PDA

View Full Version : Pork Belly Pricing?

MS2SB
08-17-2012, 02:43 PM
I talked to my local butcher about ordering some pork belly for bacon and he quoted my $5/lb, with the added bonus that once I had cured and smoked I could bring it back in and he'd throw in on the slicer for me.

Does $5/lb seem a little high? And if so, is there anyone in the Seattle area who can recommend a place to pick up pork belly?

Rottie
08-17-2012, 02:59 PM
It would be cheaper to buy the pig, and find a different butcher to cut it up for you and package it. Sounds high to me !

MS2SB
08-17-2012, 03:34 PM
It would be cheaper to buy the pig, and find a different butcher to cut it up for you and package it. Sounds high to me !

I did that last year. Unfortunately its not an option for me this year. Though the cost of the 1/2 hog was not any cheaper than buying cuts from the supermarket.

aquablue22
08-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Yes, way high. I have a 100 dollars slicer that works just great for bacon

MS2SB
08-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Same price with or without slicing. Just something he offered to do. Great butcher shop and they have really good service. What's the price that you normally pay?

thirdeye
08-17-2012, 06:05 PM
We can get it in Denver for $2.40 to $3.00/lb with the skin on. The best deals are at the Oriental markets. My local guys have it closer to $4.00.

Bellies are getting like flat irons were a few years ago. They are featured in all kind of high end magazines, on TV etc. This combined with any shortage of feed will drive the prices higher.

plowin-fire
08-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Last one I bought was 2.99 per pound at my favorite locker...

speers90
08-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Go to Restaurant Depot and get a 50lb case of bellies for around $70 - $80 bucks. I just did this about a month ago and price was $1.48 a pound. You have to ask them though because they are frozen and not on the floor with the rest of the meat.

JazzyBadger
08-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I second Asian markets. 99 Ranch always has them, as well as Viet Hoa around here, and I've never seen it going for more than 2.99 a pound. Haven't been out that way in about a month though.

buccaneer
08-17-2012, 08:36 PM
I talked to my local butcher about ordering some pork belly for bacon and he quoted my $5/lb, with the added bonus that once I had cured and smoked I could bring it back in and he'd throw in on the slicer for me.

Does $5/lb seem a little high? And if so, is there anyone in the Seattle area who can recommend a place to pick up pork belly?
Irrelevant but cheap for here...I just wanted to help by saying that Asian butchers will only buy and butcher youngish sows whereas our Aussie butchers will take boars that have been neutered at an early age.
I cannot stand boarstain in my pork so I find Asian butchers have better and cheaper pork.
Sometimes I risk it, but if I can I hit the Asian butchers.
HTH

Tatoosh
08-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Okay, what is boarstain? Bacon is not hard to slice. The only challenge is finding a cheap slicer with enough travel. I have $79 Kaloric slicer and it goes through my bacon in a flash but I have to cut the bacon short enough to fit the tray. Kind of frustrating because sometimes I want nice, uniform, but long cuts, say for wrapping a fattie.

Cheap and works: Kalorik Downside - short travel and only one blade

The other thing is having 2 blades, one for meat and another for cheese. Not a big issue for me, but when I buy my next slicer (if I ever do): tray travel, strength, dual blades will be my primary buying points.

There are lots of good cheap slicers for doing bacon. I'd look around a bit, but buy one if you are doing much bacon. Really nice to pick your thickness and whack it out.

Lastly price of pork bellies in the Philippines: $2.38 a pound at the larger commercial supermarket meat department. Used to be $2.00 or under.

Woodmonkey
08-18-2012, 07:15 AM
I get it in Orlando Fl an an oriental grocery store $2.49 skin on, 4# pieces for bacon.