PDA

View Full Version : White smoke not going away

HOPTOAD
09-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Last night I smoked 50 MOINK balls and a couple fatties for a family reunion coming up on Sunday. Smoked on the UDS running around 270. I fired up the smoker for about 45 minutes prior to adding the meat and was getting thin blue by the time I loaded up the drum with meat. i set a timer for 30 minutes just to remind me to check the bacon. Timer went off headed outside to a ton of white smoke coming out of the smoker. Didnt think much of it came back and checked after another 30 minutes and still has a good bit of white smoke. Finished the cook after about antoher 10 minutes to let the sauce setup. I was looking to get the Brethrens opinion on where that smoke was coming from. Could it have been from all of the grease/fat dripping directly on the coals? Would a diffuser plate or drip pan made a differance?

Thanks Brethren
HOPTOAD

J-Rod
09-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Did you add any wood chunks during the cook?

Bludawg
09-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Sounds like the bacon drippings cooking off it just adds flavor I wouldn't concern my self to much as it is different than the billowing white smoke from a poorly managed fire. Weber gas grills operate on this principal with "Flavorizor Bars" IF weber don't have an issue you shouldn't either.

HOPTOAD
09-01-2012, 11:01 AM
J-Rod- No chunks were added during the cook, using k-blue w a chunck of cherry and apple.

Bludawg- Thanks man, helped put my mind at ease. they didnt taste bitter but I was concerned.

tpope
09-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Bludawg nailed it. Drippings and it's all good.

J-Rod
09-01-2012, 11:55 AM
J-Rod- No chunks were added during the cook, using k-blue w a chunck of cherry and apple.

Bludawg- Thanks man, helped put my mind at ease. they didnt taste bitter but I was concerned.

Cool man glad you got it figured out.

Rich Parker
09-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Like what was mentioned earlier the white smoke was caused by burning grease. Some folks call it extra flavor while your guests may not. I personally don't like the smell or the taste burning grease leaves on my meat, so i put a catch pan underneath the meat to catch the most of it.

yakdung
09-01-2012, 03:28 PM
It has been my experience that the white smoke is either steam/water (WSM), or fat from the product you are smoking.

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
09-01-2012, 05:43 PM
+1 on fat drippings.

WildmanWilson
09-02-2012, 12:48 AM
The same thing will happen when I cook burgers on the green egg. Too much grease and it does change the taste for the worse in my opinion. I like to use a drip pan with some water on greasy foods.

swamprb
09-02-2012, 05:46 AM
White smoke is normal when cooking with a Drum direct.

I use smaller charcoal rings than most folks around here, and the smaller size allows me to move it off center and place meats opposite or away from the direct heat so the fats are not dripping directly on the coals if I so desire.
Personally I absolutely love the flavor of the meats cooked direct on a Drum.