PDA

View Full Version : Confused with Maverick and IQ110 readings

dae06
09-18-2012, 09:39 AM
I use a Maverick ET-732 along with my IQ110. It seems lately that they are reading different temps while smoking.

I placed them right beside each other at the same height. When my IQ 110 is green (at temp), set at 250 degrees, the Maverick reads ~215-220. I've played with the IQ's dial to make it flash indicating under temp and at that point the dial is at ~240 while the Maverick is showing a much lower temp. Ive also had the IQ flash red indicating over temp (dial turned to ~265 to get the light to change to green from its original 250) and the maverick is only showing 235ish.

I've been told that the IQ is supposed to be more accurate, so I did the boiling water test, and they are within 2-3 degrees of each other.

Thus, I am confused.

I want to stress that the probes in the smoker where right beside each other.

Any ideas?

YellowSuge
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I have the same issue.

My only thought is that the IQ's alligator clip might be insulating the heat a bit since it covers the tip of the probe, thus giving you different readings.

dae06
09-18-2012, 11:51 AM
But the IQ is basically sensing a higher temp. I just don't know. :confused:

grantw
09-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Mine does the opposite , the alligator clip must be screwing up the reading. Try not using the clip

dae06
09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Mine does the opposite , the alligator clip must be screwing up the reading. Try not using the clip

I'll try this next time.

grantw
09-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Something I been meaning to try is using a potatoe with a skewer through it to put my probes onto

nthole
09-18-2012, 12:49 PM
How old is your unit? I had to just replace my probe after about two years. I noticed it was starting to get a bit inaccurate (as I always run it WITH a regular temp probe as well) in the last month. Then it just got wildly inaccurate. I bought two new ones and the boys at iQue sent them right out. And it's working spot on once again.

dae06
09-18-2012, 12:53 PM
How old is your unit? I had to just replace my probe after about two years. I noticed it was starting to get a bit inaccurate (as I always run it WITH a regular temp probe as well) in the last month. Then it just got wildly inaccurate. I bought two new ones and the boys at iQue sent them right out. And it's working spot on once again.

Only about 4 months old. When I run them with a analog thermometer, the IQ is pretty close to it, but they are not side by side, so I can't really troubleshoot using it. Next time I'll try running all three side by side.

nthole
09-18-2012, 01:05 PM
What I do is I actually clip the aligator clip of the iQue to the END of my probe thermo. It doesn't effect it at all as far as taking temp and therefore they are in EXACTLY the same spot.

colonel00
09-18-2012, 01:07 PM
You can also get a cheap oven thermometer from the grocery store. Put it on the rack right next to the probes and test its readings as well.

---k---
09-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Mine read the same. I note though the iQ seems to lag the maverick and doesn't react the excat second you reach the target temp.

I've also found pinching my maverick wires can cause it to read high/low. So check that.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

IamMadMan
09-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Unless both items were calibrated on the same equipment at the same time there is always going to be difference. Differences in materials used in the manufacturing process will also effect how temperatures are sensed and the time it takes to recognize that change and process it to the digital display.

Maybe the firmware in the processor of the IQ has a routine for a heat anticipator or may average changes as they happen over time to prevent constant stops and starts of the unit.

We must also bear in mind we are dealing with consumer grade electronics and not scientific measuring equipment capable of detecting nano changes in temperature. With consumer grade electronics there is always a give and take in the design and the selection of components to keep the price affordable to the targeted consumers. Different components / materials and different manufacturing processes will yield different products which will operate and respond differently.