PDA

View Full Version : Wood BBQ Island/Cart questions.

basuraman
09-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I am planning on building a BBQ Island/Cart thing for both my Gas Grill and my WSM.

My plan is make it out of wood. I plan on making it in two sections. One for around the gas grill and one for the WSM. This way when I get something else, like a 22 1/2 OTS, I can just build and add another section.

My questions are about the wood. My plan was to use Redwood 2x4 & 4x4 for most of it. (The fence that it will be next to is redwood.)

1. What distance/clearance should I give around the gas grill?
2. Could I use something as a heat shield? If so what?
3. Is there a better wood choice?
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
09-24-2012, 03:53 PM
steel

Zak
09-25-2012, 08:58 AM
The carts i've made for gas grills have a space of about 2" from the wood to the grill. Out of the 2"'s, 1" is the 1x1 steel tubing Weber uses as the frame so the wood is only about 1" away from the heat and it's overkill. You could probably leave only a very small gap and still be ok. I've had my grills over 500°+ and have never seen any discoloration of the wood. I'd say 1" would be good for the smoker also but you may want to expand that near the bottom bowl where it's the hottest. I'd deffinately do something a little different for a kettle, say maybe 1.5" to 2" gap without a heat shield. FYI, the wood is cedar. I'll double check the clearances tonite and let you know just be be sure.

NickTheGreat
09-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Do you have IR thermometer gun? I use mine to check around my WSM and it doesn't get real hot outside of it. My Weber Gas grill though, it gets a little warm close to it.

basuraman
09-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Zak - Thank you. That is what I was looking for.
Nick - I will have "borrow" my dads.