PDA

View Full Version : to foil or not to foil...

thaifighter06
09-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Greetings Brethren -

I have to cook this Sunday for around 50 people. The person throwing the shin-dig asked for pulled pork. In the past, I have always foiled the pork after about 5-6 hours of smoking and finished in the oven. Questions pertaining to this situation...

Can I rock a shoulder in the smoker (egg) without foiling?

How much pork do I need to feed 50 peeps? I was thinking around 1/2lb per person. Thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

bigabyte
09-20-2012, 09:20 AM
If you're feeding that many others, keep as close to your trusted methods as possible. I would foil and use your smoker as the oven. Yes, you absolutely can cook without foil and I do so a lot, but changing things increase your odds of mistakes.

I plan for 50% loss in weight from precooked to serving. So 50 pounds raw for your serving size.

CarolinaQue
09-20-2012, 09:31 AM
If you're feeding that many others, keep as close to your trusted methods as possible. I would foil and use your smoker as the oven. Yes, you absolutely can cook without foil and I do so a lot, but changing things increase your odds of mistakes.

I plan for 50% loss in weight from precooked to serving. So 50 pounds raw for your serving size.

??? Really? 5 - 10 lb butts for 50 people? Buy my experience, 5 - 10 lb butts will feed 80 or so...usually more as women and kids tend to eat less. This just seems like a lot of meat for 50 people. I've always used the 1/2 lb raw meat per person rule and have yet to run out. Well...not counting what people take home with them any how.

Lake Dogs
09-20-2012, 10:08 AM

+1 above, but that does leave plenty for either leftovers or account for big eaters. You could possibly go 1 butt less, even 2 less if you have other things like sausages or hotdogs, plus all the sides. However, I dont. I use the 1# raw weight per person thing, never run out, and even with big eaters (which is always 'round my place, even the women) there's a little left-over for making brunswick stew or giving out for take-home Q.

DONT change your method now. Do that at home when cooking for yourself. If you have a method that works for you, then follow that.

bigabyte
09-20-2012, 10:21 AM

??? Really? 5 - 10 lb butts for 50 people? Buy my experience, 5 - 10 lb butts will feed 80 or so...usually more as women and kids tend to eat less. This just seems like a lot of meat for 50 people. I've always used the 1/2 lb raw meat per person rule and have yet to run out. Well...not counting what people take home with them any how.

I am not discounting your formula, but he said he wants 1/2 pound cooked per person.

Wampus
09-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Right. It's the portion that may be a bit much.
We figure 1/4-1/3 lb per person, depending on the amount of other stuff (sides, other meats, etc) that will be served.

I have tracked weight several times before trimming vs after cooking and pulling (and disposing of bone and fat) and every time I come up with 40% loss.

If it were me serving 50 people, I'd plan on cooking 3 butts (assuming an 8 lb average and 40% waste), which will yield about 14.5 lbs of finished pork or 43 - 1/3 lb portions or 58 - 1/4 lb portions. Assume a 50% waste to be safe or bump up for the 1/2 lb portions. You know better for your situation.

As far as foiling.....I'd do what you normally do to prevent suprises as Biggie said. You can absolutely cook butts with or without foil though.

CarolinaQue
09-20-2012, 10:57 AM
I am not discounting your formula, but he said he wants 1/2 pound cooked per person.

Ahhh...I didn't see the cooked part or pick up on that. Thanks for the clarification!

And I agree...don't change your method now. It's not to much extra work to foil a few more butts than you're used to.

But yes, 4, 8 - 10 lb butts would be more than enh, and you'd have plenty of left overs for later use or to send home with folks.

coondogbbq
09-20-2012, 11:30 AM
So r u cooking butts or whole shoulders?

Panthers65
09-20-2012, 01:33 PM
I foul when I cook low and slow, don't when I cook hot n fast. Just keep it in the smoke until you like the look of the bark. If that just happens to be when the meat is ready, great. If not, foil it and let the meat get tender out of the smoke.

landarc
09-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I agree with Bigabyte pretty much down the line. I also agree with Wampus that 1/2 pound cooked seems like a lot of food. I prefer the 1/3 pound per serving level.

qnbiker
09-20-2012, 04:12 PM
I figure 2/3 lb raw per person. I have never run out, but then I don't cook for groups as often as some of you guys.