PDA

View Full Version : Low and slow on mini - Success!!

Minikstd
10-07-2012, 05:38 PM
So after I made my plate setter for the mini I've wanted to try a brisket. Publix didn't have a 3lber so I bought two 2 lbers. Filled with coal to the top of the fire box and lit in one spot on top. Let her hit 300 and threw on my wet hickory chips and the first brisket. I must say I am impressed with this little guy, held 250 no problem for 2 hours and had to let that one finish I oven because we're eating around 8 and had to get the other on, it's not as thick. DID NOT ADD ANY coal and th other has been cruising at 250 for an hour so far. So yes, it's possible and the mini is just that, a fully capable mini egg!! Ill let ya know how they turn out, this is my first time smoking anything so we will see. Going for 190 internal temp.

landarc
10-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Sounds cool, glad it is working for you.

bronc76
10-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Minikstd- You should go until probe tender. With briskit the temp is not as important as the tenderness. Ive had some probe tender at 195 and others all the way to 215 before they gave up and went tender. Also make sure you give them plenty of time to rest, preferably wrapped tight and in a cooler. Good luck hope it comes out great for you!

Minikstd
10-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Good tip, the one is at 180 now and is getting more and more tender, but still too tough. Ill follow that for sure!

Bludawg
10-07-2012, 06:17 PM
So after I made my plate setter for the mini I've wanted to try a brisket. Publix didn't have a 3lber so I bought two 2 lbers. Filled with coal to the top of the fire box and lit in one spot on top. Let her hit 300 and threw on my wet hickory chips and the first brisket. I must say I am impressed with this little guy, held 250 no problem for 2 hours and had to let that one finish I oven because we're eating around 8 and had to get the other on, it's not as thick. DID NOT ADD ANY coal and th other has been cruising at 250 for an hour so far. So yes, it's possible and the mini is just that, a fully capable mini egg!! Ill let ya know how they turn out, this is my first time smoking anything so we will see. Going for 190 internal temp.
I eat Hamburgers that size:razz:

Minikstd
10-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Well I fear for your health!:wink:

newsushi
10-07-2012, 08:01 PM
snip.

I'm getting toward the end of my mini build and set it up (without any hardware) to cure the paint job. Mine held 220-240 without any trouble for 3 hours. I'm looking forward to finishing and completing my first smoke. Glad yours is doing well too.

rg02
10-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Take some pics of that brisky and your mini. I love my mini. Crazy how efficient and consistent they are. I use mine constantly for fatties, wings, ribs, and ABTs. Have yet to do a smoke longer than 6 hours on it though...