PDA

View Full Version : I may be banned for this...

dealm9
09-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Dear Brethren forgive me for I am about to sin:tsk:,
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/dealm9/IMAG0065.jpg

What you are seeing is not an illusion. A 9lb pork shoulder will be cooking in a crock pot tomorrow. I never thought I would put crock pot and pork shoulder in the same sentence, but I am at school and I am not allowed to bring my smoker. I go to school in the Bronx and live in campus apartments so there is no getting around it. I would rather have crock pot pulled pork, however, than no pulled pork so I am breaking out the crock pot for my first ever pulled pork cook in a crock pot.

Since it is my first time, I have some questions (please do not be embarrassed to answer them, no on will judge you :roll:). I plan on using my maverick to monitor the internal temp. This is probably a stupid question but I am still looking for the same internal temp of the pork in a crock pot as I would a smoker right? Also, I was not planning on adding any liquid because I am assuming that the rendering of the fat will supply all the liquid it needs and that I want. Is this okay? There is a low and high heat temp setting on my crock. Time won't really be an issue since I will be up at 0430 tomorrow anyway so if it were you what temp setting would you go with?

This is my first time using a crock pot to cook anything so I am very unfamiliar with it. I have used it to reheat bbq though, and it seems idiot proof. I did not have any rubs on hand and was too lazy to make one so I just did a layered rub of garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt, and the brown sugar. No measurements used at all. I just tried to get an even coating of each ingredient on it. This is also my first shoulder as I have always smoked boston butts. I trimmed the skin off and sealed it in a bag for later use. I am planning on just frying them. I have never done this though so any advice or tips would be appreciated or if there is something better to do with the skin I am all ears.

I got this originally 10lb pork shoulder for $1.10/lb. Here it is with a light trimming and the skin removed
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/dealm9/IMAG0061.jpg
I forgot to get a picture of it rubbed before wrapping it in saran wrap but I assume you all know what a rubbed shoulder looks like.

As you can tell from the first picture the shoulder is a tad to big for my small little crock so I have to cut some meat off. Of course I was not smart enough to check that before I trimmed and rubbed the shoulder. :doh:

Sorry for such a long post for something so vile. If this is the last post I am allowed to post here I wish you all the best. I will do my best never to pollute q-talk with such garbage.

PatAttack
09-10-2012, 08:53 PM
I, I, just don't know what to say...:drama:

tortaboy
09-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Do 50 push ups and all is forgiven.

---k---
09-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm not going to judge. You do what you have to do. I've never used a crock pot myself, so I can't help... I've have had tasty bbq-releated meals from a crockpot though... but those are more like sloppy joe than pulled pork.

Maybe add a small amount of liquid smoke? Maybe also use a rack to lift it up a little. I know when people do bbq in a crock pot they typically add a whole jar of bbq sauce to the point that is all you taste. I would not recommend that approach, but who knows it may be needed to get edible results. :shocked: Let us know how it turns out.

porkingINpublic
09-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Why!?!?!?!? :Cry:

MICHIGAN SMOKE
09-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Things are bad when you resort to crock pots...just think, there are sick people that prefer to use them!

Ron_L
09-10-2012, 09:01 PM
I'd say that you are looking for the same internal ten, but I've never done it.

Here's an interested sounding recipe...

http://www.recipegirl.com/2011/02/14/slow-cooker-root-beer-pulled-pork/

BTW, please leave your man-card with the bouncer on your way out.

:becky:

Jason TQ
09-10-2012, 09:08 PM
I used to rub them and put it in with some sauce and let it go on whatever my low setting was for about 8hrs and it was always pretty much ready. No shame man. Own it like you don't give a hoot what people think.

Jethro608
09-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I would definatly add 1/4 inch or more of water. Or brown before putting it in. Think maybe do 1/2. See how it turns out.
Oh hell why don't you just boil some ribs while your at it:D

TurboDog
09-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Put it on LOW , it will take 8-10 hours. Just like cooking it any other way , use the bone as your guide to doneness , if it will wiggle and pull out without too much trouble , it's done.

dealm9
09-10-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm not going to judge. You do what you have to do. I've never used a crock pot myself, so I can't help... I've have had tasty bbq-releated meals from a crockpot though... but those are more like sloppy joe than pulled pork.

Maybe add a small amount of liquid smoke? Maybe also use a rack to lift it up a little. I know when people do bbq in a crock pot they typically add a whole jar of bbq sauce to the point that is all you taste. I would not recommend that approach, but who knows it may be needed to get edible results. :shocked: Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks k for not judging like the rest of these mongrels. I like the rack idea. I really do not want to have to add any liquid because I want it to taste like pork. I have never used liquid smoke so I am a little apprehensive. I think I am just going to accept the fact that this is not going to taste anything like smoked PP.

Yes sir! And you should do 25 for reading such a horrifying thread.

I'd say that you are looking for the same internal ten, but I've never done it.

Here's an interested sounding recipe...

http://www.recipegirl.com/2011/02/14/slow-cooker-root-beer-pulled-pork/

BTW, please leave your man-card with the bouncer on your way out.

:becky:

I must say that does not look all that bad:icon_blush:. Thanks for the recipe Ron. I gave up my man-card to the cashier of the grocery store when I bought that shoulder knowing it was going to be cooked in a crock pot.

Butt Rubb'n BBQ
09-10-2012, 09:14 PM
You are the man.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

charrederhead
09-10-2012, 09:15 PM
My name is charrederhead, and I have used a crock pot to make pulled pork...:tsk:...then I found THIS place! :clap:

As for procedure, I'd put maybe a couple of oz. of water in the crock pot, then put a salted/peppered hunk o' pork in, set the temp switch to low, and wait several hours. Hmm, sounds like a WSM!

The bbq sauce takes on greater importance. I make my own.

I never put a rub on and never got a bark. Not sure that's possible w/ a CP. Maybe, if you used the high heat setting.

Good luck and enjoy those PP sandwiches!

bigabyte
09-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Yes, yes and low.

I was never here.

BBQ Bandit
09-10-2012, 09:20 PM
There is no harm in using what is available.

A crock pot is a useful tool when properly used. It is an element towards a cooking term and process what is known as a braise.
A braise is simply taking a piece of meat and brown all sides to a thick exterior crust; then transferred to an indirect environment (in this example - your crockpot). Place your rub seasonings in the liquid with your meat and cook till falling apart - around 200* as an internal temp.

Good luck!

mdjamesd
09-10-2012, 09:24 PM
The pork will cook faster in the crock pot due to the added moisture. Set it for 8-10 hours on low. DO NOT add any bbq sauce to the crock. The molasses will separate and become bitter. Same goes for liquid smoke. Set the crock, close the lid, and don't open.

Tatoosh
09-10-2012, 09:29 PM
The other option, if you have a kitchen, is a pressure cooker. It is the reverse of slow cook, but works well. You can have, by some folk's standards, pretty good pork. No, not barbecue, but done in an hour, moist, and easy to pull apart. Also good for overcooked (falling off the bone) ribs.

chriscw81
09-10-2012, 09:34 PM
This is the hardest I've laughed at any post since joining:D

I'm not hating on ya bro. If I were you I would put a mini wsm on the sidewalk somewhere.

[Insert witty condescending joke here]

:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BillywannaQ
09-10-2012, 09:43 PM
You're using a crock pot make pulled pork while away at college, while living in the college apartments? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're gonna have a crowded apartment full of people wanting crock pot pulled pork! I say run what ya brung. Bravo son, bravo!

Tonybel
09-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Crockpot in low setting for about 9 hours and you will be fine. Add 1/4 cup of apple juice and when you come home it will smell amazing. But be warned you will definately miss the bark and the smoke flavor. But do what you must to get your pork fix.

Southstar Jeff
09-10-2012, 09:52 PM
I've done many crock pots full of pulled pork, before I really knew what BBQ is and really didnt even know to call it pulled pork. I developed a recipe, long since lost and forgotten, that used beef broth, pepper and a seasonng that came a bottle, some sort of country style sauce, I can't remember the name. Any way, I was feeding 4 teenagers at the time and they all loved it.

That said, I think liquid is going to be essential, as you are going to be braising, not bbq'ing.

I would suggest just make something tasty Nd don't worry if it is BBQ.

Dallas Dan
09-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures! :biggrin1: I feel for the poor sole who lives in an apartment that doesn't allow open flame grills on the patios. :tsk:

Smokgineer
09-10-2012, 09:58 PM
I have "braised" several pork butts in a crock pot in my day. I would suggest adding some acid of some kind along with a small amount of liquid. Start on high until you see steam forming and then switch to low and let it roll. I generally used crushed tomato and a sloshing of red wine (or a tbsp or 2 of vinegar if you don't have wine) as my acid. Just my 2 cents. I say eat the best you can. It will undoubtedly be better than the pulled pork in the caf! Use the fork test for doneness, it will easier than pulling it out and trying to get to the bone.

4uweque
Just put it in the oven for the love of god!!! Use a little liquid smoke and be quiet about it!!

Q-Dat
Do you at least have a George Foreman Grill or something like that, to put some kind of browning on the meat before it goes into the crock pot? It would make a tremendous difference in my opinion.

Westexbbq
09-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I can empathize with your plight but yet applaud your honesty in telling it like it is. Do not despair, good luck with your concoction and enjoy.
( it could be worse, after all, some people even put beans in chili for goodness sake.......)

chriscw81
09-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I can empathize with your plight but yet applaud your honesty in telling it like it is. Do not despair, good luck with your concoction and enjoy.
( it could be worse, after all, some people even put beans in chili for goodness sake.......)

Beans in chili? Hell no! Ive killed for less...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hook_Line_and_Sinker
09-10-2012, 10:22 PM
When in Rome......

Since you have to eat, it far better to expand your repertoire to include roughing it.

No mater how you get good food done, you are ahead!

Feel free to go recover your "man card" ... Did I mention coeds love good food too.....

tinman
09-10-2012, 10:28 PM
I can just picture it.......you'll get desperate and be the first guy to be busted for smoking pig in the bathroom.
You are just coming at it from the other end; when I was Q ignorant, I cooked tons of stuff in the crock pot and was satisfied. I am sure you will make something tasty, but I will be curious to see if it even comes close to scratching your itch.

Shadowdog500
09-10-2012, 10:48 PM
A meal is sometimes about the company and not the food. I like all food and don't complain if it is not made a certain way. Toss it in and dump a can of coke in there with it and let her go on low all night. pull it in the morning and toss some sweet sauce in there and enjoy the pulled pork sammiches with friends.

Chris

cowgirl
09-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Well I still luv ya Mark! Ya gotta do what ya gotta do....and you're not living on ramen noodles. :thumb:
Your dry rub combo sounds great. Hope you take pics of the finished feast! :-D

JMSetzler
09-10-2012, 11:14 PM
I'd cut that 9lb butt in half instead of trying to cram the whole thing in the crock pot.

douglaslizard
09-10-2012, 11:17 PM
may be a little late but ,when my mom would make it in the cp she added some sliced onions and it turned out pretty good.so if it were me and i was making p.p in a crock pot i might go that route and probably add some chopped bell pepper too.

funugy
09-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Gosh darn it. I hate to admit this, but this is actually the first time I KNOW more about a topic than the OP.

Crock pot PP is really simple. Season the roast how you like and set it on low. That's pretty much it. Before I found this site a few months ago, we would do this at least once a month. Typically I would season a butt or picnic with nothing more than seasoning salt. Set the roast in the crock pot on low before work, and when I came home 9-10 hours later it was done. No water/juice is needed. The pork will render a lot of fat and water. I drained the resulting liquid, pulled the bone, and forked the meat apart. Add your favorite BBQ sauce for flavor and eat. That simple, no resting required.

I'm embarrassed to say this is my first post since my introduction, but this is a topic I know I can help with.

Crazy Harry
09-11-2012, 12:20 AM
trim all the fat off the outside, otherwise it will all be floating on the surface on the CP. adding onions and peppers is good. if you want to add a liquid, use beer. there is plenty of moisture in the pork and it won't be going anywhere

42BBQ
09-11-2012, 01:50 AM
My neighbors old man father is from Puerto Rico. We just had a KILLER roast pork with rice and beans the other night. It was a bone in shoulder done in a shallow pan rubbed generously with Adobo among other things. It was scored deeply in a couple spots with rub filling the crevices. It was done to a point where we sliced it and laid the slices over the rice and beans. It was dang good and never saw a hint of smoke....just sayin :)

BBQchef33
09-11-2012, 01:59 AM
ok, face it.. its not bbq, so if you want my 2 cents here it is...

Italian pulled pork.

Saute some chopped garlic in about 1/4 cup olive oil, then add that to the crock pot.
add a chopped vidalia onion, 2 28 ounce cans of fresh tomatoes, slightly crushed by hand. Then some fresh basil(about fistful of whole leaves.... corse chopped) and oregano(or italian seasoning) and 2-3 bay leaves. cut the butt in half and crock pot it for 6-8 hours or until it shreds easy. You can also uses country ribs, baby backs, spares, etc..

when its done, skim off some of the fat, and shred the butt right there in the sauce and spoon it over fresh garlic bread.

anyone complains, take it away from them and keep it for yourself.

Teamfour
09-11-2012, 05:26 AM
In college crock pot food can be a chick magnet. Just sayin

MisterChrister
09-11-2012, 07:01 AM
Whoever said the ONLY acceptable way to cook meat is over an open flame is an ignorant arse. Lots of great ideas here. Two more that may work: 1) Take your schoolwork to the park with a mini WSM for a hot and fast cook and let your wrapped meat rest on the way back to the dorm. Be the ONLY guy on campus with Q. 2) See if any farkers on here are Brethren enough to invite you to use their driveway on NFL game days!

NickTheGreat
09-11-2012, 07:10 AM
I always use BEER when I crock pot cook. Dump a little beer in the pot, and drink the rest. :razz:

dealm9
09-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Wow who would have thought a thread about crock pot PP would get so much response. Thanks so much everyone for the ideas. I just put the shoulder in the crock. I used most of the ideas from the earlier post as I had not read the new ones yet, but I especially like the italian pulled pork idea and will be doing that with another shoulder I got since they were so cheap.

I liked the browning idea so I took out my electric griddle to get a good sear on.
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/dealm9/IMAG0067.jpg
Flipped
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/dealm9/IMAG0069.jpg
Crock pot setup:
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/dealm9/IMAG0066-1.jpg
the liquid i added was a 1/4cup apple cider vinegar mixed with a 1/4cup homemade bbq sauce

Now all that's left is one class to go to and many beers to drink
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/dealm9/IMAG0071.jpg

I always use BEER when I crock pot cook. Dump a little beer in the pot, and drink the rest. :razz:
I don't think a shortage of beer is the problem here. I have my fellow ruggers from the rugby teams coming over and lets just say the amount of 30 packs they brought over when stacked up is taller than me and I am 6' tall.

As requested:
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/dealm9/IMAG0072.jpg

More pron to come and no I do not mean of the college girls coming over...well maybe

deguerre
09-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with the cooking method. No, it's not barbeque, but you already know that. Braised/slow cooked pork can be good in and of itself. Phil's recipe for Italian style makes an excellent point for this. You've already got good responses on the cook questions so I'll just leave it at that. Oh, can I have some when it's done?:becky:

razrbakcrzy
09-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Holy cow the whole complex is going to be in your apartment....! I have to admit I have used the Liquid smoke several years ago(15-20) it will put a smokey flavor in your cooking, you should try it, just use it lightly....

Good luck!

Gnaws on Pigs
09-11-2012, 09:06 AM
It'll turn out fine. No, it's not the same as smoked q, but it can be pretty durn good. The keys are to sear it really good on all sides first, and not use too much liquid, or it'll taste boiled. With searing, a good rub, and a good sauce, you can make a really tasty meal even if it isn't smoked.

My only other advice is that you're way overthinking/overcomplicating the temp thing with the thermometer and probe. Not needed. Sear it, put it in the pot, turn it on low, and it'll be done this afternoon. You'll know its done when it feels tender and the bone pulls out.

swinn
09-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Pork is pork, obviously smoking it gives it a better flavor, but with the right seasoning crockpot food is not that bad really. If I had the opportunity I would sear it on a grill first to get that good char flavor, or maybe even pan sear it for some kind of bark to it but it is still pork, and PORK IS GOOD!

thaifighter06
09-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Agreeing with the Bandit here. If you literally can't find a way to smoke, the crock pot (sigh) makes a totally decent shoulder. Before my smoking days, I used the crock pot frequently. You definitely do NOT need water. If nothing else, rub that sucker down with mustard, coat in rub and toss'er in there for 9hrs on low. If you want to get real crazy, cut up an onion, apple or anything else you want for added flavor. For a light sauce to toss it in (due to lack of smoke) I'd use whatever bbq you like best simmered with liquid smoke and red wine vinegar. You'll get at least a tad bit of smokey flavor that way. Good luck, my dude and I hope the rules change at your school!

billm
09-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks k for not judging like the rest of these mongrels. I like the rack idea. I really do not want to have to add any liquid because I want it to taste like pork. I have never used liquid smoke so I am a little apprehensive. I think I am just going to accept the fact that this is not going to taste anything like smoked PP.
instead of liquid smoke try using some smoked paprika..i just find liquid smoke nasty for any application

Fire_Mgmt
09-11-2012, 12:49 PM
I used to make pulled pork this way before I got my smoker. I always thought it turned out pretty well in the crockpot.

Since you are actually braising the meat, I've always added a cup of chicken broth mixed with a cup of apple juice and used that as my braising liquid.

Once the pork is done, carefully remove it (it'll fall apart for sure) and set it aside.

Using what's left of the liquid, add about a cup of your favourite BBQ sauce and let simmer on high, uncovered, for about 30mins or until the sauce thickens up.

Once thickened, throw in the pulled pork, assuming you've pulled it while the sauce finished up.

In my opinion, this is some of the best sauce, smoker or no smoker, that you can make.

Cack
09-11-2012, 01:55 PM
More pron to come and no I do not mean of the college girls coming over...well maybe

Kids today :rolleyes:

Good food and beer ... and he doesn't want to share the coeds :tsk:

Sledneck
09-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Where you in school in the bronx? Fordham?

PitRow
09-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Ain't no shame in doing it in the crock pot. Sure, it's not smoked / BBQ, but you can turn out some great stuff. Here's a link to one I did, Carnitas de Yucatan, basically citrus flavored pulled pork. Turned out great.

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/carnitas-de-yucatn-crock-pot-style_topic2165.html

dealm9
09-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Kids today :rolleyes:

Good food and beer ... and he doesn't want to share the coeds :tsk:

Oh I have no problem sharing the coeds with my fellow brethren. The real question is wherther the coeds want to be shared with the brethren. Then again, that's not all that important of a question:thumb:

Ain't no shame in doing it in the crock pot. Sure, it's not smoked / BBQ, but you can turn out some great stuff. Here's a link to one I did, Carnitas de Yucatan, basically citrus flavored pulled pork.

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/carnitas-de-yucatn-crock-pot-style_topic2165.html

Thanks Pitrow, that sounds great! I will definitely try that one.

Where you in school in the bronx? Fordham?
Yes.

caliking
09-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Well? An update?

No shame in cooking something tasty for yourself... who cares if it is not pulled pork done the usual bbq way (oops - wrong place to say that!). You are obviously putting some effort in to cooking some good eats for you and your friends, and that is what it should always be about.

Don't know if you would like it, but I always serve my pulled pork with the small King's Hawaiian Rolls to make sliders. Have not had any complaints yet at any of the gatherings I have made it for.

And save a plate for me!

NickTheGreat
09-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Where's the coed pr0n? Err uhhh I mean pulled pork pr0n?

orennoah
09-12-2012, 11:22 AM
After you've pulled the pork, return it to the crockpot.

Bring 2 cups of water with 2 teaspoon of kosher salt to a boil. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke.

Pour over pork. Stir to combine.

That'll give a bit smokiness to your product.

It may be cheating, but - unlike cheating on your exams - you can't get expelled for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bkgsmoker
09-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Why your at it pour liquid smoke on it. Might as well break all that is sacred. All will be forgiven.:heh:

sparky66
09-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Are you kidding? Okay, so you can't have your smoker on campus. I'd say you are eating in style with pulled pork compared to how most of the kids have to eat on campus. Sorry never cooked on one though. Hope it turned out well.

Lake Dogs
09-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Not banned, just re-directed. Refer to:

www.crockpot-brethren.com

tinman
09-12-2012, 08:21 PM
I say you bring your Q gear and set up in a public place......once the students start sampling your grub....you are likely to start a campus revolution! :biggrin1:

dealm9
09-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Sorry for the long wait for how it turned out. It actually turned out damn good. I just had to accept the fact that it was not bbq and treated it as a completely different kind of food.

Here it is all finished and ready to be pulled
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/dealm9/IMAG0074.jpg
Back in the crock with some sweet baby rays and apple cider vinegar mixture. After I pulled it I seasoned it a bit more and poured some apple cider vinegar over it and it was amazing. I regret even putting the sauce on because the vinegar on the naked pork was definitely the best option. The sauced pork was still good though
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/dealm9/IMAG0076.jpg
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff469/dealm9/IMAG0078.jpg

For a dinner cooked at college it was the best I could do. It was not bbq, but it was probably the next best thing. If I do it again I am going to trim a lot more fat though because it was annoying to separate from the meat. About 10 rugby guys came over after practice and we devoured that thing pretty quickly and drank beers even quicker. The pork definitely provided a good coating in the stomach for the night that ensued.

Next up in my crock pot sinfulness will probably be corned beef. Thanks for all the help and advice. Maybe next time I will focus more on the other pron that comes from living on a college campus:heh:...but sorry, for this one I only got food pron

Mark M
09-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Nothing wrong with improvising. Great job. Get a lot of A's in school and W's on the rugby field. Good luck with both.

tinman
09-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Man that's volumes better than I ate during dorm life! I used to make top ramen in my coffee maker!