PDA

View Full Version : Weed burner

thillin
11-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Not that kind!:cool:

Got a new one. It scares me a little though. It's like holding a jet engine. Question is, do I need a regulator to ease back on the jet?

It's this model listed:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91033

I'll try it again tonight, or in a couple of days.

Ty

jt
11-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Hmmm....mine is a little different and doesn't have the trigger. Does the knob on top turn to control the flow at all? What about only cracking open the tank?

I agree with the jet engine sound - mine is supposed to burn around 500,000 btu. Usually starts a fire in whatever I point it at. :twisted:

Trout_man22
11-29-2005, 02:03 PM
I don't use one on mine. The only problem is with the new tanks I had to adjust the valve to get a good flow of fuel.

brdbbq
11-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Not that kind!:cool:

Got a new one. It scares me a little though. It's like holding a jet engine. Question is, do I need a regulator to ease back on the jet?

It's this model listed:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91033

I'll try it again tonight, or in a couple of days.

Ty

Can see the news choppers flying over now.

Smoker
11-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey Phil,

I think we can use that to crisp up the skin on the chicken thighs right before turnin.

Steve

Arlin_MacRae
11-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Turbo blast trigger?? Oh YEAH! I'm flipping that page to mama as a Christmas gift idea. :)

thillin
11-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Turbo blast trigger?? Oh YEAH! I'm flipping that page to mama as a Christmas gift idea. :)

It was like $17 in the store

BBQchef33
11-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Seen those for lighting the fires in the firebox and some use it for cleaning the pit too. Does a great job preheating, and it makes so much noise ya get to pretend your flying an f14 on afterburner. :twisted:

wsm
11-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey Phil,

I think we can use that to crisp up the skin on the chicken thighs right before turnin.

SteveWhy not just inject with liquid smoke and then use the weedburner on the chix? No need to use the smoker at all:roll:

chad
11-29-2005, 06:02 PM
I've got that model brush burner - I almost never use the trigger. I just turn up the flame with the control knob, but then I usually don't adjust the gas at the bottle either. I use the burner to clean the grates and occassionally to preheat my cooker (I have a custom sized burner for that).

I don't use the brush burner often but it was well worth the few buck.

The_Kapn
11-29-2005, 06:02 PM
A couple of guys have mentioned using the tank valve to control LP flow.

I was taught that gas valves "sealed" in the full "CLOSED" or full "OPEN" position. Partial opening has a slight chance of leaking, cause that is not how they were designed.
So, I never try to use them as a pressure regulator (actually a flow limiter), but use a real regulator for that.
Chicken me http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Just a thought.

TIM

dxesmkr
11-29-2005, 08:01 PM
I got one like that.It does work great for preheatin the pit.I don't use a regulator.The knob on top of the burner works as the regulator.I think I wasted a whole tank of propane when I first got the burner kickin' in the afterburner and just playin around(pyro mod).:grin:

p.s.- Can't use it to crisp chicken skin cause that's using a illegal heat source. :grin:

Willy T.

Kevin
11-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Hey Phil,

Steve

It does a fine job of crisping the skin on your fingers. Not that I've ever done that!

Brauma
11-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Seen those for lighting the fires in the firebox and some use it for cleaning the pit too. Does a great job preheating, and it makes so much noise ya get to pretend your flying an f14 on afterburner. :twisted:

I'll second that. I saw a guy on the Food channel lighting up a big smoker/cooker with one of those things. Cats ass of lighters without a doubt.

nmayeux
11-30-2005, 07:47 AM
I just got one from Northern Tool, and its the cat's @ss!! I just use the little valve on the handle to control pressure. So far, I haven't seen anything better for lighting the fire pit, smoker, or my buddy's cigar! Sometime, I need to try it on weeds!

Arlin_MacRae
11-30-2005, 08:34 AM
I just got one from Northern Tool, and its the cat's @ss!! I just use the little valve on the handle to control pressure. So far, I haven't seen anything better for lighting the fire pit, smoker, or my buddy's cigar! Sometime, I need to try it on weeds!

I asked the wife for a new cigar lighter too. Hell, I think we can combine the two!

jt
11-30-2005, 10:02 AM
I asked the wife for a new cigar lighter too. Hell, I think we can combine the two!
It's wind-resistant as well.

Sawdustguy
11-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Instead of using a weed burner, does anyone know of a propane starter kit that can be added to a smoker?

Samichlaus
11-30-2005, 07:27 PM
A couple of guys have mentioned using the tank valve to control LP flow.

I was taught that gas valves "sealed" in the full "CLOSED" or full "OPEN" position. Partial opening has a slight chance of leaking, cause that is not how they were designed.
So, I never try to use them as a pressure regulator (actually a flow limiter), but use a real regulator for that.
Chicken me http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Just a thought.

TIM

Tim could not be more correct. The tank valves are designed to be open or closed. When I worked in R&D for Baxter Healthcare we had people try to do the same with compressed gas cylinders, not only would the valves leak, the valve would "migrate" and change the gas flow dramatically and unexpectedly.

Don't feel like a chicken, using a real regulator is smart.

BBQchef33
11-30-2005, 10:44 PM
Instead of using a weed burner, does anyone know of a propane starter kit that can be added to a smoker?

New braunfels has a small one they call the diamond igniter. it a small torch fired off a small 2lb tank.

i used to use a ring buner and slide it under the firegrate, now I find it just as easy to start som ekingsford in a chinmey and go from that.

brdbbq
12-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Use papper and a chimmney gives me time to try and get laid before I cook.....never works though.

sfisch
12-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Hey Sami;
Your avitar is about 20 miles from where I live, its off of I-75 in the City of Troy. Been a good joke around these parts for years.

Scott

kickassbbq
12-01-2005, 09:34 AM
I have one of those and I sometimes get it out just to hear the noise!!!!! I love fire.
I am going to get it out right now and crank up the Ol smoker for some of those NASTY ++S rib tips. I love those greasy little things.
PARTY!!!!!!!!
ed