PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin' about smokin' a turkey on a UDS...

jalon
09-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Never have done one. Would probably do a test run around Halloween, that way if it comes out crappy I can give it to the kids (just kidding).

For those who have done it on a UDS, any thoughts? How long, what temp (I'm guessing stay with 225ish), orientation on the grill (up or laying down), etc.

Thanks in advance (have to say it, go Gamecocks!!!)

sassage
09-28-2012, 06:18 PM
I've done 1 before and I actually did it hot and faster and I think it came out better for the skin. I cooked it around 325 just laying down. Shoved an orange and a onion in the cavity, no stuffing

smokainmuskoka
09-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Sassage, did you have the turkey in a pan, or just sitting on the grate?

jalon
09-28-2012, 06:26 PM
I love the crispy skin...that's what I'm shooting for, a glorious red crispy skin!! Interested to know if it was in a pan or on the grate, thanks.

sassage
09-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Sassage, did you have the turkey in a pan, or just sitting on the grate?

I just did it directly on the grate but had a pan below it catching drippings. I wanted to try and hold the color back a little bit so I actually covered in butter soaked cheese cloth... Still crispy skin but not too dark of color. Turned out great.

pwa
09-28-2012, 07:44 PM
I Did one last Thanksgiving, Though I had a post on but can't find it. Here are some of my notes:

18lb Turkey 8.5% solution, I brine'd it overnight anyhow. Injected with 1 stick of butter with volume matched apple juice. Rubbed with yardbird between skin and breast, covered skin with EVO. Smoked at 350-400F for 3.5 hrs(directly on the rack). I had a broiler pan underneath it full of gravy fixin to catch all the drippings

Was the best turkey I've had, moist, tender great flavor!! The Gravy was fantastic as well. I was told I was now the official family dinner main meal cooker. Dammit what did I do :tsk:

funugy
09-28-2012, 07:56 PM
I just did this a couple weeks ago following some of the suggestions on this site. I did a 14 plunder. Brined over night in 1 cup of each kosher salt, brown sugar, and orange juice with gallon of water. Rinsed the bird he next day and stuffed it with orange and apple slices. Rubbed the skin with butter and seasoned with seasoning salt and pepper. 250* until t was done. It looked great and was very moist. Some of the meat, very little actually, was a little stringy. After most of my cook was complete I found a few threads on here that suggested a higher temp so it doesn't get stringy and the skin will be a bit more crispy. Next time I will do it at a higher temp 325*-350*.

Cheers

OutlawSwine
09-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Here is my never fail recipe.

Brine overnight. Patio Daddio Turkey Brine (http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2009/11/ultimate-thanksgiving-turkey-brine.html)
Pat dry.
Rub.
Butter under skin.
Cook at 325 for around 2-3 hours (lightly tent with foil if gets too dark)
Rest
Pig out.

BruceKWHP
09-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Go for it. 225 until it hit 165 in the breast. Flat on the grate. No stuffing. Brine overnight. Everybody will rave

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Johnny_Crunch
09-28-2012, 11:27 PM
300+ spatch cocked directly on the grate. Brine for sure and you will have any amazing product.

dupemaster
09-28-2012, 11:44 PM
I agree with the higher temp. 325 or so. My family has been smoking turkeys for Thanksgiving as long as I can remember and its always awesome.

As for flavors... Rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, butter all rubbed under the skin and in the cavity with a lemon and onion.

Cook till the breast hits 160-165, rest, enjoy.

El Ropo
09-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Go for it. 225 until it hit 165 in the breast. Flat on the grate. No stuffing. Brine overnight. tEverybody will rave

If you are planning on tossing the skin, this will work. If you want to enjoy eating the skin, 350-400. Slow smoking poultry is a fail waiting to happen. We see people here all the time saying they smoked a bird for 4 hours at 225-250, they never mention the skin texture. The pics look like leather skin.

No reason to ever cook a whole bird past 3 hours (I've never gone past 2 hours on a 6 lb roaster). Turkey, crank up the heat to 375 and power through. It'll still be done in less than 4 hrs.

If you want juicy, tender turkey with exceptional skin, cook it up quick. Spatch or halves will work wonders.

El Ropo
09-29-2012, 01:47 AM
I forgot to mention that lump will burn a lot higher temps than KF blue. Try using a half/half mix of quality lump (I like oak lump) with decent quality briqs (anything but KF blue).

Using half lump and half briquettes with all intakes open on your UDS, you should be able to run at 400+ all day. If you can't reach those temps, there may be a design issue.

Hotrodhog
09-29-2012, 01:54 AM
300+ spatch cocked directly on the grate. Brine for sure and you will have any amazing product.

This. Best way I've had it so far.

chambersuac
09-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Brine at least overnight. Dry
Rub with butter under skin. Season with favorite rum. I use Simply Marvelous cherry
An hour before putting on smoker, fill a gallon sized ziplock bag amd place on bresst. Cooling the breast helps white and dark meat to comr to temp about same time

jalon
09-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Folks, this is awesome stuff! Much appreciated.

Now everyone go out and enjoy your gameday!

willbird
09-29-2012, 09:22 AM
I still wonder about "spatch turkey" :-)