PDA

View Full Version : comp ribs vs. backyard ribs

dano
10-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I have had some luck with comp ribs but haven't cooked backyard ones in a while. In the past I haven't used foil with backyard but since having success lately with foiled comp ribs, I was wondering what things you guys might do different for the backyard smoker vs a comp turn in?

GreenDrake
10-09-2012, 02:25 PM
I take every chance when doing backyard ribs to practice comp ribs. That being said I add a little more heat to mine most of the time, other than that it's always practice for me.

landarc
10-09-2012, 02:31 PM
The biggest difference is that I cook how I want for backyard, I try (and fail) to cook what someone else wants for comp ribs. This also holds true for when I cook for others, as in catering, entertaining etc...

Lake Dogs
10-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I try to cook the best tasting, most tender ribs I can each and every time... They happen to do well in competitions, and they seem to get snarfed fairly quickly when I cook at home.

Bludawg
10-09-2012, 02:50 PM
I cook the same every time everywhere and it don't include foil.

Mexi "Q" Tioner
10-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I take every chance when doing backyard ribs to practice comp ribs.
Same here!

bigabyte
10-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Ribs is the only KCBS category where the comp version can even remotely compare to backyard in my case...and maybe even most cases. Very few are injecting ribs, or doing other things that seem crazy to the average person like happens with chicken, pork and brisket at comps.

The main differences are personal preference, really, as in tenderness (some like fall off the bone which is a no-no in comp) or sauce (some like them dry but comp ribs do better with a sweet sauce on them).

I cook ribs the same at home as I would at a comp. I'm not a fall-off-the-bone guy, and I like a sweet glaze on my ribs.

What I don't do at home is box them.

chrisnjenn
10-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I cook the same every time everywhere and it don't include foil.

Without fail.

The_Kapn
10-09-2012, 04:25 PM
I try to cook the best tasting, most tender ribs I can each and every time... They happen to do well in competitions, and they seem to get snarfed fairly quickly when I cook at home.

Hance nailed it!!

I just cook them and folks (to include Judges) seem to like them.
Gives me "warm fuzzies" :grin:

I gave up over-thinking the tenderness thing a long time ago.

TIM

bo_gator
10-09-2012, 06:20 PM
The biggest difference is that I cook how I want for backyard, I try (and fail) to cook what someone else wants for comp ribs. This also holds true for when I cook for others, as in catering, entertaining etc...

I have a simple rule for entertaining, if you don't seem to enjoy it, odds are you won't get invited next time. :mmph:

Boshizzle
10-09-2012, 06:30 PM
When I cook ribs at home for friends and family I use pretty much my comp recipe. When I cook for myself, I use a very savory rub/low sugar on them while cooking and serve with the same dry rub on the side with some vinegary/hot sauce (Shack Attack). That wouldn't go over well in a KCBS comp, unfortunately.