PDA

View Full Version : 18.5 lb Turkey too Big for a WSM??

jerrycentral
11-23-2005, 07:01 AM
We bought a big turkey before I started to read up on the techniques. Now I am finding from some forum reading, that maybe this bird is too big for my WSM. It is too late to get a smaller one as it is thawed and going in the Brine this morning. Any ideas about cooking a 18 pounder in a Weber?

Jerry Schmidt

Samichlaus
11-23-2005, 07:15 AM
Can you stand it up?

Jeff_in_KC
11-23-2005, 07:55 AM
I think the biggest issue with a bird of this size is that it takes a long time to get it out of the danger zone (40* to 140*). The smaller the bird, the faster it gets above 140*. It might be wise to be sure to keep your WSM at 325 to 350 in the lid for the duration of your cook. Or at least until you can get the internal temp up. Just my opinion from reading a lot but cooking only one bird so far.

BBQchef33
11-23-2005, 08:12 AM
you have 2 dead on answers here. Size and temps.

You'll see 2 issues with size.. It wont fit well on top and on the bottom it will stick beyond the waterpan and the edges will cook faster. So, best bet is to fix both issues, stand it on end and raise the grate a little bit. I used a few(3) sections of steel pipe I had laying around. Put them on the bottom grate and rested a grate on top(used the bottom grate from another WSM). This raised the grate high enuf so the bird fit under the lid, and was further from the heat. To stand the bird up I used a 48 oz can of chicken broth and did the "beer can" bird methood. Was concerned about the salt content in the broth making the bird salty, so I poured more than half the broth out and added applejuice and some herbs. if ya dont have steel pipe, think of something you may be able to place in the middle(a pot?) without blockin airflow, or a few pyrex cups.. anything that can take the heat.. even some cut sections of a log wrapped in foil, same size and placed above the waterpan, where they are less likly to ignite.

Not sure if the top grate can be used to go lower ecase it fits around the lip. You may need a trip to HD to get a smaller one. Also, to stand the bird up, another alternative, if u have a turkey fryer kit, you can use the hanger as a base.

When cooking, i go in the 300 range at first, then as the breast approachs 130, i dont mind if the temps drop a little in the pit. timing is the facotr at that point.. how long do i have. If everyone is waiting and dinner is close. I keep it at 300-325. If not, let it get happy in the smoke. :rolleyes:

jerrycentral
11-23-2005, 08:21 AM
I can get the weber to go right to 350 degrees so I think it is a safe cooking environment. I have been thinking about standing it up on a large juice can or maybe I will have to drink one of those Foster big cans of beer and try standing it up!!

Jerry

brdbbq
11-23-2005, 08:26 AM
I would take it back to the store and have them cut that sumbitch in half and go for it, cut her right down the middle.

chad
11-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Definately go with "beer can" method. I have an older style chicken roasting stand that I've used - it's about 12 or 13 inches tall and doesn't have the beer can holder. The idea of using a large chicken broth or juice can would work great too.

Don't forget to pin the neck skin or put an onion or small potato in the neck - it really does help keep the moisture in.

Jeff_in_KC
11-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Definately go with "beer can" method. I have an older style chicken roasting stand that I've used - it's about 12 or 13 inches tall and doesn't have the beer can holder. The idea of using a large chicken broth or juice can would work great too.

Don't forget to pin the neck skin or put an onion or small potato in the neck - it really does help keep the moisture in.

Closing up the neck hole is new to me, Dave! I'll have to try that.

And... I got the turkey stand thing that Noah recommended in the mail last week. Haven't used it yet. Think I will. Not sure what I want to put in it though. Beer sounds good (doesn't it always?). So does Apple juice and poultry seasoning herbs (sage, thyme, etc.)

Ron_L
11-23-2005, 11:51 AM
You'll see 2 issues with size..

Besides the issue that our wives always complain about... :biggrin:

Jeff_in_KC
11-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Farkin' size doesn't matter! We all know that!

ringo
11-23-2005, 12:19 PM
Jerry

You have been given sound advice. I deal with a lot of small processing plants who do their own smoking commercially. They always recommend on larger birds that you cut the bird in half because as Jerry stated you have to get through the danger zone quicky. That being said, I have smoked Turkeys over 21 pounds at least once a year for several years. I smoke between 185 and 220 for 12-14 hours and have never had a problem (maybe I am just lucky). However, I check temps in several places before serving. You cannot be too careful with birds.

Ringo

Mark
11-23-2005, 12:26 PM
I would take it back to the store and have them cut that sumbitch in half and go for it, cut her right down the middle.

As odd as this may be, I find myself in total agreement with Brian.

Solidkick
11-23-2005, 12:36 PM

My GAWD!! He can add something on topic! :tongue:

Yes, split it..............get your poultry shears out and go for it..........

brdbbq
11-23-2005, 01:06 PM
My GAWD!! He can add something on topic! :tongue:

Yes, split it..............get your poultry shears out and go for it..........

I need a emoticon shooting the bird.

Now BOT When I worked in a grocery store as a clean young lad we use to split them on the meat bandsaw for nuthing. First time I did one forgot about the staple holding the legs together, dat was a beach....................:eek:

Jeff_in_KC
11-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Did someone delete a post?

jerrycentral
11-25-2005, 06:46 AM
I found a $4.95 stainless steal kitchen tool holder at Wallmart. It held the big bird up easily. By the way it is about the same size as a large broth can.

The bird tasted great and the legs got done and the breast were moist

I am not sure if I would brine again, it was a little salty tasting, although everyone around the table loved it.

http://www.schmidtphoto.com/turkey05/BC1E9313.jpg

http://www.schmidtphoto.com/turkey05/BC1E9299.jpg

http://www.schmidtphoto.com/turkey05/BC1E9319.jpg

http://www.schmidtphoto.com/turkey05/BC1E9322.jpg

Thanks for the help.
Jerry

rbsnwngs
11-25-2005, 07:09 AM
looks great
now i have to go and have a turkey samich

Ron_L
11-25-2005, 07:51 AM
That baby does look great! I'm going to have to try that one day!

Neil
11-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Looks like ya did a great job.

Mark
11-25-2005, 08:21 AM
I'd probably gone with a 32-oz can Miller High Life
How long dir it take and at what temp?

jerrycentral
11-25-2005, 10:28 AM
I think it was on about 4 1/4 hours at 320.

Solidkick
11-25-2005, 06:23 PM
You pulled it off Jerry! nice job!

Maybe next time try injecting with creole butter instead of brining.

jerrycentral
11-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Tell me brother, what is a creole butter injection???

BBQchef33
11-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Tell me brother, what is a creole butter injection???

http://www.tonychachere.com/store/marinades.html

BBQchef33
11-25-2005, 11:48 PM
something to add here.. I may be stating the obvious but i had a moment of

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH today..

Was doing my turkey.. a 17 pounder... stood to high on the top shelf of the WSM. Wanted to raise it off the botto shelf little bit and went to the shed for something to raise it off the bottom shelf.. Duhhhhh.. a rib rack, placed dead center of the bottom shelf, and then set the top shelf on top of the rib rack. Raised the shelf up about 5 inches.... Fast and easy worked perfectly.