PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Recipe

Sampler
09-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Hello all...

If things go right tomorrow I will finish my first UDS and get a quick seasoning session in to test temps and air flow.

I would like to plan a smoke session on Sunday but have no idea what to attempt first. I'm a big fan of ribs and brisket so that would be a good start although that still leaves the door for many options.

Let's hear what you have.

Thank you

tinman
09-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Fatty all the way!!!:thumb:

Ron_L
09-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Absolutely a naked fatty or three.

After that it depends on how much time you have :) Chicken is inexpensive and doesn't take too long. Pork butt is also inexpensive but can take quite a while.

4uweque
09-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Do ribs if that's what you like, enjoy your new cooker! Brisket is a pretty long cook, might want to learn your cooker a little first.

MisterChrister
09-21-2012, 06:26 PM
I think a fatty is mandatory as an appetizer while you're waiting for a pork butt to finish.

landarc
09-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Learn your cooker, a new UDS has a learning curve at times. Go with the fatty for the first hour, if you have it dialed, then throw some ribs on.

El Ropo
09-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Naked fattys and pork picnic roasts (lower part of front leg) are easy. Nothing better than tasting pulled pork for the first time with an economical cut.

Sampler
09-21-2012, 11:22 PM
A fatty sounds like a good idea. I'm thikning I might have to stuff it with onion, pepper, garlic and cheese. Still undecided on wrapping although who doesn't love bacon?

What's the suggested cook temp and time frame?

D

tinman
09-21-2012, 11:48 PM
I am a newbie at them, but the one I just did was 250-260 for about two hours and it probed at 170 internal, so I pulled it. I think next time I will take the heat up towards 275 to get the bacon a bit darker. If its too low, the bacon will be rubbery and that's definitely a bummer. As long as you get the internal up above 165 you are good....it will also continue to cook a little bit after you take it off. Someone with more experience should be along shortly.

mytmouz
09-22-2012, 12:34 AM
I say dive right in and do a brisket. ANd a fatty...

criffaaa1
09-22-2012, 01:20 AM
I think a fatty is mandatory as an appetizer while you're waiting for a pork butt to finish.

+2,3,4,5

sent from my Crifftastic $3

Nick's BBQ
09-22-2012, 05:22 AM
Definately a fatty. I made a few of them last week, and made it part of an omlette. It was great. Go for some ribs, too. The only way to figure it out is to try it. My only suggestion, and it's coming from experience, is don't put a whole lot of stuff on there the first time. Stick with one thing, and try it two or three times to see how it varies. I had a lot of luck with Chris Lilly's book, too. There are some good ideas and suggestions in it, and it's a good starting point to getting your own thing going.

Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book: Recipes and Secrets from a Legendary Barbecue Joint: Chris Lilly: 9780307408112: Amazon.com: Books

Skidder
09-22-2012, 06:54 AM
A fattie or ten and a pork shoulder or butt both are very forgiving and will let you get to know each other.

willbird
09-22-2012, 07:49 AM
I'd go for fatties of course, and a couple spatched or halved chickens, and go ahead and run a full load of charcoal and play with it a bit, you can fire it in the morning and cook on it til you go to bed, and chances are cook again on it the NEXT morning on just one load if you have a decent sized fire basket :-). Fire up the weber kettle and do a reverse sear on some steaks while your at it, in the UDS to rare and then sear to your desired finish on the weber :-).

Bill

J-Rod
09-22-2012, 08:49 AM
I'd stay simple your first time out with something that won't take 12 hours to cook so you can get a feel for your new cooker. As others said a fatty would do fine, and there's always a whole cut up chicken as an option as well. You can even wrap some of the pieces such as the less-flavorful breasts in bacon. Nothin like tasty smoked bird! I think I did ribs in mine when I broke my UDS's cherry. They came out pretty good for a newbie if I remember correctly, but that was many beers ago.

Sampler
09-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Looking for a good first set of ribs to potentially go with the fatty. Has anyone cooked with the ribs from Sam Club? I know it may not be ideal or top notch but without researching my option locally I know that they have had a far section to choose from at fair prices. Just curious of the forums feedback before wasting my $$$$.

Thanks

tinman
09-22-2012, 09:48 AM
I have cooked many nice racks of loinbacks from Sam's club and Costco over the years. I usually dig around in the pile to find a pack that all seem the same size, because they sometimes throw a less meaty oddball sized one in there that ends up cooking at a different rate.

Nick's BBQ
09-22-2012, 10:30 AM
The Sams where I live carries mostly Smithfield ribs, butts, shoulders, etc... I have never had any issue with quality, freshness, or anything like that with them. As mentioned before, be selective on size, and everything should turn out great.

Sampler
09-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Great info... I appreciate it! Looks like I might be in for some ribs tomorrow too!

tinman
09-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Here are some loinbacks I just got from Sams club....it came in a three pack with the membrane already removed. They were outstanding.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/bhinnenkamp/temporary_zpsbdd8b9b6.jpg

I will be looking forward to seeing your PRON!