PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum for Ash Removal

doctordun
09-17-2012, 10:26 PM
I always use an ash pan, but there is always some ash that misses the pans and/or sticks in the bottom grate of the firebox.

Is there a "best" type of vacuum to use when dealing with ash?
Does an ordinary shop vac work just fine?
I would think the ash might be too fine and just blow through the filter.

tish
09-17-2012, 10:28 PM
I always vacuum my ashes. I just use the regular canister vacuum with a long hose. Works fine. Don't see why a shop vac wouldn't work.

shirknwrk
09-17-2012, 10:28 PM
I use a shop vac. to clean the hard to reach places on my Egg. Works fine... there is some dust that escapes but not enough to worry about.

caseydog
09-17-2012, 10:29 PM
A shop vac will work. The ash is not too fine, although you will ruin filters in a hurry. Just make sure to wait at least a day before cleaning, or have a hose or fire extinguisher handy. :shock:

CD

cheez
09-17-2012, 10:31 PM
I have in the past seen ash vacuums for sale at Tractor Supply. They've been displayed with other fireplace items in the fall/winter. I think one that I saw before even said it could handle "warm" ash. Here is the only one I find on their website, they may have others in your local store:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/hearth-country-trade-ash-vacuum-800w-4-gal--3102712

gnwes
09-17-2012, 10:45 PM
i use a shop vac on my egg with a narrow type adapter, works pretty good i'd say.

Soybomb
09-17-2012, 10:47 PM
I could be wrong but I'd swear my shop vac said not to use it on ashed without an extra filter or something...

Cloudsmoker
09-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Use a Sears shop vac. Got a decent 5hp for about $40 - after finding out too small was not that helpful. Just not too useful for anything else besides ashes.

Midnight Smoke
09-17-2012, 10:55 PM
A shop vac is perfect, for my Sears Craftsman model there is actually a separate filter that is made just for ash dust. By cleaning the ash out by hand first there will not be too much ash to clean up anyway.

grantw
09-17-2012, 11:00 PM
it never even occured to me to vacuum it, im going to try it out

glh17
09-17-2012, 11:17 PM
I've got 2 shop vacs, a Fein and a Ridgid. I got the Ridgid on sale last fall at HD at a great price. I've got a Delta dust collector for most of my woodworking equipment and I use the Fein for the rest. I use the Ridgid for everything else including ash in my kettles. Done it for about a year with no problems. Just dusty when I dump into a big trash bag. I dump the ash in my WSM directly into a 5 gallon galvanized can.

If you can wait, Home Depot usually puts some of their shop vacs on sale in the Fall. I got mine last fall. It was an online special but they also normally put them on sale in the stores. If all you want it for is ash removal you could probably find a cheaper vac at Harbor Freight or Walmart.

Caution: Make sure the coals are completely out before vacuuming. I wait at least a couple of days to make sure. I accidentally vacuumed a lit cigarette in my Fein several years ago. I thought I'd lit one but couldn't find it. I found it when I smelled smoke. Luckily, I was still around to smell it.

rlt
09-18-2012, 12:18 AM
I bought the one from home depot that goes on top of a five gallon bucket. I have been using it for two+ years and I have had no issues.

javahog2002
09-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Hmmmmm. Never vacuumed any ashes from any of my pits, grills. I just use the pit ash scraper or dump them from the ash tray.

Teamfour
09-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Shop vac here as well.

Skidder
09-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Sorry I'm the minority here. Never ever use a shop vac for ashes. All it takes is one hot coal to start a delayed fire. Example you vacuum out your cooker and put the shop vac away hours or days later a fire starts. Think about it. Is it worth loosing your home or family over. I use a vacuum from my pellet stove it's all metal even then I store it away from my home. This is a fun hobby but it can or could be dangerous. Safety at all times nothing we do here is worth getting hurt for. I once put 2 day old coals and ashes in a paper bag and put them in my firepit. An hour later I see smoke coming from the back yard. Stay safe.

SmokyWoodturner
09-18-2012, 07:32 AM
I use an old shop vac(put a central vac in the shop) with double filter bag to clean the fire box of my GMDB. Works like a champ:grin:. Of course make sure the fire is out--Like next day.
SmokyWoodturner

charrederhead
09-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Black Friday usually offers a good shop vac deal somewhere. Personally, I would only use an all-metal vac made especially for ash.

Panthers65
09-18-2012, 08:18 AM
I bought the one from home depot that goes on top of a five gallon bucket. I have been using it for two+ years and I have had no issues.

Same with me, I figured it I can buy a new shop vac every two years for $20 it's well worth it

Sorry I'm the minority here. Never ever use a shop vac for ashes. All it takes is one hot coal to start a delayed fire. Example you vacuum out your cooker and put the shop vac away hours or days later a fire starts. Think about it. Is it worth loosing your home or family over. I use a vacuum from my pellet stove it's all metal even then I store it away from my home. This is a fun hobby but it can or could be dangerous. Safety at all times nothing we do here is worth getting hurt for. I once put 2 day old coals and ashes in a paper bag and put them in my firepit. An hour later I see smoke coming from the back yard. Stay safe.

I clean my ashes right before I use my egg, not right after. Seems to be common sense to me.

KD8MKI
09-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Like has already been mentioned, common sense and a shop vac will go a long way.

ssbbqguy
09-18-2012, 08:46 AM
On every smoker that leaves here there is a sticker reminding the user to have fun , enjoy and clean after every use. Very important for we use a high airflow intake system. I don't want any ashes migrating through the smoker plate and land on the food. We always ask that user uses low ash producing fuel and clean up with a shop vac before using again. Steve.

captndan
09-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Same with me, I figured it I can buy a new shop vac every two years for $20 it's well worth it

I clean my ashes right before I use my egg, not right after. Seems to be common sense to me.
If you're using lump clean the filter more often. That ash is very fine.

Skidder
09-18-2012, 08:54 AM

Common sense yes but a shop vac is not designed for ash removal. Maybe it's just me but I'm not going to use a paper flitered and plastic vac for this. Up to the person doing it but this is just my opinion.

gnwes
09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Common sense yes but a shop vac is not designed for ash removal. Maybe it's just me but I'm not going to use a paper flitered and plastic vac for this. Up to the person doing it but this is just my opinion.

what do you mean its not designed for ash removal? Does it need a special filter? I dont see the problem as long as the ashes aren't lit.

Skidder
09-18-2012, 09:38 AM
what do you mean its not designed for ash removal? Does it need a special filter? I dont see the problem as long as the ashes aren't lit.

Lets see most are made of plastic with a plastic hose and a paper filter. Hey if you wanna go for go right ahead. Me ain't happening. It's that one smoldering ash that could get ya in trouble. Not looking for a pizzing match just want everyone to be safe to smoke another day is all. How many swore up and donw that cigarette was out and burned down there home. Spend the $$ and get a proper vac or scoop the ashes is what I would do. But like I said that's just me.

markdtn
09-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Shop vac, the day after for me too.

ssbbqguy
09-18-2012, 10:16 AM
From the sounds of replies it sound like alot people seem to think others are going to catch everything on the planet on fire. Common sense should overide stupidity. Only a fool would use the vacuum when ashes are HOT! If they're cold just use a HEPA filter and clean very often. I clean the filter about every two to three usess and use that shop vac only for ashes. Haven't burned the house down yet. but I don't bring the vac in the house. Steve.

swinn
09-18-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't vacuum either. mostly I just dump the ash tray and put it away. Once in an while I get out my leaf blower and blow it out while I am blowing off the patio.

gtr
09-18-2012, 11:14 AM
I dump my ashes in an ash can and use a shop vac to get rid of the little bit that's left in the firebox - the stuff that's in the corners, etc.

willbird
09-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Hmm what might be nice, is a steel canister that you can hook inline with a shop vac. use the shop vac to pull stuff into it, but the canister has it's own filtering system made to handle the ash, and keep anything that might burn OUT of the shop vac. Might be able to make one from a 5 gallon steel bucket ??

doctordun
09-19-2012, 12:17 PM
I just checked. Shop-Vac is actually coming out with one next month just for ash.

glh17
09-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Target and Home Depot also carry shop-vacs designed for ash. They're $80 and are available on-line only. Probably be around $100 with shipping and tax.

Panthers65
09-19-2012, 01:29 PM
If you're using lump clean the filter more often. That ash is very fine.

Oh I bang the filter off after every use. I'm saying if the shop vacuum itself dies every 2 years I'd be alright putting $20 down for another cheapie.

A shop vacuum is not designed for hot ash removal. It's a vacuum, it's designed to suck up dirt and debri, one of which I would consider ask. My wife is probably more likely to burn our house down with her hair dryer than I am or any person with common sense is with a shop vacuum cleaning a grill out.

pmad
09-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Lets see most are made of plastic with a plastic hose and a paper filter. Hey if you wanna go for go right ahead. Me ain't happening. It's that one smoldering ash that could get ya in trouble. Not looking for a pizzing match just want everyone to be safe to smoke another day is all. How many swore up and donw that cigarette was out and burned down there home. Spend the $$ and get a proper vac or scoop the ashes is what I would do. But like I said that's just me.

Shop Vac doesn't have a problem with it
http://www.vacuum-home.com/shopvac-9067200/

Nor does Rigid (first row second column)
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Vac-Filters/EN/index.htm

of course, they suggest you use common sense and wait until ashes are cold.

Skidder
09-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Well then rock it!

Drunk Monkey
09-19-2012, 04:30 PM
I also use a show vac right before I want to cook. When I am done I close up the vents, choke off the fire and save that charcoal. I have the smallest model Lowe's sells, 2.5 gallon $29.99. I have had it for over 5 years and it is still going strong. If a coal is still smoldering 24 hours after I close up my Kamado I will be outside manning my grill and will notice the fire before it has a chance to burn the place down.

Daggs
09-20-2012, 12:18 AM
I use a shop vac right before every cook. It cleans out the whole UDS perfectly. I emptied it after 5 runs and blew out the filter never had a problem. The filter was caked beyond belief but the high pressure air took care of that and the wind did the rest.