PDA

View Full Version : propane vs pellet Smoker?

Frog
08-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is a post that has been asked and answered before but i cant use my search option yet(gives and error for me to get approved) so i figured id post..

Im looking at 2 smokers i want to some what "up my game" i was looking at the Landmann 38" vertical (http://www.landmann-usa.com/OnlineStore/tabid/90/ProductID/602/Default.aspx)and i was looking at the Lil Tex Jr (http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/BBQ055) i can get both for about 250 so i was trying to decide which is better?.

Has anyone dealt with Propane and Pellet smokers that can give some input? which would you choose and why? advise? :)

The_Kapn
08-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I have a Lil Tex (070), not the Jr, and love it for what it is.

You would want the digital controller, probably.

The Jr is really small---be sure it has the capacity you need.
I would not care to have one smaller than my Lil Tex, but it might be OK for your use.

Can't help with the gas one.

TIM

IamMadMan
08-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is a post that has been asked and answered before but i cant use my search option yet(gives and error for me to get approved) so i figured id post..

Im looking at 2 smokers i want to some what "up my game" i was looking at the Landmann 38" vertical (http://www.landmann-usa.com/OnlineStore/tabid/90/ProductID/602/Default.aspx)and i was looking at the Lil Tex Jr (http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/BBQ055) i can get both for about 250 so i was trying to decide which is better?.

Has anyone dealt with Propane and Pellet smokers that can give some input? which would you choose and why? advise? :)

It all boils down to what you need and want, I have a stick burner, charcoal, refurbished pellet smoker, and a propane smoker.

What fits your needs for size of footprint?
What fits your needs for capacity?

I bought a propane smoker to use as an outside oven and for holding / warming of finished foods. Out of curiosity I have used it several times for overnight smoking.

While I would not replace my others with the propane smoker, I will say that it does a good job and could work as a good starter level smoker if used properly.

Once you graduate to a good smoker like a "Backwoods" or similar the propane smoker will make a good oven / warmer, or a back-up unit for a smoker fail.

Ron_L
08-06-2012, 02:15 PM
First, the built in search function is enabled with the basic level subscription. There is a Google search near the bottom of the page that searches just this site and isq available to everyone.

Second, the main difference between gas and pellet smokers is the heat source. A gas smoker uses gas for heat and then wood chips for smoke. A pellet smoker uses all wood pellets for both heat and smoke.

MS2SB
08-06-2012, 03:04 PM
I've got the lil Tex as well. It's an older version without the digital controller and I'm planning on buying an aftermarket control shortly as I find the high/med/low option a little limiting. I also am not sure that I would go any smaller than what I have, however if you're only cooking for a few people you may not need the extra capacity.

jasonjax
08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
IMHO good pellet grills are a superior technology to gas. This is based purely on my experience of having multiple gassers, charcoal smokers, charcoal grills, pellet grills, and pellet smokers etc.

The pellets add that extra something to the flavor even if subtle that makes a big difference overall.

I believe pellet cookers will become ubiquitous as the firebox, auger, controller technologies continue to evolve.

Frog
08-06-2012, 04:00 PM
First, the built in search function is enabled with the basic level subscription. There is a Google search near the bottom of the page that searches just this site and isq available to everyone.

Second, the main difference between gas and pellet smokers is the heat source. A gas smoker uses gas for heat and then wood chips for smoke. A pellet smoker uses all wood pellets for both heat and smoke.

I Apologize i thought that was a Google ad so i never used it. I used the Form Drop down menu and clicked the "search forums" option and that's the one that gave me an error.

Teamfour
08-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I have a propane that I use for turkeys and when I want to smoke a couple of hundred ABTs. They have their uses. Remember propane cookers are not allowed in comp.

Frog
08-06-2012, 05:46 PM
It all boils down to what you need and want, I have a stick burner, charcoal, refurbished pellet smoker, and a propane smoker.

What fits your needs for size of footprint?
What fits your needs for capacity?

I bought a propane smoker to use as an outside oven and for holding / warming of finished foods. Out of curiosity I have used it several times for overnight smoking.

While I would not replace my others with the propane smoker, I will say that it does a good job and could work as a good starter level smoker if used properly.

Once you graduate to a good smoker like a "Backwoods" or similar the propane smoker will make a good oven / warmer, or a back-up unit for a smoker fail.

I dont exactly know how big i need to be honest. I have that brinkmann smoke'n'grill right now and thats enough space as long as i use a rib rack just i hate having to take off the top rack of food just to get to the bottom rack, most of the time ill only cook a few racks of ribs.. i do want to start experimenting with a brisket and porkbutts. in my house there is only a total of 4 of us. once in a while if i go camping ill feed more people but that's once in a while.. i do want to partake in a comp and see how i do so i was leaning towards the lil tex jr (since from what i read you cant use propane). i want the reg lil tex but i dont have 700 sitting around for my new toy :(.

Frog
08-07-2012, 02:21 AM
i just realized my recent Credit Card is 0% for 15 months :-D.. now im thinking of splurging on a gift for my self... Question is Traeger lil Tex or the GMG Daniel Boone? they are both about the same cost

Trumpstylz
08-07-2012, 02:56 AM
were it my $$, i would without a doubt go with the pellet pooper.