PDA

View Full Version : I know this sounds Un-American

Sawdustguy
11-06-2005, 09:42 PM
but the family has asked for BBQ this Thanksgiving. They don't want turkey, they want pork, brisket and ribs. The way I figure it, thanksgiving is the day where we get together and celebrate and thank the good lord for the blessings of health and happiness he has bestowed on our family in the past year. I figured we would celebrate with another American tradition.....BBQ. :biggrin:

MilitantSquatter
11-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Go for it !!! I'm eating Thanksgiving dinner at my in-laws and they are cooking the traditional turkey, stuffing etc...it's always good but the same old.....

If the weather holds up, I'm thinking of just doing 2 racks of ribs early that morning and taking it with us instead of a dessert....

nmayeux
11-06-2005, 09:52 PM
We just fry a turkey for an appitizer. Ham, prime rib, etc., are usually the main course.

Smoker
11-06-2005, 09:54 PM
MAN, THAT IS UNAMERICAN. I WILL NOT STAND FOR THAT. Um, what's your address and what time is dinner? Remember, I will not stand for that so make sure I have a chair.

Steve

rookiedad
11-06-2005, 09:58 PM
bbq it is i say! have a nice thanksgiving.
phil

qman
11-06-2005, 10:25 PM
My theory is that they only cooked turkey and all that stuff [outside, by the way], because they had not had time to get down and pick up their pit from Klose yet by the time Thanksgiving rolled around.:grin: :roll:

roknrandy
11-06-2005, 10:33 PM
I doing a fried turkey and a smoked turkey here, no oven for my birds ever again!!

Wayne
11-06-2005, 10:36 PM
My wife would not hear of BBQ for Thanksgiving. but then again I roast a pretty mean turkey. Sometimes I will also fix a smoked turkey, but she really does like the tradition. I will probably fix a turkey at work, a turkey at home and a turkey at my daughters house in the space of a week. For some reason my turkeys are better than most. The secret is to use a probe thermometer and stop cooking when the bird gets to 180 degrees. I actually pull it at about 170 to 175 and let it finish cooking to 180 by itself. They are so juicy and tender. I love BBQ but I also love traditionally roasted turkey.

CarbonToe
11-07-2005, 05:30 AM
Sounds very American!!

I watched a program on the UKFood channel where Britains voted on their fav 'outside' food and the results....in reverse order.......were........

5. Burger
4. Salad
3. Steak
2. Sausages
1. A Sandwich

Sometimes being part of the great British public isn't all that great!!

Solidkick
11-07-2005, 06:49 AM
We have the same problem, except it's a split vote........1/2 want traditional, 1/2 want BBQ.......so, traditional on Thursday. BBQ on Saturday....

Trout_man22
11-07-2005, 06:52 AM
Sounds Great to me, we never have a whole turkey on Thanksgiving wife hates it. Just ham and the rest of the fixings.

Arlin_MacRae
11-07-2005, 07:22 AM
I think giving thanks and feasting are the two main points of a Thanksgiving dinner, so if you pile a bunch of Q on the table instead of turkey - power to you.

kickassbbq
11-07-2005, 07:30 AM
I smoke so much all the time, I'll probably be smoking at Thanksgiving anyway. If someone wants Q, they got it. Besides, I keep about 30-40 lbs. of Pulled Pork and Pulled Beef in the freezer at all times.
So, it's Turkey, both smoked and deep fried and any type of Q someome may want.
Giving thanks that I can do this is what Thanksgiving is all about. If you got it, eat it.
Happy Holidays to All!!!!!!!!
Ed

frognot
11-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Ahhhh, Thanksgiving! Gonna try a smoked turkey this year.

BBQ for Thanksgiving reminds me of the Uncle Farker thread.

Neil
11-07-2005, 08:53 AM
The wifey and I are hosting Thanksgiving for the first time this year in our new home. I will be roasting the turkey on the Weber and the Bandera will be loaded with a whole bone in ham (see Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham thread) some ABT's, fatties, and a bottom round roast. We will have all the side fixings of a traditional Thanksgiving also.

Jeff_in_KC
11-07-2005, 09:07 AM
We're doing traditional on Thursday... Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked hame in the BSKD and a turkey in the WSM. My wife wants me to do Q for her whole family on Saturday. If it wasn't for her birthday being that weekend, I think I'd just tell her I'm not Qing the regular stuff (butt, brisket, ribs, chicken) for a couple of months. We had re-heated leftover brisket yesterday and I could barely eat it. I am Q'ed out on the typical "contest fare". I'm looking forward to the turkey and ham as a change of pace.

icemn62
11-07-2005, 11:23 AM
The way I see it, is that you will not be having the problem of left-overs everybody else will. Smoked a Turkey breast last year. Think this year is going to be traditional, going to mom-in-law's. Since she has been sick, wife is planning on ordering the traditional dinner from the local grocery store and picking it up on the way in. That way nobody gets worn out in doing the cooking.

Since I have to work the Friday after the holiday I will be smoking/grilling something that Saturday/Sunday, just hoping for a safe holiday for me and all.

rbinms33
11-07-2005, 12:00 PM
The way I figure it, thanksgiving is the day where we get together and celebrate and thank the good lord for the blessings of health and happiness he has bestowed on our family in the past year. I figured we would celebrate with another American tradition.....BBQ. :biggrin:

Amen, bro! It's all about spending time with family and friends. Of course, I have to cook up turkey because without the leftovers, I couldn't make up my turkey casserole and turkey salad the following week.

RichardF
11-07-2005, 01:18 PM
When I lived in S. Florida, I would go to a friend's parent's house in the Keys, and there was no turkey at all (or any land living animal for that matter), everything that was served was fresh-caught by friends and family, so we would typically eat lobster, grouper, stone crab, and dolphin. Most of which was grilled. As a treat, we'd often have smoked marlin, sailfish and Spanish mackerel. All of the smoking done by the host.

Over the last couple of years, I've been smoking two, 14 LB and down turkeys; one to serve at the meal and the other to carve for sandwiches and doggie-bags. After having played around with different size birds, I find the smaller the bird the more consistent I've been with my cooking.

CarbonToe
11-08-2005, 03:12 AM
I keep about 30-40 lbs. of Pulled Pork and Pulled Beef in the freezer at all times.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

scottyd
11-08-2005, 06:49 AM
oh smoked pork chops, prime rib, chicken, ribs, brisket and sweet potatos, green beans with the dehydrated onions and cream of mushroom soup,a roasted turkey, cranberrys, and lucky charms, caption crunch and wheaties. Its all american.

Qczar
11-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Though I don`t go the whole BBQ route when I do a 'Thanksgiving Turkey', I do throw a smoked Jap in the gravy with my roasted turkey drippings. Great gravy with the stuffing, potatoes as well as the bird. Gives the whole meal a hint of smoke and pepper flavor!

ggeilman
11-08-2005, 09:56 AM
We have a turkey in the freezer so will do the tradional thing. Not sure if i will have time to smoke it though. Nothing wrong with BBQ though!

brdbbq
11-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Looks like I will be frying 3 or more birds. The list keeps growing went from three of ud to ten as of last night. farking pool tables fault

rbinms33
11-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Looks like I will be frying 3 or more birds. The list keeps growing went from three of ud to ten as of last night. farking pool tables fault

I'm frying up 3 myself so far....I'm sure there will be more.

thillin
11-08-2005, 12:53 PM

Might as well start looking for a kegerator to go with the pool table. I went with a 4 foot mini fridge/freezer and hard liqour.

Since you will have the oil hot, throw in some cornish hens. Treat like a turkey. I'll let you know the time for the hens if interested.

Ty

chad
11-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Deep fried cornish game hens are great! The time to cook seems counter-intuitive - they take a lot longer than you would think for a 1.5 # bird! Good stuff, though.

BBQ_MAFIA
11-08-2005, 01:08 PM
We will have a traditional meal with the addition of Pasta as one of the starters and few Cannoli that will keep the Pumpkin Pie from becoming lonely.

No matter what the occasion, we always have some type of Pasta.

Guido

brdbbq
11-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Since you will have the oil hot, throw in some cornish hens. Treat like a turkey. I'll let you know the time for the hens if interested.

Ty

Interested.

Jeff_in_KC
11-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Deep fried cornish game hens are great! The time to cook seems counter-intuitive - they take a lot longer than you would think for a 1.5 # bird! Good stuff, though.

I've never had a cornish game hen. Do they taste like chicken? Seriously.

qman
11-08-2005, 07:29 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hey, CT, some of us consider a freezer full of bbq part of our retirement account.:grin:

ggeilman
11-09-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey I don't even have that in my retirement account. We had to clear ours out a couple of years ago when my wife had surgery.