PDA

View Full Version : Which meat takes best to wood smoking?

Socks
08-04-2012, 01:16 PM
My wife hates the flavour of wood smoke, so I'm on my own when I add wood chunks. I've only tried a few times with chicken. Is there a specific meat that takes to the smoke the best? ie: if you had a bunch of BBQ to eat and only one of them was smoked with wood, which would it be?

dbq
08-04-2012, 01:35 PM
My GF says the same thing, but since I got off the hickory into a fruit woods, she hasn't complained about too much smoke. Apple seems to work good with chicken and pork for her, gonna try cherry next.

caseydog
08-04-2012, 02:04 PM
The more delicate the meat flavor, the more noticeable the smoke flavor will be. Chicken has a pretty delicate flavor, and personally don't like my chicken smoked, yet I do like smoked turkey. Go figure.

Size and surface area matter, too. If you slice open a pork but, and take a bite of the meat in the center, you'll find it has no smoke flavor. That's why pulling it works so well, since you are blending the internal meat with the external bark and smoke ring meat.

On the other hand, a brisket flat, sliced, gives you bark and smoke ring in every bite.

You could just smoke a butt, and when it is done, separate the center meat from the outer meat. You eat the outer meat, and she gets the inner meat. You have nice smokey flavor, and she won't have any smoke -- but both will be good.

CD

Sean "Puffy" Coals
08-04-2012, 02:07 PM
One type of meat that goes best with wood smoke flavor? Definitely pork. There's a wide variety of cuts available and all are good smoked: ham, shoulder, ribs, bacon, jowls, loin, tenderloin, chops, you can grind it up and make sausage and smoke that too.

If you're looking for a lot of good smoky flavor, I'd suggest doing a rack of pork spares or small shoulder butt. Spares benefit from having tons of surface area to soak up the smoke; butts give you great pork flavor from the light & dark meat mixed together plus the bark... MmMmmMmMm, bark.......pardon me while I salivate.

caseydog
08-04-2012, 02:17 PM
If you're looking for a lot of good smoky flavor,

Yeah, ribs really do pack a lot of smoke flavor per bite.

CD

Gadget
08-04-2012, 02:18 PM
I personally love Apple. Great for chicken and even Rib / B Butt. With the later two I throw in some Hickory too. Haven't used much Mesquite

Bludawg
08-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Get a new Girlfriend!:doh:

El Ropo
08-04-2012, 02:42 PM
It almost sounds like you're not getting a clean burn with your cooks. Does your SO talk about numb tongue?

Show us some pics of your food, it'll help determine what's up.

luke duke
08-04-2012, 02:54 PM
That sounds like grounds for a divorce.

jestridge
08-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Get rid of those charcoal brick things and use real wood coal most people don't like the taste of those charcoal briquetts thingy and never had taste real wood bbq, using a few small chunks of wood isn't really bbq flavor.

Myrdhyn
08-04-2012, 04:15 PM
wrap hers in foil the whole time, leave yours unwrapped. boom, both have bbq and to their preference :P

To answer your actual question: brisket.