PDA

View Full Version : Need a help n Ham

lemur
08-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Picked up a 5#, bone in, Olymel "smoked pork picnic shoulder". Label says "cook and serve"

About 1/3 of surface has skin\rind and most of the rest is thin fat cover or flesh exposed...

UDS seems to prefer 275° but is flexable :razz:

Ive never ever cooked a ham and Im getting conflicting web advice...skin on/off...up\down....internal temps....acidic/sweet glaze.

Ive got 12 hrs to make decsion(s) so Im lookin fer bretern advice I can trust.

IamMadMan
08-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Picked up a 5#, bone in, Olymel "smoked pork picnic shoulder". Label says "cook and serve"

About 1/3 of surface has skin\rind and most of the rest is thin fat cover or flesh exposed...

UDS seems to prefer 275° but is flexable :razz:

Ive never ever cooked a ham and Im getting conflicting web advice...skin on/off...up\down....internal temps....acidic/sweet glaze.

Ive got 12 hrs to make decsion(s) so Im lookin fer bretern advice I can trust.

Recipe for Dr. Chickens Double Smoked Ham (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/cookbook/viewrecipe.php?id=124)

Ron_L
08-18-2012, 10:42 PM
To me the Dr. chicken ham is too sweet, but lots of folks like it. I keep it simple and score the skin of the ham and cook it at 275 until it is 145 internal. Sometimes I out a glaze on it, sometime I don't.

captndan
08-19-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't glaze hams anymore. Too sweet for my taste. I inject them with OJ and apple juice combo and cook at 250 until 145 internal. I leave the fat and skin alone it makes that particular ham unique.