PDA

View Full Version : Wood Duck-how to cook?

markdtn
09-10-2012, 07:54 AM
A co-worker is offering me a wood duck. I have never eaten duck, but am willing to try anything. He says they usually just eat the breast portion. So, my questions:
1) Whole or parts? Is it better to cook the whole thing, maybe spatch-cocked or just the breast?
2) How to cook? Low and slow? Fast and hot? Just a rub or wrapped in bacon or what?
Thanks for any advice. I did a search and the only thing I found on site was just the breasts wrapped in bacon-which looked good. Just wondering what other options were out there.

Garyclaw
09-10-2012, 08:01 AM
I've only cooked the breast, hot and fast in a CI shillet w/butter. Season first. Mighty good stuff!

ssbbqguy
09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Duck has so much more fat in it versus chicken. I would be hessitant to use much bacon if you're slow cooking. When using higher heat , maybe. So much fat and flavor in the duck. I think flattening out would be great taste wise and a brine would impart the flavor you wanted to add. Good luck. Steve.

SmokinAussie
09-10-2012, 10:22 AM
A wood duck is a very different critter to a domesticated duck. Firstly, they are nowhere near as fatty, and they can be quite tough, and this is why some people as already see, just eat the breast. This is a great shame though because the rest of the duck is Deeelicious. The thing is.. just like a turkey (but a lot smaller) you've got the issue of two seperate meat types and you have to treat each seperately, The thighs and legs are extremely tough, and so benefit from a much longer cooking time. My solution would be to cut the duck so that the breast and wings peparate from the thighs and legs. Start all together, cook the breast till it gts to 150F at the most!...Remove and rest the breast and keep the legs cooking until say 180 / 190. Then add the breast back in if you want to warm it up and present the meat all together. Don't get too fancy with rubs or anything... Duck skin on it's own is delicious. Salt and Pepper, honey glaze maybe.

Hot and fast too, if you want a crispy skin.. a must for duck..

BTW, I'm just guessing all this... I have not had wood duck for a verylong time, but I sure do remember how good it is!

Cheers!

Bill

markdtn
09-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks!

Garyclaw
09-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Bill's right. Wild duck, especially a smaller speices, are kinda lean. The Wood Duck is a "dabbler", meaning it only eats vegatation. The meat is fairly sweet. Let us know how it turns out.

deguerre
09-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Bill's post sounds great. Make sure you get all the shot out of it though.

Chrispy
09-10-2012, 04:15 PM
I think Bill nailed it, wood duck is soooo good! one of the best, not too strong, great for a first wild duck! Enjoy!!

Hoosier1960
09-11-2012, 06:29 PM
I have eaten it two ways. First is just like doing a beer can chicken on the grill. The second is to quarter the breasts, marinade them in italian dressing, wrap them in bacon and grill them till the bacon is done. DON'T overcook!