PDA

View Full Version : Market Trimmed vs. Packer

Papa Legba
08-22-2012, 09:48 AM
I've been hearing more and more about cooking trimmed briskets lately and am going to give it a shot for the first time this weekend (I have only ever done Packers).

My question is this: can I use the market trimmed briskets from HEB (for those of you in TX) or would I be losing something vs. trimming a Packer myself?

Much appreciated

Cayman1
08-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Don't know anything about HEB, but I just cooked a flat from Sams yesterday. Came out great, except not as big a smoke ring as I would prefer, but I doubt this had anything to do with the brisket.

Bludawg
08-22-2012, 10:01 AM
My MA and Pa told me when I was a wee lad" son don't let a stranger play with your meat!"
Buy a packer and trim your own you'll save money and it puts you in control. Them HEB boys trim off to much( like all) and aint afraid to charge 5.49 lb+ for ungraded beef.

Hook'n Bull
08-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Get the packer at HEB. They charge way too much for their trimmed brisket.

El Ropo
08-22-2012, 12:23 PM
$2.18/lb for untrimmed packer with a chance of finding choice or CAB choice in the display case. $3.89/lb or more for over trimmed ungraded (below select) market trimmed.

I'd rather trim my own decent brisket than go for the overpriced dog food.

HEB by me has started to carry Meyer farms natural angus packers for $3.25/lb, and those look really nice. These are the same briskets that Franklin BBQ uses.

JS-TX
08-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Leave the market (over) trimmed briskets for the ladies making pot roast. Save your $ and trim it yourself. Like El Ropo said they may have choice or CAB to choose from.. no extra cost.

Charcoal_Addict
08-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Just don't try to buy a packer in Canada where it's 8 dollars a pound no matter what.

SmokeFan
08-24-2012, 08:15 AM
I've smoked these trimmed briskets from my local HEB a few times. The first time was one of their CAB Choice graded. It was on the small side, but came out really good.

The second time was with their ungraded trimmed, I smoked for a dinner party. It was not good. Seriously, I was thanking my stars I threw a pork butt in also. It was extremely tough.

Thinking it might have been technique, I tried another. And while it wasn't quite as bad, it was no where near the CAB I got from there. Since then, I just get the full packers at Costco, haven't been disappointed either. As a general rule, I just stay away from the ungraded stuff now.