PDA

View Full Version : Need Pork Shot Help

Terry The Toad
08-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Howdy folks,

I made some pork shots over the weekend. (Sorry, no pr0n... they were not pr0n-worthy.)

They were pretty simple. I sliced the kielbasa into rounds, wrapped each in a half-slice of bacon, and put about 3/4 teaspoon (MOL) of brown sugar in the "cup" of each one. I then cooked them for 90 minutes at 300 (on the Lang.) (Full disclaimer: I cooked them on the firebox side.)

I liked the way the bacon turned out (nice and crispy), but the brown sugar liquefied, ran out into the pan, burned, and glued all my shots to the pan with a black crust. :sad:

What did I do wrong? Temp too hot? Time too long? Maybe I just need to keep them away from the firebox? :confused:

I've made them before at a lower temp without this happening, but the bacon was not quite crispy enough. Is there a happy medium?

Jaskew82
08-06-2012, 01:38 PM
You definitely burned the sugar. Are you sure your grate temp was accurate at 300? That is getting it really close to the burn point of brown sugar (I think 325 or 350).

If you want crispy bacon, maybe you can put the sugar in halfway through the cook so the bacon has enough time to crisp while only keeping the sugar in long enough to dissolve.