PDA

View Full Version : First cook on new UDS

BriKW
08-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Seasoned UDS last week end for 7 hours...went for all the glory today and attempted a Boston butt for the first time ever on any smoker. It was a total success.

Prep started Friday night with a 9 pound Boston Butt. I slathered liberal amounts of yellow mustard on all sides, and decided I would go with Stubs rosemary ginger rub. I made sure to not go sparingly with the rub. Wrapped in foil and tossed in the fridge to marinade.

Started the UDS at 6:30 am saturday morning. Half a 18x9 charcoal basket full of kingsford blue, and three 3x10 inch sticks of maple. Started choaking drafts down at 200 degrees. Pluged two 3/4 inch holes, and shut 3/4 inch ball valve down about half. Temp settled in at 240 degrees. After white smoke cleared, I put the Boston butt on about 8:00 am. I promised to help my aunt move, so I left the drum to do its thing at about 8:15 am.

I was worried about the drum the whole time I was gone, but was able to returne at 11:45. You guessed it, drum was still cruising at 240 degrees. Impressive. At 12:00 noon I decided to pop the top and flip. Spritzed liberally with a mixture of apple cider, apple cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Put the top back on and to my surprise the temp did not spike. It just slowly climbed back to 240 degrees. WOW!!!

At 2:00 pm wind kicked up so temp climbed a little to 255 degrees, so I shut the valve down a little more. All though it didn't come back to 240 degrees, it did fall back to 250 degrees, and stayed rock solid through out the rest of the cook. Pulled Boston butt off at 4:15 when it hit 195 and wrapped in foil. Tossed back on UDS for one more hour. At 5:15 I pulled it off, and let it rest for 30 minutes. It fell apart, bark was nice and dark. Rub was perfect. Everyone said it was the most flavorful pulled pork they have ever had. I am one happy camper. Pretty happy with the performance, and the most fuel efficient cooker I've ever seen. I still have enough fuel for another cook. Total cook time was 9 hours.

Closed down all drafts and exhaust, and the thing went out like a candle.. 100% percent happy... This thing kicks butt...... Sorry no pictures, but it DID happen.

El Ropo
08-19-2012, 12:26 AM
Another satisfied customer. Sounds great.

BruceKWHP
08-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Take pics of your uds 'n post 'em!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

BriKW
08-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Brother snapped a couple pics... The way I watched the UDS all afternoon. From his perspective.. Mine looked similar..lol

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/BriKW/photo-4.jpg

Not very good picture, but he did get one of me pulling it...

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o626/BriKW/photo-3.jpg

Sorry but this was the best he Could do on a cell phone cam.

sparky'
08-19-2012, 01:29 AM
fantatic job. butt right off the bat. yu da man. :wink: you just gave me courage to try a butt on my new drum. try some chicken. i love chicken off my drum.

BobM
08-19-2012, 03:16 AM
:thumb:

BriKW
08-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Pulled pork seemed to taste better the second day.. Looks like I'll be doing another one labor day weekend.