PDA

View Full Version : cosmetic damage to WSM help

bdadams84
08-14-2012, 05:55 PM
So just a few minutes ago I knock my WSM lid onto the pavement. The damage is limited to some scratches in the paint and to the top lid handle. Had to bend the lip out by hand just a bit to get it to fit onthe body again.

I'm planning to just touch up the scratches with some heat resistant Rustoleum. That is unless any brethren have any other suggestions?!

I'd be interested to hear any creative suggestions. My main goal is to prevent any possibility of rust and to maintain, as much as possible, the nice glossy finish of Weber's porcelain paint.

JazzyBadger
08-14-2012, 06:56 PM
How long have you had it? They might replace the farker under warranty. They're pretty good about stuff like that. Definitely worth the call, worst case scenario they tell you there's nothing they can do, then you handle it yourself.

bdadams84
08-14-2012, 07:23 PM
I've had it about two and a half years.

pigdog
08-14-2012, 08:02 PM
So just a few minutes ago I knock my WSM lid onto the pavement. The damage is limited to some scratches in the paint and to the top lid handle. Had to bend the lip out by hand just a bit to get it to fit onthe body again.

I'm planning to just touch up the scratches with some heat resistant Rustoleum. That is unless any brethren have any other suggestions?!

I'd be interested to hear any creative suggestions. My main goal is to prevent any possibility of rust and to maintain, as much as possible, the nice glossy finish of Weber's porcelain paint.

I did the same thing. Almost busted my handle off. Still pissed about that happening 2 months ago.

dfrelich
08-14-2012, 08:11 PM
You should be able to do high heat spray paint. Mask, scuff and clean. Then spray. Give it few hours then put the lid on high heat. While hot, you should be able flick out over-spray because the paint does not stick on porcelain paint very well. It will only stick on bare metal. Make sure you wear hot gloves to rub overspray out. Do it within few of the spray time. Don't let it sit few days.

I did that with my old grill and it worked like a charm.

bdadams84
08-14-2012, 08:39 PM
You should be able to do high heat spray paint. Mask, scuff and clean. Then spray. Give it few hours then put the lid on high heat. While hot, you should be able flick out over-spray because the paint does not stick on porcelain paint very well. It will only stick on bare metal. Make sure you wear hot gloves to rub overspray out. Do it within few of the spray time. Don't let it sit few days.

I did that with my old grill and it worked like a charm.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about heating it to remove over spray. I had sprayed a couple nicks I had on the rim of the bowl. When you say high heat do you mean setting it on a hot smoker or applying a direct heat source closer to the inside of the lid?

El Ropo
08-14-2012, 08:43 PM
I think he meant using spray paint that is designed for spraying onto bbqs.

http://www.thepaintstore.com/v/vspfiles/photos/K0162-2.jpg

bdadams84
08-14-2012, 08:52 PM
I did the same thing. Almost busted my handle off. Still pissed about that happening 2 months ago.

Yeah I was pretty ticked. Add to it that I almost knocked the chicken off the top rack when I realized it wasn't a true fit.

Were you able to salvage the lid? Sounds like you damage was at bit more extensive.

Here's what I was working on when I goofed the lid.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8426/7785340012_e3209ccd34_z.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryandadams/7785340012/sizes/z/in/photostream/

caseydog
08-14-2012, 08:57 PM
I have owned Weber kettles and smokers for almost 20 years. I still own my first one. Paint does not stick to them. You just have to learn to live with the scratches that are inevitable if you actually use your grills and smokers.

I have tried everything, and have just learned to accept my "battle scars."

Keep it clean, and keep the rust off, and live with the imperfections. No amount of paint will fix damage to a porcelain coated surface.

CD

bdadams84
08-14-2012, 09:13 PM
I have owned Weber kettles and smokers for almost 20 years. I still own my first one. Paint does not stick to them. You just have to learn to live with the scratches that are inevitable if you actually use your grills and smokers.

Keep it clean, and keep the rust off, and live with the imperfections. No amount of paint will fix damage to a porcelain coated surface.

CD

I did have some luck touching up the nicks to the fire bowl. Granted those two spots were scratched up pretty good. That was over a year ago and the paint is still good.

I will probably be stubborn and ignore your advice based upon your experience. Besides I already have the can of heat resistant pain and blue tape. If id doesn't stick it doesn't stick...

My stuff does actually get used and there are battle scars. The lid to my kettle is in worse shape, after a drop on concrete steps during our move last year. Luckily I dropped it so I didn't have to blame the friends our family that were helping us. I do need to clean it up as a spot or two of rust is starting to develop.

1911Ron
08-14-2012, 09:16 PM
On my two "rescues" they have battle scars. On both i put some vegetable oil and heated the grill up hot and seasoned it.

TurkeyLeg
08-14-2012, 09:27 PM
I feel your pain, the other day I knocked the lid off of my OTG. It was hanging on the side and I went to lift the cooking grate out and down went the lid onto my brick patio. Just some very small scratches, but they just kill me. It's only 2 months old. I guess it's like the first dings you get in a new car.

pigdog
08-14-2012, 09:37 PM
I just took some black spray paint I had, sprayed it onto a paper towel, and rubbed it on the scratches when I was cooking. It filled in the scratches, and now I just have to look at a handle that's barely hanging on by the weld and is sitting at a 45 degree angle.

bdadams84
08-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I feel your pain, the other day I knocked the lid off of my OTG. It was hanging on the side and I went to lift the cooking grate out and down went the lid onto my brick patio. Just some very small scratches, but they just kill me. It's only 2 months old. I guess it's like the first dings you get in a new car.

"First sings on a new car" I couldn't have said it better. It still works and won't stay new forever if you actually use it.

Fishawn
08-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Try Black nail polish..... I did a few years back on some that I didn't cook much on, or high heat, butt seemed to work OK, as I recall. A few coats, trying to keep the area to be filled in as level as possible & building it up after drying. The Black nail polish is assuming your kettle is Black in color. Don't let your wife know you bought it though, or even have it :mrgreen:

big brother smoke
08-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Try Black nail polish..... I did a few years back on some that I didn't cook much on, or high heat, butt seemed to work OK, as I recall. A few coats, trying to keep the area to be filled in as level as possible & building it up after drying. The Black nail polish is assuming your kettle is Black in color. Don't let your wife know you bought it though, or even have it :mrgreen:

Love to see you explain the polish, lol!

Fishawn
08-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Love to see you explain the polish, lol!

lol...... Yeah,..... uh...... ummm....... uhh...... cough..... I actually bought it to "paint" Salmon/Steelhead plugs (on a fishing trip in a town far, far away from my hometown :mrgreen:) & it was in one of my tackle boxes..... Red works also.... lol

VoodoChild
08-15-2012, 12:34 AM

CD

What He Said ...Since you use it it doesnt matter ..If it truley affected performance ,yes it would need attention .but cosmetics .. eh ! JMHO and it aint worth squat.

Ringburner
08-15-2012, 02:59 AM
That must have been a sickening sound when it hit the floor :-(

Sent from my GT-I9100

FashionBiff
08-15-2012, 09:50 AM
I am for vegi oil, sheat happens and will happen again. It sucks and we hate it but again stuff happnes. Sounds like a great reason to build a UDS and buy a new kettle :tongue:

bdadams84
08-15-2012, 06:26 PM
I understand stuff happens, I just want to prevent rust from making a cosmetic issue a functionality issue.

Happy Hapgood
08-15-2012, 08:05 PM
lol...... Yeah,..... uh...... ummm....... uhh...... cough..... I actually bought it to "paint" Salmon/Steelhead plugs (on a fishing trip in a town far, far away from my hometown :mrgreen:) & it was in one of my tackle boxes..... Red works also.... lol

Good Save Dude! I too know about lure building.

To the OP, I would be more concerned about the top being out of round. The rest are just battle scars.

bdadams84
08-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Good Save Dude! I too know about lure building.

To the OP, I would be more concerned about the top being out of round. The rest are just battle scars.

The slight out of round issue was quickly remedied by hand. It fits like new. If it's off at round at all it's less than 1/16th of an inch.

El Ropo
08-16-2012, 07:32 PM
How long have you had it? They might replace the farker under warranty. They're pretty good about stuff like that. Definitely worth the call, worst case scenario they tell you there's nothing they can do, then you handle it yourself.

So if I buy a new car, then drive face first into a cement bridge, I'm entitled to another new car? They gonna cover medical expenses too?

Woo!

dfrelich
08-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks. I hadn't thought about heating it to remove over spray. I had sprayed a couple nicks I had on the rim of the bowl. When you say high heat do you mean setting it on a hot smoker or applying a direct heat source closer to the inside of the lid?

Yes set it on high heat and rub out overspray.

dfrelich
08-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Yes set it on high heat and rub out overspray.

I meant put the lid back on as you normally would. High heat does it wonder. The paint will crumble on the porcelain paint. Then rub it off.

JazzyBadger
08-16-2012, 10:07 PM
So if I buy a new car, then drive face first into a cement bridge, I'm entitled to another new car? They gonna cover medical expenses too?

Woo!

I recommend you try it, and find out!

Edit: In all seriousness, the Weber warranty might actually cover such damage, whereas I don't believe a car would, as there's insurance to cover cars, much like phones. With my phone insurance, I can do exactly as you state, and get my phone replaced. Obviously it works differently for different things. This is the site I looked at for him, and as it did not specify what is or is not covered, I asked how long he had it. Since it's not rust or burn through yet, he's not covered under 10 years. Since he's had it for over two years, it was a moot point falling underneath "all other parts"

Arguably, in six years if he gets rust through, he might be able to get it replaced under warranty, lmao, but I wouldn't hedge my bets on it.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/faq.html#warranty
Q: How long is the warranty, and what's covered? A: The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker comes with the following warranty (current as of October, 2011):

Cooking grates/charcoal grate: 2 years
Bowl and lid against rust/burn-through: 10 years
Nylon handle: 10 years
All remaining parts: 2 years

El Ropo
08-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Droppin a weber lid on pavement isn't normal use. What if that was a BGE that toppled over due to poor handling?

Sure, any time you choose to toss your weber/bge over a cliff, we'll replace it free of charge. :flock::cop::pile::brick:

JazzyBadger
08-17-2012, 12:21 AM
I get you enjoy arguing semantics, but again I'll bring up that in their warranty, as on their own FAQ, they do not stipulate "normal wear and tear" or anything of the sort. Arguably taking a lid off of the cooker, as intended, and dropping it, accidentally, could be considered "normal tear" he didn't play frisbee with it, he didn't use it as a drum, he used it as a lid, and dropped it. That seems normal enough to me.

I also know that dropping a WSM over a cliff, and having the lid fall of the cooker is about as realistic a comparison as your first one. Neither comparison is even close to what he's talking about, or what I suggested he call about.

Also, isn't Weber the company that for years covered warranty on items people bought second hand? It's not like what I suggested is a stretch for them to cover, and unless you work for Weber, what more do you know than me in regards to what that 2 year warranty covers? I believe I stated, it doesn't hurt to call them, and find out what they say. Obviously it hurts YOU for whatever reason, but it doesn't hurt them, or the OP.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/

Having never owned a BGE, I searched their warranty information. According to their warranty, it does not cover breakage from dropping it. Looking for any information similar in regards to the WSM, I did not find any such specifications regarding dropping, which is again, why I suggested the OP call them.

As the BGE and the WSM are two different products made by two different companies, I think it's a safe bet to say that the warranties provided for a BGE are not necessarily the warranties provided for a WSM. Much like the warranty on my Braun Kitchen Machine is nothing close to the warranty on my Black & Decker mini chopper. Even though, they're both food processors.

bdadams84
08-20-2012, 05:24 PM
So I emailed Weber customer service. No definitive answer as of yet, but he did say that the paint won't usually ship under "normal use".

Meanwhile, I was going to touch it up this past Saturday, but my blue tape disappeared, and Sunday was just too wet.

luke duke
08-21-2012, 08:31 AM

Woo!

No need to be a dick. Weber has built a reputation for covering all types of things free of charge. There's a reason that people are willing to pay a premium for their products.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2176838&postcount=11

bdadams84
08-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Replacement under warranty is a no go. No real surprise but worth the try. Good to know that if the damage is bad enough a new lid can be ordered through the Weber 1-800#

Ringburner
08-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Did you ever get around to repairing it?

Sent from my GT-I9100

bdadams84
09-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Just fixed it up. The new paint sticks out. The closest I could get in the high heat paint was a semi-gloss. Not pretty but at least it won't rust.

Ringburner
09-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Would be interested to see a pic of repairs. .. If possible

Sent from my GT-I9100

bdadams84
09-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Pics well be up in a couple days. I actually missed a area of scratches about the size of a $.50 piece. So I have to touch that up. The paint seems to stick well to the porcelain. The real test will be when I cook for Sunday football!

GO TEXANS!!!

mobow
09-03-2012, 06:55 PM
My lid flew out of my truck at 70mph. Put a heck of a dent in it. Still functional but I wanted to replace it. $71.00, and weber gave me free shipping. Excellent customer service. Keith

bdadams84
09-04-2012, 07:49 PM
My lid flew out of my truck at 70mph. Put a heck of a dent in it. Still functional but I wanted to replace it. $71.00, and weber gave me free shipping. Excellent customer service. Keith

Was that a lid for a 22 or 18 wsm? That's not a terrible price especially when the damage gets to the point of effecting functionality. I can imagine the damage it took hitting the ground at 70mph.

Weber does have good customer service.