PDA

View Full Version : Would this work on a UDS

bagel51
08-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Okay let me start by saying I tend to overkill things.

I was wondering could you use a fan control system on a UDS? Instead of a manual valve? Has anyone ever tried it? Would it work?

Like to hear any thoughts on this.

Thanks

lionhrt
08-05-2012, 11:58 AM
You can but it would be overkill. on my UDS once the temp is set it is pretty much set for the cook.

Captain Dave
08-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Yep^^^^ A well built uds doesn't need that crap.

cheapbeer
08-05-2012, 12:36 PM
UDS Remote thermometer insert (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140712)
See this thread, it has a pic of a uds with a fan system installed.

HTGGUY
08-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I have the IQ110 on my uds, don't "need it", but sure makes for a better night of sleep on those over night cooks. Rhat with the maverick 732 help.

"Bone to Bark" BBQ
08-05-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a port on my UDS set up for a PartyQ,,,,, works fine for long overnights cooks, especially at comps.

rolfejr
08-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Don't need this "crap", but it sure looks cool!
And of course a good nights sleep.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-88XWI_P6BSo/T4a7srsnkRI/AAAAAAAACEY/A7_wISU35Pw/s640/IMG_1649.JPG

Zin
08-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Yep^^^^ A well built uds doesn't need that crap.

+1 nothing but crap...

Arg1129
08-05-2012, 05:05 PM
I am the same when it comes to overdoing things and also a tech geek. I got the DigiQ for my UDS and found it is totally overkill on any cook under 8 hours. I will say having it for the longer night cooks is nice. Needless to say I have not tried an overnight in the UDS without it. It may be just as easy without.

Ultimately I sold myself on it knowing that sooner or later I want an DL BGE or primo oval and it will work on one of those like a charm.

PS IMO, if your a tech geek like me, they are cool to tell your friends about, look awesom and do work. Also who cares, it is your UDS build, if you want to put a tampon dispenser on the thing you can, it's yours. Not that I'm advocating allowing a group of angry women be allowed near your UDS, that is a scary mix and possibly hazardous to your health.68931

retired trucker
08-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Quote by Arg "PS IMO, if your a tech geek like me, they are cool to tell your friends about, look awesom and do work. Also who cares, it is your UDS build, if you want to put a tampon dispenser on the thing you can, it's yours. Not that I'm advocating allowing a group of angry women be allowed near your UDS, that is a scary mix and possibly hazardous to your health."

:drama::drama: :loco:

razrbakcrzy
08-05-2012, 07:41 PM
I have a temp controller specifically an auber and would never go back. I can go from cold drum to sweet blue in under 30 minutes and be cooking at any exact temp from 120 -500 +\- 1 deg in 40 minutes for up to 16 hrs and anytime I want a different temp all I do is push a button and I'm there in a few minutes. if you want to call that crap go ahead I'll just say that is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard...

Jim Boston
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teamfour
08-05-2012, 07:59 PM
PartyQ on my UDS. Love it for long burns.

mytmouz
08-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I have the IQ110 on my uds, don't "need it", but sure makes for a better night of sleep on those over night cooks. Rhat with the maverick 732 help.
'Got the same stuff on my crappy built UDS...

yakdung
08-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Okay let me start by saying I tend to overkill things.

I was wondering could you use a fan control system on a UDS? Instead of a manual valve? Has anyone ever tried it? Would it work?

Like to hear any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Yep. My next UDS will be built in this fashion. It would be perfect for very long cook sessions. The wall thickness of a drum has less thermal mass and is more prone to temperature swings.

GreenDrake
08-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Absolutely. Have to put an elbow on my ball valve so the door on the fan can do it's job (the internal swing door in the air shaft). I am currently using my Stoker with a 5cfm fan with the BGE attachment on my KJ. I can run two pits with the Stoker so I have to figure out which of the attachments works best on my 1" valve and heck yes I am adding it. My UDS lays down outstanding smoke and yes they are incredibly stable for temps, but employing technology is my thing too.

Pappy
08-06-2012, 05:57 AM
I use a IQ110 on a UDS all the time. Just makes it easy for over night cooks.

willbird
08-06-2012, 09:21 AM
I have a temp controller specifically an auber and would never go back. I can go from cold drum to sweet blue in under 30 minutes and be cooking at any exact temp from 120 -500 +\- 1 deg in 40 minutes for up to 16 hrs and anytime I want a different temp all I do is push a button and I'm there in a few minutes. if you want to call that crap go ahead I'll just say that is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard...

Jim Boston
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put one in mine Saturday and I agree 100%. Not that I had run a blue million cooks without one, but I had to fiddle with the UDS every couple hours without one...temp would start to slide up, up, up, up, make an adj. slide down, down, down, make and adj, up, up, up.

I just went straight to the Auber, but my suspicion is tiny breezes change the natural draft...and then increased heat renders more fat, which creates more heat, which renders more fat, which.........:-). I think maybe a blower with a ball valve might run a lot more stable than natural draft. I DID notice that for some reason the plain old street Ells with magnets were more predictable than the ball valve, dunno WHY, but they are.

Maybe it is laziness, but to be able to on a whim just bump temp from 225 up to 250, or 243 if that number thrills me....is NICE :-).

I just posted my results with the Auber in a thread called "which temp controller"

Bill

Ashmont
08-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Member MARK has an old hairdryer mounted on his!