PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a weber

cmwr
09-28-2012, 06:07 PM
What I want to do it replace the table (it's cracked) with something nice. I would love to make it my tailgating grill for our local university. Their colors are green and white. Has anyone ever customized a grill like this? Is it hard to repaint the grill? I know this porcelain paint is hard as a rock. I am afraid if I repainted this the new paint would NEVER be a durable as the factory paint and it would scratch really easy. Can you buy custom replacement tables for these Webers or should I make my own out of wood?

I am open to suggestions and pics. This is an expensive grill. I was gonna try and make my new UDS as a combo smoker tailgating grill but having this weber at home I just can't abandon it. Plus with that extra big table on the side if is too handy for holding extras. I attached an attachment file of a pic of my weber unit.

Smokin' D
09-28-2012, 06:25 PM
The porcelain on the kettle itself will not hold paint, so I'd leave it as black. The frame is just painted steel, so painting that the right shade of green should be fairly easy. The hardest, and most satisfying piece, will be the new top. Wood would be my choice. How about getting some maple and make a butcher block type top. Some green aniline dye or stain applied to half the pieces and then glue it together alternating a stained piece then a plain piece and so on. Plane it down, shape to fit , finish with some exterior poly and you will have a grill to be proud of! Just a thought.

realspaazz
09-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Weber probably stocks an oem replacement table top. If you want to make a custom top, a countertop fabricator might have some leftover corian in the school colors that could be glued together and fabricated into a table top.

mbshop
09-28-2012, 10:05 PM
an easily removable wood top would be my choice. have seen some that looked great.

cmwr
09-28-2012, 10:29 PM
The porcelain on the kettle itself will not hold paint, so I'd leave it as black. The frame is just painted steel, so painting that the right shade of green should be fairly easy. The hardest, and most satisfying piece, will be the new top. Wood would be my choice. How about getting some maple and make a butcher block type top. Some green aniline dye or stain applied to half the pieces and then glue it together alternating a stained piece then a plain piece and so on. Plane it down, shape to fit , finish with some exterior poly and you will have a grill to be proud of! Just a thought.

I love this idea but I don't have those kind of wood tools. It would look sharp with a top like that though. I have wondered about a slatted wood top similar to what a porch swing would look like. Lots of ideas. I noticed one tiny area on the lid that has a paint chip and some rust. Should i do anything to repair that or just let it go?

mbshop
09-29-2012, 01:03 AM
on all my chipped parts i just put some pam on it. eventually it gets a nice covering. paint seems to have trouble and also if its not perfect, stands out more. but yer call.

cmwr
09-29-2012, 07:01 AM
on all my chipped parts i just put some pam on it. eventually it gets a nice covering. paint seems to have trouble and also if its not perfect, stands out more. but yer call.

Really? Interesting. Does the Pam get a greasy feeling or tend to run all over the surface?

Smokin' D
09-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Wood top idea #2. Use some tongue and groove maple flooring. You can glue them together, or not, and use a couple pieces screwed through the bottom to hold it together. The ends will look funky, but just attach a piece across them and all will be good. Stain the wood before fabricating, poly or perhaps even better, pour on a thick bar top epoxy for a smooth finish. All you will need to make a top from this wood is a saw and a screw driver. Easy peasy, maybe.

I use a bit of Crisco on any exposed metal on my cookers. Works great and does not become sticky or run.

mbshop
09-29-2012, 04:42 PM
some of it will run, you wipe that off. but it tends to give a nice cover and it prevents further rusting. most spots that have been treated and then the grill stored for a long time show no rust. its the easiest thing to touch up if needed ! i have no problem with the grills showing their war wounds.

cmwr
09-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Wood top idea #2. Use some tongue and groove maple flooring. You can glue them together, or not, and use a couple pieces screwed through the bottom to hold it together. The ends will look funky, but just attach a piece across them and all will be good. Stain the wood before fabricating, poly or perhaps even better, pour on a thick bar top epoxy for a smooth finish. All you will need to make a top from this wood is a saw and a screw driver. Easy peasy, maybe.

I use a bit of Crisco on any exposed metal on my cookers. Works great and does not become sticky or run.

Now thats a nice idea!

Churrasqueiro Bob
09-29-2012, 08:52 PM
I'd bet BBQ-Brethren member Marty Leach would have some ideas for a wooden table. He has a Performer too and makes some great wood handles for Weber Grills and a few others too.

http://www.amlwoodart.com/index.html