PDA

View Full Version : New wood !

stanimals2
09-23-2012, 05:49 PM
I admit I was never sure when I heard people talking about smoking with Cherry if they meant the fruit tree or if wild cherry was the same thing. Well I read a post on here a week or so ago from quite a few of you who said wild cherry was their go to wood. Well my brothers that was music to my ears, you see the early summer storms that came through here took down 4 large wild cherries on my property that I already had cut and stacked. So today I split 2 pretty good size logs into really thin pieces and then cut that into 3 or 4 inch lengths just to give it a try. I didnt want to go all out the first time so I fired the old girl up threw in some cherry and put on 2 rolls of kielbasi and let the smoke roll. I now know why it is your go to wood what a great flavor !! Cant wait to try it on a butt, ribs and beer can birds :thumb: I now know how my next few weekends will be spent ! Got alot of splittin and cuttin to do :clap2:

Thank you Farkers for some great advice !!

Stan

charrederhead
09-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Nice, you lucky dog!

I love the cherry.

IamMadMan
09-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Be careful, if the wood hasn't been seasoned you could wind up with creosote formations in the cooker which can drip onto the meat and make it bitter.

woodbutcher1
09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Stan,next log you cut with the chain saw,cut 2 1/2" to 4 " disk's (like hokey pucks) then use your hatches and whack em into fist sized chunks.

stanimals2
09-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks Guys , yea its been cut about 2 months so its still a little green on the bigger stuff but the smaller stuff I used came from the tops of the tree and the were broke off about 4 months ago, thats why I took the trees down, strait line winds got them. I plan to cut up a bunch in small pieces and let it dry in the barn. I just wanted to try it to see how I liked it before I did.

Thanks again, Stan

columbia1
09-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Awesome, besides great flavor and color, cherry also builds a nice bed of coals in stick-burners.

Wampus
09-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeppers.....wild cherry is one of the plentiful varieties of trees I have on my property as well. SCORE!! :thumb:

HickoryJ
09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
just picked a pick-up truck bed full of cherry for $75. stacked and delivered. its about 6 months seasoned now. hard to stay out of it