PDA

View Full Version : Cutting wood with a chain saw

Smoker
11-28-2005, 03:00 PM
I want to cut the logs into 7 inch pieces using my chainsaw.
Does anyone worry about the bar oil getting on the wood?

BBQchef33
11-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Nope.. never.

Blood(my own) maybe, but never oil.

qman
11-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm with Phil on this. Never worried about the oil.

Saiko
11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
I've been using a chainsaw for years on wood, and have never noticed any oil on the the cut ends. Like Phil said, I worry more about blood since my foot is about 1 inch from the saw blade when I am cutting them. Sure does make the wifey nervous.

kickassbbq
11-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Nope. I agree that it doesn't make any difference at all. I have been cutting with the chainsaw for years at it hasn't bothered me.
Take a look at me and you decide.
PARTY
http://www.kickassbbq.com/largepic.php?img=New%20Image.jpg&category=Ingredients

Mark
11-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Shiite! I cut meat with a chainsaw. Just don't substitute used crankcase oil for bar oil.

Aeynghus
11-28-2005, 03:53 PM
The chainsaw is one of man's best inventions.

Sawdustguy
11-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Steel toe boots and a pair of chainsaw chaps may not be a bad idea.

thillin
11-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Steel toe boots and a pair of chainsaw chaps may not be a bad idea.

Ask Ted Nuggent!:eek:

Hoorenga
11-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Nope. I agree that it doesn't make any difference at all. I have been cutting with the chainsaw for years at it hasn't bothered me.
Take a look at me and you decide.
PARTY
http://www.kickassbbq.com/largepic.php?img=New%20Image.jpg&category=Ingredients

You may want to reconsider what ever it is that you are using. Something doesn't seem to be working. Mabye it's your hair spray and less lipstick.

Wayne
11-28-2005, 10:15 PM
Bar oil has never bothered me at all. However, I have OD'd on Bar Spirits before.

nmayeux
11-28-2005, 10:55 PM
The chainsaw is one of man's best inventions.
Here here!! Noise, danger, smoke, destruction! What more could you want besides a bigger saw?

JamesB
11-28-2005, 11:12 PM
You could always use veggie oil instead of regular bar/chain oil...

James.

Neil
11-29-2005, 03:10 AM
All the wood I smoke with I cut using a chain saw and never have noticed any oil on the logs. However, I wouldn't use the woodchips because they do contain a lot of bar oil.

Trout_man22
11-29-2005, 05:52 AM
I use the several chain saws they all use vegetable oil based bar oil. Here in VA it costs about $.50 more per gallon but never a problem with the bar, the chain, the oiler or the chain driver. In fact Husvarna only recommends vegetable based bar oil.

backyardchef
11-29-2005, 07:12 AM
What more could you want besides a bigger saw?
:biggrin:

Hoorenga
11-29-2005, 09:15 AM
Interesting, I never heard of vegetable based bar oil. is that a Vegan saw? Heard about them, cut nothing but fruits and vegetables. I guess after the movie Texas Chain Saw Massacres a lot of saws went vegan. I'm thinking you could use left over deep frying oil from your local fast food joint. Sort of a bio saw. But I think Niel is right about most of the oil being in the wood chips. If you think about, it makes sense.

thillin
11-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Interesting, I never heard of vegetable based bar oil. is that a Vegan saw? Heard about them, cut nothing but fruits and vegetables. I guess after the movie Texas Chain Saw Massacres a lot of saws went vegan. I'm thinking you could use left over deep frying oil from your local fast food joint. Sort of a bio saw. But I think Niel is right about most of the oil being in the wood chips. If you think about, it makes sense.

I hope mine stays a vegan!:confused:

Trout_man22
11-29-2005, 11:49 AM
This is just one of the 40,000 links about bar lube.

SoyLINK™ is used for lubrication in chainsaw bar, blade, and saw-guide applications. Chainsaw bar oils are classified as a "total loss lubricant" – in the process of use, they are flung from the machine and lost directly to the surrounding environment. When petroleum oils are used, they pose an environmental and human health danger. Vegetable oils, on the other hand, do not.

http://www.carbohydrateeconomy.org/library/admin/uploadedfiles/Carbohydrate_Economy_Bulletin_Volume_1_Numb_5.htm

Kevin
11-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Gotta say I like the idea of vegetable oil for chain lube. I'm gonna talk to my supplier about getting me some.

Mark
11-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Bacon drippings sounds better.

Seriously, industrial grade vegetable oil is used in alot of metal cutting operations.

Hoorenga
11-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Yeh, bacon drippings, except it is solid at room temperature and you would risk dogs stealing your chain saw. You need someting that has some weight to it like a heavy gear oil so it doesn't get flung off easily. That's the whole idea behind bar oil and chain oils. They need to adhear to the chain even while it is under centrificial force. Old french fry oil can be pretty thick. I'm going to try it with the next batch of old deep fry oil I come up with.

Kevin
11-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Put some fresh cracked pepper in there. It will act like the graphite in chain lube and help it stick.

Trout_man22
11-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Don't try it unless it's an old saw and an bar/chain. Is it worth the $5.00 you'll save to ruin a $500 saw and a $80 bar/chain? To try old fryer oil? Just my .02

Mark
11-29-2005, 02:35 PM
You may want to reconsider what ever it is that you are using. Something doesn't seem to be working. Mabye it's your hair spray and less lipstick.

Naw: BOTOX

Hoorenga
11-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Wish I had a $500 saw. My last one I got for $10 at a garage sale, practicaly new. Little thing though. Great for limbs. Yeah, I don't know about that french fry oil thing either. You might get a bunch of people hanging around wanting you to super size everything.

The_Kapn
11-29-2005, 04:37 PM
HOO-

I love your avatar.
"Understated elegance", fer sure :-D

BOT--I use oil, real oil, on my chain saw bar.
Works for me.

TIM

BBQchef33
11-29-2005, 04:53 PM
HOO-

I love your avatar.
"Understated elegance", fer sure :-D

BOT--I use oil, real oil, on my chain saw bar.
Works for me.

TIM

90 weight gear oil(diff oil) in my chainsaw.

???? I dont see an avatar for hoo????? Is it me(do i have something to fix?)...or is that the point? :oops: :confused:

Hoorenga
11-29-2005, 05:01 PM
I was wondering about that myself. I tried uploading my old one but things are just a little different over in this new area.

thillin
11-29-2005, 05:05 PM
I can't see it either

Hoorenga
11-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Don't know what I did but there is my avitar again.

Brauma
11-29-2005, 10:49 PM
I use the several chain saws they all use vegetable oil based bar oil. Here in VA it costs about $.50 more per gallon but never a problem with the bar, the chain, the oiler or the chain driver. In fact Husvarna only recommends vegetable based bar oil.

Where do you buy this stuff Trout? Never heard of it. I bought a gallon of Poulan brand bar oil at Wally World back in the spring for $2.48. Still gots plenty left. Good thick chit.

The only thing I dont like about the chain saw is the 1/4" - 3/8" kerf that it chews out. Good wood gone to sawdust on your shoe and in your shoe. I spent the better part of Saturday cuttin up an old oak that just flat arse died this summer for no reason. Big hollow in it. I cut up the limbs in about 8 -10" peices for my smoker. The big stuff is for my wood stove. I was really wishin I had a light sabor after just a short while. Wouldve gone faster, easier and no waste.

Neil
11-30-2005, 03:16 AM
If it becomes saw dust, your chain needs sharpening! With a sharp chain you'll get plenty of chips but no dust. Remember, a sharp chain is a safe chain. Makes it easier for the doctor to reattach the limbs you cut off by mistake!!

Trout_man22
11-30-2005, 06:32 AM
If it becomes saw dust, your chain needs sharpening! With a sharp chain you'll get plenty of chips but no dust. Remember, a sharp chain is a safe chain. Makes it easier for the doctor to reattach the limbs you cut off by mistake!!

That is why I have the chaps made out of Kevlar. But you are correct you must have a sharp chain. Otherwise you will hurt yourself someday :sad:

I get the vegetable oil at Northern Supply, Tractor Supply, Lowes, HD, and about 30 other places. It normally the bottle that is a little more expensive.

ggeilman
11-30-2005, 08:09 AM
Which reminds me, can someone recommend a good relatively inexpensive chain saw for a neophyte?

Kevin
11-30-2005, 08:28 AM
Just saw a local add for a small husky (husqvarna) for $200. Good saws.
16" bar, 2.2 cubic inch engine.
Kind of small for a lumberjack, but plenty of saw for yard work and blocking up smoking wood.

Trout_man22
11-30-2005, 08:28 AM
Do you mean neophyte (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=neophyte)?

[Middle English, from Late Latin neophytus, from Greek neophutos : neo-, neo- + -phutos, planted (from phuein, to bring forth. See bheuhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/schwa.gif- in Indo-European Roots).]

I have several but the ones that never give me trouble are the Husqvarna's and the Stihl's a little more money but worth the price. If just for evey now and then get a small one 16" and call it a-day

Husqvarna chainsaw 137-P16 $185

http://www.southwestfastener.com/productsHusqChainsaw.htm

Hoorenga
11-30-2005, 08:39 AM
I have owned Stihl, Huskivarna, McCullough, Sears, Johnsereds, Poulan and a couple of others and had problems with them all. I think it is the nature of the beast, the poor little things take such a beating. Imagine that poor little motor getting reved up to top rpms and then shoved into a pile of wood time after time. I'm supprised they last as long as they do. My last saw was a Huskivarna which I thought was going to be my last saw. I paid $300 for it. I don't use it much but I've already replaced the oiler. My favorite saw was a Stihl. It was a professional limbing saw. Little tiny thing. Looked like one of their littlest "home owner" saws but it was a kick ass, sooped up professional model. You could plunge the whole bar into a log nose first and it would keep reving. It was great. The thing didn't weigh anything. It did the work of a saw three times its size. I think If I were going to run out right now and buy a saw just for occasional use I would go to Costco and get a new Poulan for $135. Not a bad saw for the money. If you are going to spend some money on one, see what other people in your area are buying and get one from a local dealer. It's nice to have a shop you can take it to when it does break down.

Hoorenga
11-30-2005, 08:41 AM
"Do you mean neophyte?"

Hey, the spell checker is working!

Mark
11-30-2005, 08:57 AM
I think not having a sharp blade leads to premature failure of the engine too. If it doesn't go through a green log like a knife through butter (well, almost), sharpen it. Plus, you will work much harder with a dull blade, leading to excessive beer consumption, possibly leading to the nickname "stumpy."

Hoorenga
11-30-2005, 09:05 AM
A sharp chain should produce nice chips that look more like shavings. A dull chain produces smaller chunkier chips and a lot of finer sawdust. Then there is the little tooth on the chain that sits just behind the cutting tooth which a lot of people forget to file down (not a problem if you have your chain professionaly sharpned). As the cutting tooth gets sharpened again and again it eventually becomes lower than the tooth just behind it. When this happnes, you can have the sharpest chain in the kingdom and you arn't going to cut much of anything because the cutting teeth are held back from contact with the wood.

ggeilman
11-30-2005, 09:23 AM
"Do you mean neophyte?"

Hey, the spell checker is working!

Obviously mine isn't!

Mark
11-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Or when your chain saw blade gets dull, just turn it off and use it like an axe.

parrothead
11-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Do not use your used fryer oil for bar oil. Unless you filter the living piss out of it. That oil needs to be clean as a whistle. It travels through channels and holes that are the diameter of a paerclip and can get clogged easily.

As far as a new chainsaw that someone asked about. If you are just cutting wood at home, don't be afraid of a cheap electric chainsaw. My first saw was an electric Mccoullugh tht I bought new for $49. It still runs like mad and is less tempramental than a gas burner. Limited to the length of your extension cord, but will cut and cut and cut. Watch that bar oil though. Gas burners are designed to run out of gas before they run out of bar oil. Electric ones just need to be watched.

If you are a serious cutter, I would get nothing short of a Stihl commercial grade. Their home owner grade will end with an odd number, and the commercial grade will end with an even number.

One other point as long as I am at it. I was told by someone once that every time you change the blade, (or sharpen if you only have one blade), to flip the bar upside down. Most people will push on their saw in one direction or the other, and this will provide even wear and stop the eventual "traveling" while cutting. Ever use a saw that no matter how straight you hold it, it cuts at an angle? Flipping the bar will also allow the wheel at the far end to spin in the opposite direction and lengthen the life of the bar.

OK, that's enough for now.

brdbbq
11-30-2005, 10:24 AM
TIMBER

Trout_man22
11-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Very good point Greg. I use saw's every weekend, I have very large ones (32" 9 hp) too heavy for daily use and small one (16" 2 hp) I can use like the robot on lost in space (danger Will Robinson). Keep them sharp, and replace the chain when needed.

Hoorenga
11-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Parrot Head is right on with several issues. With the better saws there are two grades,
"home owner" and "professional". The professional saws are designed for abuse and higher RPMs. Stihl lovers swear by theirs and Husky owners swear by theirs.

And the point about electric saws I found to be true as well. Us manly types like gas motors and things that make lots of noise and smell bad. I always avoided electric saws because they looked like girly-mon toys. Adimtidly they arn't for cutting piles of chord wood but for hacking up limbs and smaller chunks they work great. The electric motors are less prone to breaking down and you don't have to wear ear plugs (what?). As long as there is an outlet nearby they are great.

Mark
11-30-2005, 01:06 PM
Real men use det cord.

Trout_man22
11-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Or farts

ggeilman
11-30-2005, 02:55 PM
So you don't recommend getting a $90 electric then?

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1261420594.1133384354@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccdcaddggghgimmcgelceffdfgidgln.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+5234&pos=n20

Remington
3.5 Peak Hp 16 In. Electric Chainsaw With Bag

Model 111174 01

brdbbq
11-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Seems like a snow blower would chip ?

Hoorenga
11-30-2005, 05:28 PM
For that price I would be inclined to go with a Poulan gas like the one they had at Costco for $135. I just like the versatility of a gas saw. The cord isn't going to get in the way. And it's sooooooo manly. I guess If all I were going to do was cut a small amount for smoking and I could do it by the garage or house I would go electric. My neighbor used to cut quite a bit of wood in the form of limbs and smaller chunks with his. That was what made me change my mind about electric saws. I've never owned one myself. Check this one out...http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=99396-283-PP3816&lpage=none

Hoorenga
11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
I bet you could get a used electric on eBay for next to nothing.

Brauma
11-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Which reminds me, can someone recommend a good relatively inexpensive chain saw for a neophyte?

You get what you pay for. Get a Stihl.

Ofcourse I was kidding earlier when I said sawdust. I have been chucking wood long enought to know the benefits of a good sharp chain. When you have to "work" the saw to get it to cut its time to sharpen or time for a new chain. A good sharp chain will pull itself thru the wood.

brdbbq
11-30-2005, 06:31 PM
As a last resort get a pet Beaver. :biggrin:

Kevin
11-30-2005, 06:42 PM
As a last resort get a pet Beaver. :biggrin:

Got one. She bitches.

brdbbq
11-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Got one. She bitches.

Give Her wood on Regular Basis.

qman
11-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Got one. She bitches.

Amen! and does not chuk much wood, either:shock:

qman
11-30-2005, 06:52 PM
I have been using an electric chainsaw around the house for several years now. I was resistant at first, but i like it so much for the light duty stuff I use it for, that I have given both my gas chainsaws to my son. Now he gets to do all the maintnance etc, and i can still borrow one when i really need a bigger saw.

My 24 inch electric takes care of all the pruning, and breaking down of wood for the smoker. That is all I need. Manly? any body questions that, I just tell them to measure the entire thing, from the plug to the chain:grin:

EDIT: That should read 14 inch electric, not 24.

Kevin
11-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Fun discussion. Got a lot of saws here. My favorite is an old Mcullogh that is so old it has no brake. Filed the rakers (the teeth hoo was talkin bout) and that bad boy will lunch a 24 inch log in about 30 seconds,but you'd best hang on. That sumbitch will kick back and take your head off. It's kind of like a Corvair "unsafe at any speed".

I like big motors and aggresive blades. My caveat: I'll never loan a saw to anyone. They are just too dangerous. Ask me for help and I'll cut up whatever you have, but I'm runnin the saw.

qman
11-30-2005, 07:30 PM
I agree Kevin. When I was younger and in better health, I really liked horsing the big boys around. my first experiance with a chain saw was in 1960, helping my brother clean up after hurricane Donna. We used a couple of 36 inch bad boys without brakes. Those guys were NOT Vegans. It was learn or be eaten:roll:

parrothead
12-01-2005, 05:27 AM
The electric motors are less prone to breaking down and you don't have to wear ear plugs (what?). As long as there is an outlet nearby they are great.
Yes, I almost forgot. I wear earplugs anytime that I run my chainsaw, and a lot of other things also. Hearing loss builds and you never realise the damage that you did that day until it is too late.

Trout_man22
12-01-2005, 05:47 AM
What did he say????

rbinms33
12-01-2005, 11:00 AM
I have a Stihl MS095 w/20" bar that my wife got me for Father's Day a few years ago after I almost beat the Craftsman (Poulan) I had against a tree. I had grown up with Stihl's cutting wood with my Dad and Granddad and they had never had any problems with them so that's what I wanted. Yes, they are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Several things I read in here that I also do:

I still have the original chain that is almost at the end of it's rope and it's used for crossties and stumps. Ways to dull a chain quick....touch the dirt while it's cutting.....ways to ruin a chain.....hit a rock/wire/nail....might as well put the saw up. People that cut any of these don't use my saw.
I have two new chains that I switch out when a good file sharpening is no longer an option and it needs to get a machine sharpening.
I also flip the bar over everytime I switch chains to even out the wear on the bottom of the bar
I've been trying to make a habit out of touching up the chain with a file before I use it each time and then blow out the air filter every coupla times I use it.
As far as loaning it out, I treat it the same as my 4-wheeler. If I have physically seen you use either and you don't scare the chit out of me doing it, you can borrow it. Otherwise, telling me you've run one before doesn't mean a hill of beans to me. Toys like that are way too dangerous for rookies. Not only that but I really don't want people tearing my toys up either cause they "think" they know how to use them.

spoon
12-01-2005, 01:50 PM
For the last couple years, I used an old cheap electric McCulloch. Not much to look at, but did the job.

I just bought a 16" electric Craftsman on sale for $59 (regular $79)-- light duty around the yard, and to cut up pieces for the pit. Price was my main factor because I rarely need to use it so I wanted something cheap. But, I also like how the electrics are so much lighter -- easier to climp up on a ladder to cut down a limb.

Here is the link:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07134107000&subcat=Chain+Saws

brdbbq
12-01-2005, 01:52 PM
How much of the Tax went to your new Stadium ? :twisted:

spoon
12-01-2005, 01:57 PM
How much of the Tax went to your new Stadium ? :twisted:

Funny thing - I actually bought it in Irving, so Jerry didn't get any! Arlington's sales tax rate was low to start, so now (with Jerry tax) its about the same as other cities. Plus, I don't know when the tax kicks in -- it may not be until Jan 1. I already went through it once when we built the Ballpark.

ggeilman
12-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will definitely go for a quality gas 16-18". Problem is I AM a rookie! Never have used a chain saw before:eek:

Trout_man22
12-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I will definitely go for a quality gas 16-18". Problem is I AM a rookie! Never have used a chain saw before:eek:

Go here:

Chainsaw safety (http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/files/cs/banners/chainsaw_cons.pdf)

This is a PDF for chainsaw safety.

Hoorenga
12-01-2005, 08:32 PM
I have learned to keep the arm I hold the saw with stiff. That way if it kicks back it wont take my nose off. Also don't EVER let some one hold the wood for you unless they are way out of reach. I got over confident once and let my brother get right up close. Dam near took his face off. It is a tool worthy of all of your respect and attention. And get a set of ear muff silencers or you'll go deaf like me.