PDA

View Full Version : i finally found the best knife sharpener for my money

LT72884
08-07-2012, 12:06 AM
You all know i have posted at least 4 times asking about knife sharpeners. After using 3 different 30-50$ range slide throughs, a very expensive chefs choice(120), i fionally found one that works AWESOMENESS. It is the presto 8810. 42$ on amazon. It is a three stage professional sharpener. Stage one takes ALOT of material off and is ONLY to be used for heavy damaged knives. Which i happened to have. 3 passes threw each stage(3 on each side so a total of 6 passes per stage) i have a razor sharp edge. I was able to take a 5mm thin slice of tomato, hold it verticaly,not laying on its face, and slice a paper thin tomato slice from it with out smashing the tomato.

By far the best i have used. You can get the 2 stage 8800 but it is only stage one(the one that eats metal) and stage 2 which does put a nice edge on it, but for an extra 8$ get the third stage which finishes the edge nicely.

here are some pics. It has 3 adjustable grades. Thick knives,Medium and thin. It can sharpen santuku knives as well.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/LT72884/IMAG0121-1.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/LT72884/IMAG0125-1.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/LT72884/IMAG0124-1.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/LT72884/IMAG0125-1.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk186/LT72884/IMAG0122-1.jpg

Amazon.com: presto 8810

I hope this helps others as well. The knife that was heavily damaged, was one i got for 50 cents at a thrift store. it is a way nice knife. i originally sharpened it on a bench grinder. so it was chipped to he!! and back.. But now, look at what it can do with ease.

Thanks for lookin

landarc
08-07-2012, 12:10 AM
You wear lacier clothes than I expected LT

caliking
08-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info - I've been looking for a good knife sharpener as well.

LT72884
08-07-2012, 12:29 AM
You wear lacier clothes than I expected LT

shhh, thats a secret. Wife doesnt know...

lol

LT72884
08-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info - I've been looking for a good knife sharpener as well.

you are very welcome. i love it. I have tried tons of sharpeners and this one fits me. Now, im not bashing the wet stones and other systems such as wicked edge. I would LOVE one of those BUT being a full time engineering student who is married. This one is PERFECT for the price and im extremely happy with the razor sharp results. Chicken slices like butta. There is a review on amazon where the guy reviews his every year. Sop far he has had it 5 years. He works in a professional kitchen and this is what he uses.

HIGHLY recomend it.

Devil Dave
08-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Sounds like something, I could use, Thxs fot the info
DD

jmoney7269
08-07-2012, 01:39 AM
I have $5-250 knives and each serves it's own purpose, I have a plethora of victorinox fibrox, cutco, wustof, Chicago cutlery, and even some cheapie NSF blades. I have the cuisinart 1520 and use a honing steel after every use. Any knife I use with this 1520 I can not only slice Paper with, I can shave my arm with. I know it's not in the same price range, but how would you compare the two? For readers Purposes?

LT72884
08-07-2012, 02:48 AM
I have $5-250 knives and each serves it's own purpose, I have a plethora of victorinox fibrox, cutco, wustof, Chicago cutlery, and even some cheapie NSF blades. I have the cuisinart 1520 and use a honing steel after every use. Any knife I use with this 1520 I can not only slice Paper with, I can shave my arm with. I know it's not in the same price range, but how would you compare the two? For readers Purposes?

some of my knives are 100$ or so and this sharpener did a killer job on them. When i used my chefs choice 120,which i had for a year and took it back, the edge on my expensive knives couldnt cut a tomato without smashing it. I had to use alot more pressure than i wanted to to cut stuff. I gave the sharpener a year just to make sure it was not me. After sharpening them 8 times in a year, i had to take it back because it was not working for me. However, i did not have a honing steel at all. I have DMT diamond stones as well and used to use those all the time before the 120 was purchased. but this new electric presto i think is better than my DMT diamond stones.

I just had bad luck with my 120. I could slide the knife across my arm and nothing would happen. I was disappointed for 150$. Now this new one, it is very good at making my knives sharp. What i expected from my chefs choice 120 to do, is what i got from my presto. However, i have not tried the 1520 and i imagine it is superior to the 120 in many ways.

I wouldnt mind trying out a honing stone right after i sharpen it to see if it makes it more sharp by aligning the newly shaved edge. Which honing rod do you have? Do you use it RIGHT AFTER you sharpen or before?

tahnks

Trumpstylz
08-07-2012, 03:28 AM
I must be old fashioned. I'm still using a handled sharpener. I might as well be a caveman.

TonyT
08-07-2012, 06:04 AM
I'm with you trump. I use two japanese wetstones. We're both oldschool. I get fantastically sharp angles I haven't been able to get with electric sharpeners though.

Trumpstylz
08-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Yeah, I use an old fashioned sharpener. However, I also don't own any knives that cost three digits. If I did, maybe I would think differently. But old faithful should suffice until otherwise.

Teleking
08-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Yeah, I use an old fashioned sharpener. However, I also don't own any knives that cost three digits. If I did, maybe I would think differently. But old faithful should suffice until otherwise.

I do own several approaching the 3 digit range and would never subject them to such abuse. If you feel the need to sharpen 8 times a year, stop using them on the tin can. I touch mine on a steel as needed and hit the diamond stone maybe once a year.

Keep practicing on the stone because 8 times a year on that evil device will leave you with just a handle.

NorthwestBBQ
08-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Can you cut paper without any jagged edges?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7246/7463911954_ca8b1488f9_b.jpg

jmoney7269
08-07-2012, 07:29 AM
The honing steel I use is just a Henkels from bed bath and beyond.
Yes you can cut paper like buttah in the obvious dimension when holding it.

Ron_L
08-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Here is a working link to the sharpener on Amazon.

http://amzn.com/B000TYBWJ0

When linking from Amazon you have to click the Share link on the right hand side of the listing and then copy the Permalink in the window that pops up. That's the only link that is guaranteed to work.

J_Don
08-07-2012, 09:07 AM
I must be old fashioned. I'm still using a handled sharpener. I might as well be a caveman.
Good skill to have. Might come a day when there is no electricity.

MemphisTrey
08-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Good Info on the sharpener. i have been in the market for a new one, and i may have to look into this one

JazzyBadger
08-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Amazon.com: Chef's Choice M4623 Diamond Hone 3-Stage Manual Sharpener for Euro-American/Santoku/Serrated Knives: Kitchen & Dining

That's the one I have, it's worked nicely so far. Used it on an old Chef's Knife, and my pocket knife. My pocket knife is lethal now, at the very least. Chef's Knife wasn't too too bad, but it was getting to the point where tomatoes failed to impress.

lance0623
08-07-2012, 09:47 AM
I have the chef's choice, and mine works great. Yes, I can get a better edge with a stone - just not in the 5-10 seconds it takes. I do a lot of fishing, and when cleaning shark the skin dulls blades very quickly. Having this sharpener handy makes the job much, much easier.

However, the guy at the specialty kitchen store I go to is VERY excited about this new sharpener that just came out last month, it's an Edgeware 50353 and costs about $180. I know quite a bit about knives, steels, etc.; but he schools me every time I go in. He says that it does just as good a job as his $2000 professional sharpening machine because of the interlocking wheels combined with adjustable angle. My wife knows what to get me for Christmas :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83gDQit2Zhk

LT72884
08-07-2012, 01:28 PM
@ teleking. yeah the chefs choice was killing my knives. hence why i took it back. this new one i have is way better in my opinion than the 120. thats the only chefs choice i ever used. For 40$ i cant believe the edge i get. tomatos are nothing now, i can cut threw paper with no jagged edges, cuts hair pretty good. Im just impressed how well it works for 40$. does it sharpen like a 300$ wet stone, probably not. I could not afford the price of the stone and for some of my 100$ knives, this is perfect.

for the old school people, thats awesome. i wouldnt go electric at all. if i had the skill and money for a awesome wet stone and could hold an angle, then i so would have done that. But i couldnt hold an angle for the life of me on my dmt diamond stones haha.

thanks all.

willbird
08-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Well if this is spam, it worked, I ordered one, we will see :-). I had a friend who was once a meat cutter, he had 3 bench stones that he could clamp on the top of a Black and Decker workmate bench, he claimed the waist level and a firm mounting of the stone were key ingredients to be able to do a nice job.

I must admit that with a little bit of trying over the years, I never got good at sharpening knives by hand. Never had a knife sharpener of any kind either.

Bill

igolf2
08-10-2012, 04:13 PM
My presto 8810 arrived from Amazon yesterday and a short time later all my knives were very sharp!

Is it as good as my honing stone set? of course not and I will still use that for my favorite pocket knife and fillet knives.

But for cooking and slicing and dicing in the kitchen this thing is fantastic.

W00dButcher
08-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Something to consider when looking at the performance of your knives is the angles that they are sharpened to. Your traditional chef knife has a fairly blunt grind angle that is well suited for chopping. It also helps it to keep it's edge longer. Santiou knives have a steeper angle that gives them the ability to slice but chopping wears them out faster. A fillet knife is very similar.
When I am looking for a sharpener I wonder about the angle it grinds. Using wet stones any angle can be had but it takes some skill and practice to be consistant.
A knife doesn't need constant sharpening if it has decent quality steel and the proper grind for the job. All you need is a quick hone before use. Chefs do this before using to align the edge with the "steel". I am not comfortable with one yet so I just drag a couple times across the hone channel of mine.
That other sharpener is interesting if it can do multiple angles.