PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Teams Business Licenses

pmanzi
10-02-2012, 09:42 AM
We competed this past weekend at Smoke-n-Thunder in Rome GA as a backyard team and did well walking for Ribs, Chicken, Peoples Choice and Reserve Grand (backyard). When I got home I noticed the checks were made out to the team name and not to me personally and as this is just a fun hobby I don't have a business under the team name so that I can cash the checks. I have contacted the organizer and they are willing to recut the checks and make it right so no worries there. Before sending them back the checks I did get to get that process rolling I wanted to check and see what other backyard teams do as it relates to creating a business for their team. I think I can create a sole proprietorship with a DBA of the team name so that if this happens again I would be able to cash the checks but given that we only do 3-4 comps a year not sure the cost of the license is worth it, or if since it is technically a food service business will I even have trouble getting a license since I don't have a kitchen to work out of.
any insight others have in how they have handled similar situations would be great.

Fat Freddy
10-02-2012, 10:15 AM
My bank has no problem cashing checks made out to my team. They just have me sign the back like always. Of course since I cook for several people at the bank that may make a difference.

Jason TQ
10-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Hey Phil. Good to see you guys there and good job too. I saw this as well and caught it right before I left luckily. All they did was add my name next to the team name on the check and told me if I had an issue they would issue me another. The cashier at the bank did still look at it funny and go see the manager, but they took it.

It is a small issue though and not sure why they cut the checks this way since so many of the teams are not businesses. I thought the would go off how we signed the tax form so they can see if you put a business name with a tax id number or just your name with ssn. But they didn't have us fill out the forms till close to turn ins and they checks were already cut.

I've done about 20 competitions starting from last year and this is only the 2nd time I've had the issue. The first time it was a run around. Hopefully it can be something they become aware of for next year. Other than that it was a great competition from what I saw :grin:. I'm starting to do all the competition reviews online and will mention it. I'm sure just a little oversight.

All that blabbing being said to answer your actual question :becky:, I can only recommend checking your check before you head out or double checking with the organizer before hand how they will issue the checks. I almost missed it till I was in the car about out of the gate. Not worth setting up the business for your situation I would guess.

pmanzi
10-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Good meeting you too Jason. I tried adding my name next to the team name and my bank still would not take it. Tried going to the issuing bank and they would not cash them either. Guess I have no option other then to mail them back and get another one sent to me.

Lake Dogs
10-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately this is a mistake made by the organizer... Hopefully they'll learn to just make the checks out to the head cook (listed/required on almost every entry form I've ever seen).

DawgPhan
10-02-2012, 02:53 PM
it has been a while since I picked up a check, but seems like they were always made out to the team name.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-02-2012, 02:57 PM
if an organizer doesnt have a place to who the checks are to be made out to, I write down the side and highlight for them who I want the checks made out to...PLEASE MAKE CHECK PAYABLE TO...... it seems to work. oh and I always photo copy my entry form and check...just in case...

Divemaster
10-02-2012, 04:00 PM
My bank had no problem opening a DBA account without me having to start a bus.

Check with your bank. Mine is actually free and I use only that accout for all of my comp payments from meat to gas. It let's me track the expenses with greater ease too.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

pmanzi
10-02-2012, 04:29 PM
My bank had no problem opening a DBA account without me having to start a bus.

Not sure if it is state rules or different banking rules but they would not let me open a DBA account without a business license.