PDA

View Full Version : Dijon Mustard for Mustard Slather?

gibbleDaddy
08-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi,

I talked extensively with a texas state champ on brisket (multiple times) and he said he uses dijon mustard in his slather. Anyone else do that here? Any brands come to mind?

thx,
gd

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-20-2012, 12:29 PM
I question if mustard slather actually adds anything to the taste profile. If that is the case, then good old-fashioned yeller mustard is much cheaper.

gibbleDaddy
08-20-2012, 12:37 PM
everyone i know who uses the mustard slather uses it for impact outside of taste: crust, tenderness (due to vinegar), etc. just wondering what mustard folks use and why.

thx

SirPorkaLot
08-20-2012, 12:42 PM
I have yet to find that using a mustard slather does anything to the meat, except waste mustard.

chagovatoloco
08-20-2012, 12:44 PM
I guess the only way to find out is to try......

el_matt
08-20-2012, 12:59 PM
I've used honey mustard, when I've been out of yellow mustard. There seemed to be a slightly sweeter taste to the end product. I'm not a big fan of dijon mustard, so I've never used it, and can't speak on it. As Chagovatoloco says, "I guess the only way to find out is to try......"

Go for it, and let us know what you think.

Matt

Gore
08-20-2012, 01:12 PM
I'm not a big fan of most mustards. Thankfully, there is little flavor left when they are used. The one thing I will use Dijon mustard on is an eye of round, cooked at low temperature to rarish, for the purpose of making sliced roast beef. I coat the mustard with black pepper. Yes, it forms a crust and yes the flavor remains, and yes, I don't mind Dijon mustard.

MS2SB
08-20-2012, 01:15 PM
I've used it to coat rack of lamb and pork chops which get grilled, but never used it as a slather for a long cook.

PitRow
08-20-2012, 01:38 PM
I tried it on a pork butt once when I ran out of regular mustard. Didn't notice any difference. I wouldn't do it again.

On second thought, maybe it wasn't dijon, I think it was actually the mustard with the whole seeds in it. Course ground, or whatever you call it.

mbshop
08-20-2012, 01:58 PM
we use regular yellow mustard on our briskets cuz of a bit of crust that we like and i do like the interaction with the meat. just try it and find out. no set rules. its popular around this area on tri tips. wife likes a thick coating but most use a thin coating.

Terry The Toad
08-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Yet another highly controversial topic. Who knew? :shock:

I use plain ol' yellow mustard; I think it adds to the bark. I cannot taste any mustard flavor, so I doubt it makes any difference what flavor it is.

indianagriller
08-20-2012, 05:01 PM
you guys makin corn dogs?:wacko: I havent found any real difference in slathering and not slathering, or what i slathered with...

thaberberger
08-20-2012, 05:06 PM
I agree with the nay-sayers. I've never noticed a flavor, crust, or anything when slathering with a mustard.

captndan
08-21-2012, 07:25 AM
I'll save my grey poop-on for something else.

bigabyte
08-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Cheap mustard only. It loses its flavor. Save the Dijon for making sauces and such.

I adamantly disagree that it brings a benefit to the crust.

If you must slather, use mayo (the real kind), and only sprinkle the rub on. That DOES affect bark...but I don't even do that.

If you want to bring flavor, do a marinade, brine or inject.

hankaye
08-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Howdy All;

Please forgive a new guy's question...

What's the reason behind either a mustard or mayo 'slather' ???
Is it just to help the rub 'hang-on' ?? Why not use olive oil or something else ???
Just askin' for to get my head around what's used for doin' whatever.

Thanks,

hank

rookiedad
08-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Howdy All;

Please forgive a new guy's question...

What's the reason behind either a mustard or mayo 'slather' ???
Is it just to help the rub 'hang-on' ?? Why not use olive oil or something else ???
Just askin' for to get my head around what's used for doin' whatever.

Thanks,

hank

i use other stuff sometimes. i've used an egg yolk, better than boullion soup stock, agave nectar and i think tomato paste might work nicely but i have yet to try it.

Tatoosh
08-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Try it and see. I tend to agree with bigabyte about using cheaper mustard unless you find the higher priced stuff appeals to your tastes. And remember, not everyone tastes stuff the same. Not only simple preferences, but physical differences in our taste buds mean that what we taste can be fundamentally different.

IamMadMan
08-26-2012, 01:55 AM
Here is a link you should review...

Bigabyte's science experiment (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62646)

BobM
08-26-2012, 04:05 AM
I've used mustard, and I think it's the vinegar that does it. Try a mop with apple cider and either apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar. Cream sherry has a great taste in a mop also.

Bob