PDA

View Full Version : First HNF Brisket

kev2lz
08-24-2012, 04:34 PM
I gotta admit, I'm a little scared. I started a 13 lb'er at 9:30 this morning..2 hours of 225 - 250 and the last 5 hours between 300 and 325. 7 hours in and its at 185, so almost time to start poking it.

Pr0n to follow..just needed some comfort! :pray:

TheBear
08-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Breathe in. Breathe out. Looking fed to your results

El Ropo
08-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track. :thumb:

Chef Jim
08-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Why the temp changes? Was this on purpose or did your cooker decide for you? Forgot to add, you're from Texas. Brisket should be in your blood.

kev2lz
08-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Why the temp changes? Was this on purpose or did your cooker decide for you? Forgot to add, you're from Texas. Brisket should be in your blood.

I started low and slow to develop a good smoke ring, then cranked her up to get the job done. As for the temperature ranges, I'm going between the cabinet thermometer and my iGrill which is using a meat probe for ambient (ordered an ambient probe from the iGrill folks almost a month ago and am still waiting for them to get one in stock and ship the darned thing). I estimate that the past 5.5 hours has been right around 320.

I just went and probed..the point is like butter, but here is still some resistance in parts of the flat. The smoke shall go on! :flame:

El Ropo
08-24-2012, 05:12 PM
The low to high cooking temp is a great strategy go get nice smoke flavor and smoke ring, and have a shorter overall cook time. Been doing my cooks like this for a couple years now.

You get all the benefit of a low n slow, with faster cook time and better fat rendering of a hot n fast.

I know some people will argue the fat rendering point, but I've proven it to myself over and over.

kev2lz
08-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Finally out of the smoker.

I forgot to mention that this is my first brisket cooked with TBS too. I keep learning stuff around here!

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
08-24-2012, 06:49 PM
More pics! You're such a brisket tease!

Chef Jim
08-24-2012, 07:16 PM
The low to high cooking temp is a great strategy go get nice smoke flavor and smoke ring, and have a shorter overall cook time. Been doing my cooks like this for a couple years now.

You get all the benefit of a low n slow, with faster cook time and better fat rendering of a hot n fast.

I know some people will argue the fat rendering point, but I've proven it to myself over and over.

I understand the smoke ring. I lived in Texas 3 yrs. But, I am still not a fan of hot and fast for brisket. Yea, I know some think it's better, but some things are better left alone. Y'all want to take the fun out of smokin.

billham
08-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Looks great can't wait to see slices.

kev2lz
08-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Point off...

Sliced...

Slices probably gave it away; the flat is too dry and didn't have as much smoke flavor as I would like (used mesquite and pecan....TX and all that). Ah well, we'll chop it for sandwiches and try again another weekend.

JS-TX
08-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Flat does look a little dry. Was it a select or non-graded brisket? Choice or better helps but doesn't guarantee a good result. I think foiling may have helped. You can add some beef broth with a little worchestire to the slices to help. Watcha got to lose?

El Ropo
08-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Too bad, a tad too far. But I bet the point is delish.

Boshizzle
08-24-2012, 08:04 PM
It has nice bark and a great smoke ring!

kev2lz
08-24-2012, 08:29 PM
It was a select....couldn't find a choice when I was shopping around. It will get eaten. :)

caliking
08-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Strong work bro!

Don't worry - you're not alone. The first brisket I ever did was HNF and turned out pretty good. Ran the drum at 350+, foiled at IT of 165, pulled it and thre it in the cooler when the IT hit ~200. Didn't know what a point or a flat was at the time, so just sliced and ate the thing. The flat was soft and tender but not drippy juicy. Didn't have the jiggle that I have seen with some folks' juicy brisket.

Next 2 attempts yielded briskets similar to yours except they were down low and slow, no foil. My conclusion is that I will try the next one with foil, but jury is still out whether it will be HNF or low and slow.

Good luck with the next one!