PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy Pig Rub for a Nekked Fatty?

BettysNephew
08-24-2012, 04:05 PM
I have the DP Sampler pack and wonder if someone could suggest one of those rubs for my first fattie. I have looked around my local stores and cannot locate the cherry flavored rub that seems popular. Going to cook for breakfast tomorrow morning. BTW it is on Jimmy Dean Sage. Thanks for your help.

cpw
08-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Any rub is good on a naked fatty. Pick one that you like the taste of and rub it up!

Ron_L
08-24-2012, 04:42 PM
I prefer JD Sage without a rub at all, but if you have Pineapple Head in that sampler, it's a very nice rub on any pork.

BettysNephew
08-24-2012, 05:57 PM
I prefer JD Sage without a rub at all, but if you have Pineapple Head in that sampler, it's a very nice rub on any pork.

Pineapple Head it will be. And Thank You to one of the Royalty in the World of Fatties.

El Ropo
08-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Since most sausage is high in sodium, I'd look for a rub that's low sodium.

BettysNephew
08-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Since most sausage is high in sodium, I'd look for a rub that's low sodium.

One of the DP Rubs claim to fame is low salt content, which is why I bought the sampler. So far they have been very good, but I am just learning which flavor is good on which meats. This is my first fattie, so I was in unknown territory as to which I wanted to try. Thank you for your insight, I hadn't considered the sodium issue.

BGEMike
08-24-2012, 08:53 PM
All the DP rubs are good it just depends on you'r tastes, smell the sample packets you have and pick one you think you like it's all good.

landarc
08-24-2012, 10:02 PM
I use Dizzy Dust on fatties, I use the salt-free as the sausage has enough salt for me.

caliking
08-24-2012, 11:11 PM
One of the DP Rubs claim to fame is low salt content, which is why I bought the sampler. So far they have been very good, but I am just learning which flavor is good on which meats. This is my first fattie, so I was in unknown territory as to which I wanted to try. Thank you for your insight, I hadn't considered the sodium issue.

Re: low salt content, only 2 of them come in a low/no salt version, so keep that in mind. Taste the rub first to see how much salt it has.

BettysNephew
08-25-2012, 07:51 AM
You are correct about the low/no salt rubs. Their general claim is less salt than most other rubs. My mistake in the way I stated it, not their definition.

Big George's BBQ
08-25-2012, 09:36 AM
If looking for a cherry rub check out Simply Marvelous By Big Brother Smoke- I used it on a Bob Evans Maple Fattie- naked of course- was excellent