PDA

View Full Version : Can you stop and start a Butt?

writebrian
08-07-2012, 03:38 PM
I am serving a butt for friends on Saturday at someone else's house. I cannot bring my real smoker with me, but can bring my Old Smoky electric. I have to have it done by 3pm Saturday. I was wondering can I start it in my offset on Friday night for 4 hours or so and get that good genuine smoke ring and then finish it on site Saturday foiled in my Old Smoky electric for convenience sake. My Smoky does a great job cooking tender, but does NOT give me a real smoke flavor. Taste more 'oven cooked'.

My plan was to smoke for 4 hours on Friday night at my house in offset, wrap in foil and put in cooler, go to bed and put foiled butt in Old Smoky when I get to friends house on Saturday morning to finish off.

Thoughts...?

troytime
08-07-2012, 03:45 PM
no.

just smoke it overnight friday night so it's done in the morning. wrap it in foil and store it in a cooler to keep warm until 3pm.

writebrian
08-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Can't stay up all night Friday. My smoker needs tending every 3 hours or so.

Any way to make the Old Smoky 'smokier'?

Bludawg
08-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Put it on the pit for 3 hrs set the house oven to 220 and set the butt on the broiler pan and go to bed it should be done or close to it in the morning. Wrap it and stash in the cooler. No one but you will know the difference.

landarc
08-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Yes, you can cook a butt to just at the stall, then take it off and cool it as fast as possible. The refreigerate and cook it until done the next day. Do not cook it short of done on the first day though.

Once you have it to 160F internal the real trick is cooling it fast enough. Some folks will put it in an oven bag and plunge it into ice water. I prefer to cut it into 3 or 4 large chunks and let it cool on the counter. In terms of reheating, you can do it on the smoker, or cook in the oven at 325F up to 350F, it will still taste fine and get done plent fast as well.

writebrian
08-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Put it on the pit for 3 hrs set the house oven to 220 and set the butt on the broiler pan and go to bed it should be done or close to it in the morning. Wrap it and stash in the cooler. No one but you will know the difference.

That sounds like a plan. 220 in the oven should take how long on a 8lb butt? Same 1.5 hours a pound average as on the smoker.

Jethro608
08-07-2012, 05:28 PM
After you wrap in foil wrap in big towel then pack tight into small cooler. That thing will stay hot for hours. When you unwrap save juice & mix into your sauce reapply to pulled meat. Don't need all juice butt most

rogwadd
08-07-2012, 05:48 PM
At least. I've got a cheap oven thermometer on my kettle grate and a digital candy/oil thermo stuck down into the exhaust vent on top. I usually run about 250*. I can generally go without having to pull the lid off for the first few hours until I start spraying the thing and checking charcoal. I'm usually good for at least 10 hours before deciding whether I want to continue tending my fire and just finishing it in the oven. Seems like i run closer to 2 hrs/lb.

When I do finish in the oven, it seems to always take a bit more time than I anticipate. My cook on Saturday, I worked on running my kettle a little hotter...closer to 280*.

That sounds like a plan. 220 in the oven should take how long on a 8lb butt? Same 1.5 hours a pound average as on the smoker.

writebrian
08-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Do I need to foil the whole time in the oven? Any way to get the bark back after foiling?

rogwadd
08-07-2012, 10:06 PM
I've foiled quite a few times and have never had problems with losing bark after foiling

writebrian
08-07-2012, 10:46 PM
I've noticed it goes a little 'soft' on me. Still has flavor just not the slight crisp char I normally get.

snyper77
08-08-2012, 12:16 AM
No. Don't "stop-start". Smoke it for 4 hours - put it in your over at 190-200 degrees - let it ride all night - take it with you and put it in the electric unit and finish it off. I've done it before and it turned out GREAT!

writebrian
08-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Gentlemen... I think we have a plan. Thanks guys!!!!