PDA

View Full Version : Will propane create a smoke ring?

Trumpstylz
09-18-2012, 04:58 PM
IOW, is the ring created by the heat or the smoke?

Boshizzle
09-18-2012, 05:03 PM
I bet you could create one with propane if you could burn the propane at a high enough temperature to produce Nitrogen dioxide for a long enough time without over cooking the meat.

jfletcherMD
09-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Theoretically, it could, but not a good one. The smoke ring is caused by interaction of myoglobin in the meat with nitrous oxide to produce nitrosohemochrome, and (to a lesser degree) by interaction of myoglobin in the meat with carbon monoxide - which is a by-product of any combustion of carbon-containing fuel - to form carboxymyoglobin. Combustion of propane doesnt give off nitrous oxide, and given the fact that propane burns so cleanly, you'd need to burn a fair amount to produce enough CO to produce the carboxymyoglobin part of the smoke ring.

C3H8 + 5O2 ==> 3CO2 + 4H2O (plus heat)

You could, in theory, limit the amount of oxygen you provide to burning propane to increase your production of carbon monoxide through incomplete combustion, but in so doing, you'd also produce more water and raw carbon...othet by-prodcuts of combustion, and definitely not tasty!

IamMadMan
09-18-2012, 05:13 PM
IOW, is the ring created by the heat or the smoke?

In the world of barbecue, the smoke ring is one of the most coveted properties of smoked meats. It is believed to show that you have done a good job smoking the meat.

The smoke rings is caused by nitric acid building up in the surface of meat, absorbed from the surface. This nitric acid is formed when nitrogen dioxide from wood combustion in smoke mixes with water in the meat. Basically it is a chemical reaction between the smoke and the meat.

So from normal propane heat only (no wood) - you will not get a recognizable smoke ring. If you have or put a wood tray above the propane burner to cause the chips /chunks / pellets to give off smoke you will get some form of a smoke ring, that will be dependent on the smoke released from the chips / chunks / pellets and the length of time the meat is exposed to the smoke.

deguerre
09-18-2012, 05:18 PM
On a gasser...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33802&stc=1&d=1258006932

Butt...nice smoke ring.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=38292&stc=1&d=1268008263

Beef ribs...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37558&stc=1&d=1266714620

Brisket...smoke rings on all.

landarc
09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Or you could just use a little Tenderquik or cure salt.

jfletcherMD
09-18-2012, 06:02 PM
True enough landarc!! Similar idea, in that the nitrites in the salt take the place of the NO and NO2 from the smoke to react with the meat & produce nitrosohemochrome.

This is also why the cheapest of cheap hot dogs & lunch meats have that otherworldly day-glo pink color. Ughhhh...

chriscw81
09-18-2012, 06:39 PM
i love the pink :heh:

Meat Burner
09-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Sure you can. Just put a little tinder quick in your rub. It will create a smoke ring even in your oven.

Teamfour
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
I can get a really nice smoke ring in my propane vertical. Just sayin...

stanimals2
09-18-2012, 07:54 PM
WAIT ! WHAT ?? HOW THE HECK DO YOU PRONOUNCE THAT ??? The hinkydinkmycoxin what ???? LOL!! Smoke good, science teacher bad !!! thats all us hillbillies need to know !!!

Keep smokin my brothers !

captndan
09-19-2012, 07:05 AM
It's highly overrated.

tortaboy
09-19-2012, 07:51 AM
We seem to have an interesting group of answers here.

Those that dabble in science and claim it cannot be done well (It appears they
are incorrect from the evidence). :icon_shy

And

Those that just tried it and showed it can be done very well.

RevZiLLa
09-19-2012, 05:58 PM
I get a great smoke ring with:
a vertical propane smoker that uses a wood chip tray and a water bowl
an electric ECB using wood chips and a water bowl
a charcoal ECB using wood chips and a water bowl
an offset stick burner

Q ain't so complicated and tough...