PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming weekend cooking - 11/11-11/13

chad
11-08-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm off Friday and have some buckboard bacon about ready to go. Anne's out of town Friday and Saturday so I need something to keep Joey and me occupied!!

I think I'll do a few pounds of jerky, too, since I have the seasoning and will be using the cooker anyway.

If I can find the sausage stuffing attachment for the Kitchen Aid I may grind up a pork butt that's in the freezer and give that a try -- if not that can wait until the next go around.

After cooking all last weekend you'd think I'd have it out of my system! :biggrin:

Jeff_in_KC
11-08-2005, 01:16 PM
I suppose I'll experiment with my first turkey to prep for Thanksgiving. Weather is supposed to be no cooler than the 60's for highs the next 10 days to two weeks.

brdbbq
11-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Tuff to plan that far ahead for me.

thillin
11-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Going to be my biggest cook on the Klose.

Got 2 8 lb pork butts, 2 8 lb briskets, Turkey boob, Jap/cheese deer sausage, stuffed chiles (chicken/cheese rellenos), ABTs, and I guess I'll throw on a fatty. My wife's parents b-day cellebration is Sat. Will cook Thursday night/Friday. Gotta love 3 day/4day work weeks.:cool:
Ty

Arlin_MacRae
11-08-2005, 01:50 PM
So far I've got fatties lined up, is all. Figure I might take Sunday and do those, some beans, and... <rolls dice> a chuck roast. Pulled beef intrigues me...

Smoker
11-08-2005, 02:09 PM
After seasoning the Bandera this past Sunday I'm looking forward to throwing a few racks of ribs in and seeing how it goes. I guess I'll throw a fatty or 2 just for the heck of it.

scottyd
11-08-2005, 02:09 PM
On friday I am going to do 200lbs of pork loins for a veterans day pork feed in downtown Huron. I am just cooking and slicing it. Another group will be serving the sandwiches. the proceeds go to the United way. This way the donations are spread though out the community for all to enjoy.

The Rest of the weekend to early to tell!

Ron_L
11-08-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm going to cook my buckboard bacon on either Thursday or Friday. I'm working from my home office on both days. Saturday is a college visit with my daughter and on Sunday I'm going to cook a 12 lb brisket to take with me to our corporate office in Virginia on Monday morning.

nmayeux
11-08-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm screwed as I have to work this weekend. But, good luck on your cooks, and I wish I was there!

chad
11-08-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm screwed as I have to work this weekend. But, good luck on your cooks, and I wish I was there!

Noah, you've been saying that a LOT lately! :biggrin: I sure hope things settle down for you. :-D

elvis67
11-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Iam going to cook a brisket and 3 or four fatties at my local pub I hang out at. Might make a batch opf my tater salad, everyone around here loves it. My ex showed me how to make it, she lived in Louisianna for awhile and showed me alot of different ways of cooking from down there. I think what is unique about this tater salad is that it has green olives in it and alot of crispy bacon.

nmayeux
11-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Noah, you've been saying that a LOT lately! :biggrin: I sure hope things settle down for you. :-D
Dave, I will probably be covered up until the end of the year.:sad: These damn hurricanes have killed us this year!:evil: However, the money has been pretty good.

MilitantSquatter
11-08-2005, 09:32 PM
It looks like it's gonna be sunny w/temps in the low/mid 40's on Long Island this weekend. I'm taking off on Friday and planning to do three racks of spareribs :eek: with three different rub combinations. I prefer babybacks but had the spares in the freezer and want to use them.

If my brother in law (teammate) comes over for the day, we may also practice some chicken as well. We have some different ideas about what we think is best and are trying to reach a consensus before we enter our first competition next year.

Brauma
11-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm going to take my first try at smoked salmon this wknd. Im planning on ordering a fillet from WA state overnight. I'm leaving for CT early Thurs mornig and not returning till Sat afternoon do I'm trying to arange the shipping now. Maybe have it shipped to arrive on Fri and wifey pop it in freezer till I get home. This may prove to be too complicated and I'll postpone for next wknd.

Jeff_in_KC
11-08-2005, 10:34 PM
After seasoning the Bandera this past Sunday I'm looking forward to throwing a few racks of ribs in and seeing how it goes. I guess I'll throw a fatty or 2 just for the heck of it.

"Just for the heck of it"???? It's danged near an obligation! :biggrin:

CarbonToe
11-09-2005, 07:11 AM
I'm visiting the relatives as it's my Dad's birthday.
No BBQ for me :(

Enjoy your cooks.

dxesmkr
11-09-2005, 08:17 PM
No Que for me either.Workin' fo the next two weekends.

Willy T.

Ron_L
11-10-2005, 06:21 PM
I got an early start on the weekend today... The actual weekend is tied up with family stuff, so I cooked by Buckboard Bacon this afternoon. It was in the fridge with Hi Mountain cure for 12 days. I took it out this morning, soaked it in cold water for two hours, dried it and let it sit and dry for an hour. Then I put it in my Cookshack with some apple wood and cooked it at 200 until it was 140 internal (about 4 hours). After it had cooled a little I wrapped it in a couple of layers of plastic wrap and put it back into the fridge. I'll slice it in the morning and try some!

Farking picture removed...

I also trimmed an 8 lb packer brisket and covered it liberally in Montreal Steak Seasoning, and that will go into the CS at about 9:00PM for an overnight cook. More on that tomorrow.

Kevin
11-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Ronnel, did you take lessons from Neil on picture posting?
LOL.

icemn62
11-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Finnaly put a fire to that new grill the complex installed. Nothing special, just grilled up some burgers, but it is nice to see every neighbor look outside to see what you are doing, then the men folk, all take out trash, step out for a smoke, or some other reason to come outside. had one guy look at my chimney starter and ask about 10 questions as to what it is, and what it does.

Did the burgers what some shredded mozzeralla in the middle, my grandson likes it, waiting to see how the rest of the family likes em. Son in law never had these before. I would take pics, but the camera needs batteries.

Kevin
11-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Good on you icmn62, OK, Gary., Man this laptop takes some gettin used to. Can't type for chit.,

Ron_L
11-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Ronnel, did you take lessons from Neil on picture posting?
LOL.

Why... Is something wrong with the picture? It shows up fine for me...

thillin
11-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Why... Is something wrong with the picture? It shows up fine for me...

I see red X

Jeff_in_KC
11-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Red X here too, Ron...

Ron_L
11-10-2005, 10:52 PM
OK... I deleted the farking picture. I'm done with posting pictures...

thillin
11-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Threw 2 7lb butts and a small 5lb choice angus packer at 7:30am. Smallest packer I've seen. Injected butts and covered everything with some Grub Rub. Chili rellenos and ABTs will go on later.

Ty

qman
11-11-2005, 09:12 AM
I have 2 3# veal breasts rubbed and resting in the fridge now, will smoke them tomorrow, along with a couple of fatties, a chunk of cure 81 ham, and maye some baby back's-if I let my wife talk me into it.

I did not cook outside last night, but here is an idea of what we had for dinner.
Pulled pork, from the freezer, heated up and piled on a grilled portobello cap [ok, I DID grill the mushrooms outside], topped with cheddar cheese and green onions and run under the broiler till bubbly.

Neil
11-11-2005, 11:48 AM
OK... I deleted the farking picture. I'm done with posting pictures...

I no longer feel all alone!

Neil
11-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Steaks tonight. Other than that I haven't thought about it yet. It will have to be Sunday what ever it might be. Taking a break on tailgating this week, just going to walk around campus before the game and have a stadium dog for a change.

Ron_L
11-11-2005, 11:54 AM
I no longer feel all alone!

We can start our own support group. :grin:

www.Icantpostafarkingpicture.com (http://www.Icantpostafarkingpicture.com) :biggrin:

Ron_L
11-11-2005, 12:36 PM
OK... I'm going to try again... I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment...

Here's the buckboard bacon picture from last night...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_0794.jpg

And here is the brisket that cooked overnight. I pulled it at 192 internal.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_0796-2.jpg

icemn62
11-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Okay, now I am hungry and have 1.5 hours to go before lunch. I was feeling good about my lunch, was gonna have the extra burger I made yesterday, but now....I am crying :cry: .

ulikadawgs
11-11-2005, 01:37 PM
This weekend is going to be 2 butts and some spareribs and a fattie or 2

qman
11-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Hey Ron, the Buckboard bacon and the briskit both look excellent.

Ron_L
11-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm on a roll with pictures, so here's the Buckboard Bacon after slicing!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Ron_L/IMG_0799.jpg

I fried up a couple of slices to taste. Good stuff! A little salty, but I like salty! Id looks and tastes more like ham than bacon, but it is still good!

scottyd
11-12-2005, 07:52 AM
That buck board bacon looks good.

VitaminQ
11-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Farkin rain forecast made me have to put the smoker in the garage. But it's fired up and I've got two pounds of jerky cookin' at about 200 degrees. Cured it with HiMountain jerky cure, and I am so looking forward to it. I've got a few turkey legs and a couple of chuck roasts to throw on later. And a maple fatty, natch!

chad
11-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Well, the buckboard bacon is in my large cooker (I can't help it. It takes even less watching that the WSM for this kind of cooking). Gas burner going for the "without smoke" phase but a chimney of Kingsford is lit and the charcoal basket is ready to go in a few minutes. I covered it with turbinado sugar prior to putting it in the 150 degree cooker.

icemn62
11-12-2005, 01:48 PM
One way or another your are going to get your cook jones fixed today. Hope the garge door is open while you are cooking.

VitaminQ
11-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes- garage door is open and the jones is being fed. Got the cooker just barely inside so it stays dry when the heavens open up, and I've got a fan to pull the smoke outside. It's working pretty well, all things considered. I just pulled the jerky off and it's farkin fantastic!

chad
11-12-2005, 02:34 PM
I was going to do some High Mountain jerky, too. But I missed the 24 hour window for curing - I just had a brain fart yesterday and didn't get it rubbed down. I just put the top round in the freezer and will try again next weekend.

chad
11-12-2005, 03:28 PM
I see that some of my northern brothers are having cool-cold weather and even some snow.

I'm cooking the buckboard bacon out in the front of the house (the cooker is next to the driveway while sitting in my folding chair in the garage. Eating Texamoa peanuts and throwing the shells into the mulch around one of the gardenia bushes.

Blue skies, 80-ish degrees, I'm wearing a tank top, shorts, and flip-flops (no socks!) and the shirt is on only because I had to go to Lowe's earlier. So, I'm feeling for you guys.

brdbbq
11-12-2005, 03:53 PM
I hope you have Drawers on.

icemn62
11-12-2005, 04:46 PM
It is only 72 degrees here, but I feel you Dave, if I were not at work I too would be roaming the house in short and tank top. shoes would be for the walk across the street to the store for more beer.

At least the wife is supposed to be getting some steaks for dinner tonight, I really hate wasting time here at work on the weekends. I have been finished since 10:00AM, and gotta keep time until 5:00pm. The company could save so much money if they would let us come in, do what needs to be done, then go home.

chad
11-12-2005, 05:16 PM
I hope you have Drawers on.

Why? :twisted:

brdbbq
11-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Why? :twisted:

Don't want Laundry marks on the Bermuda's do we ?

nmayeux
11-12-2005, 06:59 PM
I see that some of my northern brothers are having cool-cold weather and even some snow.

I'm cooking the buckboard bacon out in the front of the house (the cooker is next to the driveway while sitting in my folding chair in the garage. Eating Texamoa peanuts and throwing the shells into the mulch around one of the gardenia bushes.

Blue skies, 80-ish degrees, I'm wearing a tank top, shorts, and flip-flops (no socks!) and the shirt is on only because I had to go to Lowe's earlier. So, I'm feeling for you guys.

Man boobs on display:eek: !

VitaminQ
11-12-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm pleased to report that everything I cooked today turned out well, even though I had trouble keeping temps down this morning when I was doing the jerky, then more trouble keeping them up after I put the roast and turkey legs on this afternoon. The fatty, as you can see, had been heavily sampled by the time the picture was taken. Those are chuck roasts, BTW- one is headed for the chili pot tomorrow, and the other will be dinner some time this week.

BrooklynQ
11-12-2005, 11:40 PM
****. It's 11:48 pm NY time and you just made me real real hungry!

Smoker
11-13-2005, 12:31 AM
****. It's 11:48 pm NY time and you just made me real real hungry!

12:33am here now. I just finished rubbing 3 racks of baby backs and some chicken. I was a little hungry. After seeing those pics I'm very hungry now. Now I'm farked. I got to put down the laptop, get out of bed and find something to eat.

VitaminQ
11-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Forgot to mention this-- I brined the turkey legs for a couple of hours, just because I'd never brined anything before. I threw a handful of whole peppercorns into the brine, nad a few of them were stuck to the turkey when I took it out to cook. I left them on, and they roasted while the legs cooked. They were fantastic! Nothing I'd want to eat an entire handful of, but they had a really nice fruity crunch. I was surprised.

Aeynghus
11-13-2005, 12:43 PM
5 lb butt, yardbird, couple lbs of polish sausage, some brats, and a couple of fatties. Just coolered the butt. Going to eat while I watch the Bucs destroy the most hated Redskins.

Jeff_in_KC
11-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Looks great, Shohn!

Unfortunately for me, the turkey I purchased on Wednesday is STILL about 75% frozen and thus I'm not cooking this weekend! Gotta be sure to get the practice bird in one evening this week or next weekend! Don't want my first one to be the family bird on Thanksgiving!

Any suggestions for thawing a rock hard bird more quickly but still keeping it safe? This is ridiculous! I even turned the temp in the garage fridge way up. This is the same fridge that farkin' froze my competition lettuce before the Harrisonville contest!

MilitantSquatter
11-13-2005, 08:13 PM
I made my two racks of spares today. I was not too pleased with the results...They were a bit overcooked - read that as they fell right off the bone, and slightly dry. Good smoke flavor though...

I had them in for almost approx. 5 hrs and temp was fairly consistent around 225-235 with a few highs and lows in between.

Question : Is it possible that when you trim the spares St. Louis Style that the cooking time should more closely resemble that needed for baby backs ?

qman
11-13-2005, 08:35 PM
I made my two racks of spares today. I was not too pleased with the results...They were a bit overcooked - read that as they fell right off the bone, and slightly dry. Good smoke flavor though...

I had them in for almost approx. 5 hrs and temp was fairly consistent around 225-235 with a few highs and lows in between.

Question : Is it possible that when you trim the spares St. Louis Style that the cooking time should more closely resemble that needed for baby backs ?
Vinny, I just got through eating a couple of slabs of St. Louis cut ribs(not alone). They cooked 2 1/2 hours, then 2 hours in foil, then 1 hour back in smoke chamber, with sauce to glaze. They were perfect- did not fall off bone, but separated cleanly when tugged. Smoker ran at 235-245 consistently. I must be a better cook than you:razz: Just kidding, I think a lot has to do with the luck of the draw in buying ribs.

Ron_L
11-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Remember that brisket I cooked on Friday? I wrapped it in several layers of plastic wrap, stuck it in a couple of zip bags, and then stuck it in the fridge. Then, this morning, I put it in a cooler with lots of blue ice packs and brought it to the Washington, DC area with me. We just sliced it and reheated it in the microwave (all we have at the office) and it is just incredible! The whole office smells like BBQ, the boss made a beer run and we're in Q heaven!

The_Kapn
11-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Remember that brisket I cooked on Friday? I wrapped it in several layers of plastic wrap, stuck it in a couple of zip bags, and then stuck it in the fridge. Then, this morning, I put it in a cooler with lots of blue ice packs and brought it to the Washington, DC area with me. We just sliced it and reheated it in the microwave (all we have at the office) and it is just incredible! The whole office smells like BBQ, the boss made a beer run and we're in Q heaven!

I just love it when a plan comes together http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Great Job Ron!!!

TIM

VitaminQ
11-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Ron, you're livin' the good life, my friend!

rbinms33
11-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately for me, the turkey I purchased on Wednesday is STILL about 75% frozen and thus I'm not cooking this weekend! Gotta be sure to get the practice bird in one evening this week or next weekend! Don't want my first one to be the family bird on Thanksgiving!

Any suggestions for thawing a rock hard bird more quickly but still keeping it safe? This is ridiculous! I even turned the temp in the garage fridge way up. This is the same fridge that farkin' froze my competition lettuce before the Harrisonville contest!

What weight is that bird, Jeff? Usually, the 12 pounders will thaw in about 4 days. Those 20+ lb beasts usually take a week to week and a half.

As far as a quick method to thaw, somebody posted this technique one time but I can't remember who. Put the turkey (unwrapped) in a clean 5 gal bucket or other suitable size container. Fill the container with cool (not cold) water but instead of letting it just set in it, leave the water trickling so the water doesn't get ice cold from the bird. Just make sure you keep checking on it. And don't forget to take that little sack with the neck, liver and gizzards out. I've left them in while deep frying and they don't fare too well.

icemn62
11-15-2005, 09:20 PM
I just did some chicken thighs and drumsticks. I used Jeff's method this time, and for the 1st time, my chicken pieces are good. A few more practice runs, and I my actually like cooking chicken. Thanks Jeff, the family is forever in your debt.

icemn62
11-15-2005, 09:22 PM
The whole office smells like BBQ, the boss made a beer run and we're in Q heaven!

Is there any room for new employees at your job? I would love to work in Q heaven

spicewine
11-15-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm supposed to be on Vacation from Q Heaven but I just haven't been able to stop my self from dropping in every day to see what's going on!!

My staff is more than capible of running the place for weeks while I am gone, but I just can't help myself!!! I Love This Job!!