PDA

View Full Version : Gravity feed smokers for restaurants

Cliff H.
10-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Does anyone have a clue which gravity feed unit would be big enough to use in a restaurant setting ?

Anyone have experience with overnight cooks in the restaurant setting with a charcoal fired smoker ?

I need some direction

Thanks

Pyle's BBQ
10-17-2012, 01:31 AM
I have some of the same questions.

Bbq Bubba
10-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Gravity feed in a restaurant is prolly going to be a no-no.
NSF cert comes to mind but who wants to serve bbq cooked over charcoal???

Jaskew82
10-17-2012, 07:46 AM
The biggest gravityfed smoker I know of is the Stumps XL Stretch. That MIGHT be big enough for a small restaurant.

Cliff H.
10-17-2012, 07:51 AM
It seems that everyone uses gas these days.

I'm thinking that if a BBQ biz hung sign out front that said they cooked over wood then they could corner the market in any town.

In a restaurant setting I have really only seen either gas fired units, brick pits which require tending through the night and a occasional corner joint with an offset which also requires tending.

I'm wondering if there is restaurant size smoker that operates like a UDS.

Seems like Big Bob Gibson uses some form of offset brick pit. I would like to see those specs.

Bbq Bubba
10-19-2012, 07:20 AM
It seems that everyone uses gas these days.

I'm thinking that if a BBQ biz hung sign out front that said they cooked over wood then they could corner the market in any town.

In a restaurant setting I have really only seen either gas fired units, brick pits which require tending through the night and a occasional corner joint with an offset which also requires tending.

I'm wondering if there is restaurant size smoker that operates like a UDS.

Seems like Big Bob Gibson uses some form of offset brick pit. I would like to see those specs.

Gas is for fakes.

I cook on an Oyler. All Hickory wood fire. Runs 24-7.

Cliff H.
10-19-2012, 10:48 AM
I have never looked at the specs for Oyler pits. Thanks Bubba.

SirPorkaLot
10-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Gas is for fakes.

I cook on an Oyler. All Hickory wood fire. Runs 24-7.

I was going to suggest a J&R Oyler....

All the cool BBQ restaurants use them.
Wood fuel, temperature controlled fan and rotisserie.
What more could you ask for?

Coz
10-20-2012, 09:41 AM
The biggest gravityfed smoker I know of is the Stumps XL Stretch. That MIGHT be big enough for a small restaurant.

Stumps also makes Platinum models which get much bigger

42BBQ
10-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Oyler's sound and look sweet (I've checked them out online but not in person) however, the Southern Pride gas fired/wood burning seem like they would be ideal for a restaurant. Since you are burning wood, I don't see it as a compromise just because it's gas fired. That being said: I have never tasted say, brisket off of one vs an Oyler or all Stickburning pit.

getyourrubonbbq
10-20-2012, 12:52 PM
At the end of the day the Health Dept. like it or not is going to have the final say. If their rules say NSF your pit has to be NSF. Check with them first.

The Cosmic Pig
10-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Gravity feed in a restaurant is prolly going to be a no-no.
NSF cert comes to mind but who wants to serve bbq cooked over charcoal???

How is BBQ cooked over hardwood charcoal with wood chunks added different than BBQ cooked over hardwood in an off-set? Actually, I can control the smoke flavor better this way, and also not watch my pit all night long. I just don't see a difference?

gooose53
10-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Friend of mine uses a Fast Eddies in his restaurant.