PDA

View Full Version : Lodge Sportsman's Charcoal Grill

Baysidebob
10-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Does anyone use one and how do you like it?

glh17
10-14-2012, 12:05 PM
I have the same question. I've had a Lodge Sportman in my cart at Amazon for a good while. We spend a week in a condo in Florida every summer and I'm going to get a Lodge or a Weber Smokey Joe before we go back next year.

I almost bought a WSJ while down there this past summer, but decided to wait and make sure I wouldn't prefer the Lodge. I need something that's small and easy to store cause we're usually packed tight.

eddieh70301
10-14-2012, 01:49 PM
I have one and love it. Takes a little getting used to. I've cooked steaks, boneless chix, burgers, sausage and flat bread. All came out great.
Nice char on the outside. Beware it is heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepdad
10-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Used to have one until it was stolen at a campground. Cooked great and yes heavy. Long cool down time. Small grilling area. Cooks real hot so you have to keep and eye on things if your set in your ways with another grill. Clean up was a little bit of a pain I guess. Make sure you season the whole thing real good.

mbshop
10-14-2012, 03:35 PM
i have one and they are nice little cookers. that being said, i would suggest a
weber charcoal go-anywhere.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/mbshop-wheels/IMG_0500.jpg

HighLife
10-14-2012, 06:52 PM
I love mine. Great for grilling skewered meat. Nice sear. Grill a little of a pain to clean due to its being cast iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nemo
10-14-2012, 07:45 PM
I have one and what Eddie says is pretty spot on. I actually use it mostly for yakatori / kebab type stuff. Fast high heat with great cast iron grill marks is what I think it's best at. Be aware that it gets really hot and stays hot long after you're done cooking plus you can't just leave it out in the weather because it'll rust of course. Fortunately it isn't that big and I can fit it in my gas grill and close the lid so it won't get wet.

Overall I'm very happy with it for specific high heat searing but it would take a while to feed a crowd with it. A smokey joe might be a more versatile choice if that's your only cooking tool.

caliking
10-14-2012, 09:44 PM
i have one and they are nice little cookers. that being said, i would suggest a
weber charcoal go-anywhere.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/mbshop-wheels/IMG_0500.jpg

For a first portable grill I think the CGA is a better choice. It is so versatile. Check out some of the threads by Phubar et vie for awesome cooks which demonstrate how versatile it is.

Having said that, the Lodge CI grill is get fun to cook on, especially things that need to be seared on high heat. Just needs some TLC.

MisterChrister
10-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Love my charcoal Weber Go Anywhere, wouldn't trade it for any other portable.....

Beerbecue
10-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Another vote here for the WGA. A grill with a cover is much more versatile than an open hibachi plus you can make it better still with cast iron grates from Craycort.

R2Egg2Q
10-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Welcome to the Brethren Bob! I thought you had the approval for a Mini BGE?

There's a Bay Area Brethren Bash on Nov 17 that you might want to check out (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145512)

NorthwestBBQ
10-15-2012, 01:41 AM
WGA rules!

Baysidebob
10-16-2012, 07:43 PM
So ordered the Sportsman Sunday and it got here today. I took it on a dry run to see how it behaved. 30 briquettes with an electric starter and it was up quickly. I have a small deBuyer skillet that suffered a mishap and needed some seasoning so I slapped it on. In just over a half-hour the skillet was over 400 degrees on the grid (legs up) and smoking the canola oil per the IR thermo (I’m a temp freak). Switched the grid to legs down. Amazon reviews complain about the space the logo takes up in the center of the grid but I find it great for checking the temp with the IR. She stayed well above 300 for an hour but at 1:05 she fell below 300. Next run will be more briquettes. I have two ribeyes bathing in merlot for tomorrow. The plan is to cook taters, wok veggies, saute sauce and cook the steaks. If it works I’ll post something. If not, well it won’t be my first failure. I don’t intend to do a lot of full meals on it but I think it will be a great companion to my large BGE for sides and sauces.

mbshop
10-16-2012, 08:38 PM
congrats ! you still made a great choice and hope you enjoy it !

Baysidebob
10-16-2012, 09:18 PM
congrats ! you still made a great choice and hope you enjoy it !

Thanks. "Portable" is not my issue and this wouldn't be the best choice for that. I do believe it will meet my needs as a BGE companion and a dandy hot and fast grill for two.

mbshop
10-16-2012, 09:58 PM
just a heads up. if you do get a wga, you can still use the lodge grate on the ga if ya need the ci grate.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/mbshop-wheels/IMG_0515.jpg