them on my phone while shopping if needed. I rarely leave the house to shop without my phone, but do have the bad habit of leaving the house without a shopping list.

PitRow
10-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Hmmm... after seeing recommendations for pepperplate I decided to check it out too. I like it. I do think the interface in evernote is cleaner and easier, but I like some of the features of pepperplate better. I think I'll try using both for a while and see which one I like better.

The_Kapn
10-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Master Cook 11 and Evernote.

... recipes to Evernote, so that I can easily send them to others as needed ...

That's it--I just threw away my recipe file and will just call Jorge :grin:

I used to collect recipes, but finally quit. Now if I want to try something new, I just search here first because we have a ton of info on almost anything I want to cook. I also subscribe to the inspirational or informative ones.

If nothing here, I check Youtube and the WWW. Look at several (or many) variations of the item and then apply what I know about cooking to come up with a plan/recipe. Most recipes have common processes or core ingredients and I just build from there.
And, no, I do not blindly follow what I read on the WWW :grin:

Kinda fun to see what others are doing :grin:

TIM

posey's_pork_pit
10-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Pepperplate ~ it's a wonderful thing! :biggrin1:

QDoc
10-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Pepperplate

cricky101
10-18-2012, 01:19 PM
OK update: I checked out Evernote and a few others. I am converting my entire Dropbox recipe section to Pepperplate.com!! I dig this program and app. plus I will be adding our standard recipes for weeknight dinners to it and I can make my shopping list by selecting the weeks menu. We plan weekly menus anyway so this will work out nicely.

I checked out PepperPlate and am in the process of getting my recipes moved to it now. It's really handy!

I really like the bookmarklet for the web browser. So when I see a recipe on a "supported" site (seems like it's only recipe sites, not blogs, forums, etc ...) it automatically adds it. Nice!

QDoc
10-18-2012, 01:29 PM
I checked out PepperPlate and am in the process of getting my recipes moved to it now. It's really handy!

I really like the bookmarklet for the web browser. So when I see a recipe on a "supported" site (seems like it's only recipe sites, not blogs, forums, etc ...) it automatically adds it. Nice!

It's a great app. Free. You can copy and paste manually for recipes not on supported sites.

I always go in manually and catagorize the recipes according to food groups, Beef, Pork, Ckicken, Seafood, Rubs, Sauces, etc. I type thes in front of the recipe name.

SirPorkaLot
10-18-2012, 01:41 PM
One of the things I like about Pepperplate is the sharing ability.

Here are two recipes from my pepperplate file.

This one I picked up here

Guerry's Slaw

INGREDIENTS

One head chopped cabbage - no other vegies!
1/2cup vinegar
6tbs sugar
6tbs EVOO
2 1/2tsp dry mustard
1tsp celery seed
1tsp dried celery1
~ 2 tbs hot sauce to taste . (I've been using Sriracha lately)

INSTRUCTIONS

1.Combine vinegar, oil and other ingredients in a sealed jar and give it a vigorous shake. Pour over chopped cabbage and toss. Let sit in fridge for two hours or longer (Overnight if you can resist). Toss again before serving.

and this one off of the interwebs

Burger Buns

INGREDIENTS

Buns
3/4 to 1cup lukewarm water
2tablespoons butter
1large egg
3 1/2cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4cup sugar
1 1/4teaspoons salt
1tablespoon instant yeast
*For best results (a smooth, slightly soft dough), use the smaller amount of water in summer (or in a humid environment), the greater amount in winter (or in a dry climate); and something in between the rest of the time.Topping3tablespoons melted butter

INSTRUCTIONS

1.Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients - by hand, mixer, or bread machine - to make a soft, smooth dough.
2.Cover the dough, and let it rise for 1 to 2 hours, or until it's nearly doubled in bulk.
3.Gently deflate the dough, and divide it into 8 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball; flatten to about 3" across. Place the buns on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover, and let rise for about an hour, until noticeably puffy.
4.Brush the buns with about half of the melted butter.
5.Bake the buns in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden. Remove them from the oven, and brush with the remaining melted butter. This will give the buns a satiny, buttery crust.
6.Cool the buns on a rack.

1buckie
10-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Evernote is really good, but I'm just getting started using it & figuring out the "How" .....pic storage a big PLUS!!!

Woodmonkey
10-18-2012, 01:58 PM
I have used Living Cookbook since '05 and am very happy with it. One disadvantage is that you can only access it from the computer it is on.
http://www.livingcookbook.com/

rdenn_58
10-19-2012, 02:51 PM
We take recipes and put them on our laptop into a RECIPE folder and then subfolders such as BBQ, APPETIZERS, DESSERTS etc. Because the house is set up for WiFi, we can take the laptop to the kitchen or out back with the smokers. We can read our recipes and notes or inputs new notes as we go along. This keeps from having a huge recipe paper file box and saves cabinet space.

mistertom
10-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I have been keeping recipes saved as pdf or word doc in a folder on my hard drive for years, but I am finding over time that I am ending up with a lot of different folders from each time I have formatted or change computers etc. pepperplate looks really good. I think I will take the time to find all of my recipes to store there.