PDA

View Full Version : BP brisky (long hold)

MFHULK
09-24-2012, 10:16 PM
So after reading all the posts about butcher paper brisky, I had to try it out for myself. Sorry, no pr0n, I was too excited!

I had a ten lb packer and rubbed it with salt and pepper keeping it real simple. Smoked it at 250 in my UDS and wrapped that sucker after about 9 hours. Probed after a few more hours and it was ready to come off the cooker with an IT of 202. I saw several posts and replies about this method after Aaron Franklin was on No Reservations and I am simply sharing my experience. I saw a lot of comments about how his bp was so moist and most people were sharing that theirs was pretty dry. Mine was completely soaked when I pulled it off the smoker. I immediately put it into a 200 degree oven and left it there for an hour and a half. My parents were in from out of town and the needed to hit the road so I took it out of the oven and sliced up some for them. It was farkin amazing!!!! I wrapped it back up and put it back in the over for a couple more hours till the ol lady came home so we could eat...it was not the same.

Many people said in posts that it was because of the long hold that Franklin's brisket was like jello. Well, mine wasn't like jello but it did fall apart pretty easily. It was still pretty moist for the most part, except where I had made the initial slices, but I was making 1" slices and it was completely falling apart. I'm not a fan.

So it does seem like the longer the hold the more tender it is, if tender is what you call it? Anyone else have a similar experience? It seems like it almost continued to cook in the oven.

Hawg Father of Seoul
09-25-2012, 07:01 AM
When you initially put it in the oven, the temp rose between 3-10 degrees. You can use an infrared thermo to temp the outside of the brisket when you pull it off and better understand that the heat will rise in the center (where you measured it with the thermo) and decrease on the surface until there is equilibrium.

If you would have vented the brisket until it hit 180 or less before putting it in the oven, then it would have not "died" when you put it back in the oven. IMHO your meat did not properly rest before slicing and that is why you had the difference in quality.

#2 I bet your oven spiked to at least 250 degrees. Hang a thermo in there.

daninnewjersey
09-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Sounds like you had it dialed in perfectly when it came out of the smoker. I agree a little time vented prior to the oven would have helped. You also sliced some off prior to wifey getting home. I'm not as experienced as a lot of the people on here but Once you start gnawing on the brisket...and then put it back on hold....it's really hard to keep it as perfect as when you first sliced it.

So the moral of the story is....you gotta do another one...great excuse huh? :biggrin1::biggrin1:

JS-TX
09-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Before people get their drawers in a wad.. Franklin (like many joints down here in TX) slice their briskets fairly thick. Probably cause 1. It's less time consuming and 2. the brisket is very tender.

Oven thermometers are horribly inconsistent. I also agree that venting the brisket for at least 10 minutes would have helped. I also would have just put the oven on it lowest setting and turning it off/on in 30 minute increments after an hour hold time. IMO the oven is just to keep the brisket from getting too cool if you have to hold more than a couple hours. This past weekend I held a brisket in an empty ice chest with a single towel covering the brisket. I put the ice chest in the warm sun. About 3 hours later it was still plenty hot. BTW I recommend putting another towel or some foil at the bottom of the ice chest.. much easier to clean up.

CarolinaQue
09-25-2012, 09:56 AM
So after reading all the posts about butcher paper brisky, I had to try it out for myself. Sorry, no pr0n, I was too excited!

I had a ten lb packer and rubbed it with salt and pepper keeping it real simple. Smoked it at 250 in my UDS and wrapped that sucker after about 9 hours. Probed after a few more hours and it was ready to come off the cooker with an IT of 202. I saw several posts and replies about this method after Aaron Franklin was on No Reservations and I am simply sharing my experience. I saw a lot of comments about how his bp was so moist and most people were sharing that theirs was pretty dry. Mine was completely soaked when I pulled it off the smoker. I immediately put it into a 200 degree oven and left it there for an hour and a half. My parents were in from out of town and the needed to hit the road so I took it out of the oven and sliced up some for them. It was farkin amazing!!!! I wrapped it back up and put it back in the over for a couple more hours till the ol lady came home so we could eat...it was not the same.

Many people said in posts that it was because of the long hold that Franklin's brisket was like jello. Well, mine wasn't like jello but it did fall apart pretty easily. It was still pretty moist for the most part, except where I had made the initial slices, but I was making 1" slices and it was completely falling apart. I'm not a fan.

So it does seem like the longer the hold the more tender it is, if tender is what you call it? Anyone else have a similar experience? It seems like it almost continued to cook in the oven.

Specifically addressing what's in red, I think that there are a couple of points that should be mentioned here.

You said it was great after an hour and a half rest, but not that great after it was put back in the oven. Here are some things that I think need to be looked at and thought about.

1) Oven temps swing 50* or so. So, for a period of time, the brisket likely continued to cook over that time.

2) You said it was great after a shorter rest period than it was after you sliced some off, but it came down in quality after you put it back into a hold for a few more hours. Remember, you completely unwrapped it, sliced some off and then rewrapped it, . Thus changing the thermal dynamics of the mass and it's quality after the extended holding time.

3) Aaron Franklin keeps his meat in a Crestcore (sp) type of holding oven that doesn't fluctuate in temp. It's set and it stays at that temp.

4) He doesn't take meat out, slice off what's needed and rewraps it and put's it back in. He has a line well out the door and doesn't stop serving until he runs out of food.

smokesalad
09-25-2012, 10:09 AM
I wrapped mine(parchment) at 165, let it go to 211, should have pulled it at 205 but made an error in judgement trying to feel it, then into a 200 oven until my kids got home, about tree hrs. I had the probe ,while on the grill, about midway up the point, so I got a better temp on the point and over cooked the flat. When I pulled the probe out I had to put a wooden pick in its place there was so much juice coming out. When I served it, the point was very moist, the flat a little dry, the bark a little mushy, it did jiggle, and was pretty good. I think I can do a bit better though. Oh I used only salt, pepper and garlic, and added no liquid when I wrapped. And used pecan for the smoke. It was pretty good.

QTEX
09-25-2012, 10:21 AM
A 10lb packer at 250 for 9 hours and then a few more hours and then a 200 oven for hours sure seems like a long LONG time to cook a 10lb packer.
Mine are done in about 6 hours, rest on the table or in the oven "turned off". Slice a couple of hours later, longer better still and pure awesome juicy brisket.

MFHULK
09-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Specifically addressing what's in red, I think that there are a couple of points that should be mentioned here.

You said it was great after an hour and a half rest, but not that great after it was put back in the oven. Here are some things that I think need to be looked at and thought about.

1) Oven temps swing 50* or so. So, for a period of time, the brisket likely continued to cook over that time.

2) You said it was great after a shorter rest period than it was after you sliced some off, but it came down in quality after you put it back into a hold for a few more hours. Remember, you completely unwrapped it, sliced some off and then rewrapped it, . Thus changing the thermal dynamics of the mass and it's quality after the extended holding time.

3) Aaron Franklin keeps his meat in a Crestcore (sp) type of holding oven that doesn't fluctuate in temp. It's set and it stays at that temp.

4) He doesn't take meat out, slice off what's needed and rewraps it and put's it back in. He has a line well out the door and doesn't stop serving until he runs out of food.

That makes perfect sense if my oven is fluctuating that much! I had no idea!

I've always rested in a cooler but I wanted to try this out to see what all the fuss was about. I have taken slices off of a brisket prematurely and put it back to rest and it still would come out great. It may also be noted that my cut was select and I believe Aaron uses prime. :lol:

centexsmoker
09-25-2012, 07:47 PM

If your oven was 200, it did continue to cook in the oven. That's why it was falling apart. You should FTC next time if they are ready to take off the pit (or PTC with paper if you don't mind your towels getting soaked with brisket grease). I know Franklin holds his in a warmer, but John Mueller (the guy who taught Aaron Franklin)holds them wrapped in paper just outside the pit. Mine are more tender after a long hold for sure so there may be something to that.

charray
09-25-2012, 08:56 PM
In the beginning I used to confuse crumbly and/or mushy with tender. No more. Also I can tell you that IMO you can't hold for longer than an hour or two, especially at temp without the meat continuing to cook. If I'm holding I pull early and depending on feel that could be as low as 185º.