PDA

View Full Version : local favorites

rookiedad
10-24-2005, 11:36 PM
i was hoping that some folks out west could tell me what a runza is, and maybe some people in the carolinas could clarify a storie i heard about people putting peanuts in soda and drinking it(them). i would be interested to hear about any other local specialties weather they be bbq related, side dishes or whatever. thanks.
phil

midnight
10-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Holy smokes! Have not had a Peanut Coke in a long time! Realy popular in the 60's and 70's. You take a bottle of Coke (has to be Coke) and pour in a handfull of salted peanuts (out of the shell). The salt makes the pop fizz like crazy, so be ready to suck foam! It kind of makes the pop go flat, the peanuts taste good but the pop tastes funny if your not used to it.

Up here we put green olives in our tap beer. Alot of people from out of state have told me they never heard of that before. Don't know what the point is, the olives float for a minute or two then sink to the bottom for another minute or two then float back up......kind of like a beer "lava lamp".

qman
10-25-2005, 06:21 AM
rookie

Not just the Carolina's. That Peanut Coke thing was/is pretty widespread throughout the South. Works like midnight said. Our technique--as kids-- was to go to the corner store, buy an icy cold coke [it does have to be Coke], drink a couple of good sips to make room, then add a small bag of Planter's Salted Peanuts. The salt changed the flavor of the Coke, as well as partially de-fizzing it, and the Coke flavored the peanuts.
We did it all the time as kids, and I have hooked all my grandkids on doing it-except for the youngest [1 1/2 years]. For some reason her mom won't let me feed her peanuts:shock:

Here is another farm kid thing we did for an after scool treat. Pour a couple of good tablespoons of cold heavy cream into a cold bottle of Coke. Instant coke float. Watch the foam!!

kcquer
10-25-2005, 07:16 AM
Peanuts in a Coke, a real childhood favorite of mine. Not only has to be coke, but the coldest you can find (the pool hall when I was a young 'un).
Tried this not too long ago, didn't seem right in a plastic bottle, although it tasted same as always.

Ron_L
10-25-2005, 07:48 AM
Runzas are great! I don't know if its a western US thing. The only place I've seen them in in Nebraska. Here's a link that describes what a Runza is. Basically, its a sandwich baked inside of the doough, so the bun is all around the fillings.

http://www.runza.com/whatzarunza.htm

qman
10-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Ron, what is the filling for a Runza made of? My Dictionary of American Food says the original sandwich was made with ground beef, cabbage, and onions, similar to a Michigan Pastie. Is this right?

Thanks

Ron_L
10-25-2005, 08:27 AM
I thinks that's the traditional filling, and that's what I've eaten, but they put all kinds of stuff in there. I think they have cheese and mushroom, just cheese, and a few others.

qman
10-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Sure sounds good. Hmmm....? How long will it take me on my m'cicle from Orlando to Lincoln, Nebraska? Guess I can't make it for lunch today, huh?:roll:

Too bad those guys have not expanded over this way.

Trout_man22
10-25-2005, 08:59 AM
MoonPies and RC soda

qman
10-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Yep, Troutman, another icon of our childhood.

Did any of the brothers grow up where every eating place in town did "fish fry" on Friday night, every week?

Bill-Chicago
10-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Runzas are great! I don't know if its a western US thing. The only place I've seen them in in Nebraska. Here's a link that describes what a Runza is. Basically, its a sandwich baked inside of the doough, so the bun is all around the fillings.

http://www.runza.com/whatzarunza.htm

If its bbq inside, its a Kapnini

Bill-Chicago
10-25-2005, 09:47 AM

Did any of the brothers grow up where every eating place in town did "fish fry" on Friday night, every week?

Local VFW halls on the South Side of Chicago.

They still have them.

david
10-25-2005, 09:53 AM
fish fry was at Serb Hall in Milwaukee.

midnight
10-25-2005, 09:57 AM

They still do that up here! Every place you go all you can eat fish fry every friday night with mashed taters and gravy. I just wish they would all use fresh fish, most use the frozen pre battered fish filets like you buy at the store (like Mrs. Pauls)

Hey, I wonder what a peanut coke would taste like if you used Texoma Jap nuts??????

Trout_man22
10-25-2005, 10:07 AM

What childhood they still have that here for a $1.25 on the menu.

Mom would never let us have it we were too poor. We were so poor we lived in a hole in the middle of the road.

qman
10-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey, I wonder what a peanut coke would taste like if you used Texoma Jap nuts??????

I'll try it when I get my shipment and let you know, if I don't die:eek:

qman
10-25-2005, 10:36 AM
If its bbq inside, its a Kapnini
Right you are, Bill. Think I will defrost some pulled pork and have that for tonight.

Bigdog
10-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Up here we put green olives in our tap beer. Alot of people from out of state have told me they never heard of that before. Don't know what the point is, the olives float for a minute or two then sink to the bottom for another minute or two then float back up......kind of like a beer "lava lamp".
I have never heard of that one, sounds cool. I like to put hot salsa in mine, kind of a spicey variation of red beer.

Bill-Chicago
10-25-2005, 11:05 AM
I have never heard of that one, sounds cool. I like to put hot salsa in mine, kind of a spicey variation of red beer.

Dude, what don't you put hot stuff on?

And if you tell me you use it when you go scuba diving, I'm gonna die.

Kevin
10-25-2005, 11:11 AM
The local grocery store has lutefisk on sale this week.
Bury it.

Bigdog
10-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Dude, what don't you put hot stuff on?

And if you tell me you use it when you go scuba diving, I'm gonna die.
Hint: I don't put it on everything. :mrgreen:

Bigmista
10-25-2005, 11:16 AM
A dill pickle with a peppermint stick in the middle.

A cool cup (basically kool-aid frozen in a dixie cup)

Boudain (louisiana dirty rice sausage)

All of these had to come from the little old lady around the corner, selling out of her back door.

G$
10-25-2005, 11:50 AM

i would be interested to hear about any other local specialties weather they be bbq related, side dishes or whatever. thanks.
phil

Sonoran or mexican hot dogs. I am addicted.

They vary slightly, but this is pretty close to standard:

Take dog wrapped in bacon and grill (preferably over mesquite)
Put it in a bolillo or stiffer "bready" style hot dog bun
Top it with chopped tomatoes, chopped white onions, grilled onions, pinto beans, mayonnaise, mustard (or ketchup for the flag) and jalapeņo sauce. Stick a grilled yellow pepper on top, and add cheese if you want. Some use yellow, others use cotija.

2 bucks. A double for 3 bucks. Finish it off with Mexican coke and it can not be beat. (Goobers not allowed in this co-cola, but they are glass bottles...)

Kevin
10-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Finish it off with Mexican coke and it can not be beat.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Mexican Coke and US Coke other than the glass bottle?

brdbbq
10-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Can anyone tell me the difference between Mexican Coke and US Coke other than the glass bottle?

The Water

bittertruth
10-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Texas*** Frito pie, there is a whole thread devoted to this one. a must at all High school foootball games.

North Carolina*** Brunswick Stew, you can find it at various places throughout the Carolinas. the best can be found cooking in a local Garage by a guy usually named Junior or skeeter!

BrooklynQ
10-25-2005, 12:48 PM

Mexico still uses cane syrup - like the orginal Coke formula. The US uses corn syrup.

Kevin
10-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Mexico still uses cane syrup - like the orginal Coke formula. The US uses corn syrup.

Thanks Rob

Aeynghus
10-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Cherry Mashes and Chick-o-Stiks.

thillin
10-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Dublin, TX Dr. Pepper. Same as the Mexican Coke. Still uses Imperial cane sugar, and still goes into the glass bottles.

Don't forget Texas NO bean chili!:biggrin:

Ty

Bigmista
10-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Texas*** Frito pie, there is a whole thread devoted to this one. a must at all High school foootball games.

North Carolina*** Brunswick Stew, you can find it at various places throughout the Carolinas. the best can be found cooking in a local Garage by a guy usually named Junior or skeeter!

Awww man! I forgot all about Frito pies!! Sporting event fare at it's finest!

What about Chic-o-stix?

Or a big ole crab boil?

VitaminQ
10-25-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm not that well traveled, but it always seemed to me that Oklahoma, and Tulsa in particular, had a large concentration of coney islands/ chili parlors. My favorite place here in T-Town is a combination coney/ Greek place called "Jim's Never on Sunday." Good, good eats all the way around. Oregano chicken is awesome, great souvlaki, huge gyros, and pretty darn good coneys, too.
But I'm wondering, are there coney joints elswhere? There've gotta be. My MIL has been living out of Tulsa for years, and always wants coneys when she comes to town, like she can't get them anywhere else.

icemn62
10-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Mom would never let us have it we were too poor. We were so poor we lived in a hole in the middle of the road.

You call that poor? You were lucky you had a road, we lived behind a clump of dirt on the trail :biggrin:

midnight
10-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Maybe everyone has these now but Walking Tacos were big around here. Just a small bag of dorittos chips with the taco meat and topings dumped right in the bag.

Frozen coke: a paper cup with coke poured in. Frozen. You would peel back the paper and eat like a popsickle. They always had them at the local swimming pool.

Bigmista
10-25-2005, 03:26 PM
You call that poor? You were lucky you had a road, we lived behind a clump of dirt on the trail :biggrin:

WE were so poor, we couldn't pay attention.

WE were so poor, if we farted we still wouldn't have a scent.

icemn62
10-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Maybe everyone has these now but Walking Tacos were big around here. Just a small bag of dorittos chips with the taco meat and topings dumped right in the bag.

We called these chilli chips, got em from the ice cream truck

And we didn't freeze cokes, it was grade soda

Trout_man22
10-25-2005, 04:16 PM

It wasn't a real road more like a half of a trail were we wished we had a clump of dirt.

Love crumb pie, don't know how it's made but pour some fresh cream on it, or better yet lemon chess pie.

G$
10-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks Rob

Yep, of course Rob beat me to it. It makes ALLLLL the difference. Side note, apparently there is 1 Dr. Pepper bottler in the US that still uses Cane Sugar rather than Corn syrup.

G$
10-25-2005, 07:04 PM
Dublin, TX Dr. Pepper. Same as the Mexican Coke. Still uses Imperial cane sugar, and still goes into the glass bottles.

Don't forget Texas NO bean chili!:biggrin:

Ty

Sheeeeet, I am late today.

BrooklynQ
10-25-2005, 08:31 PM

Whoops - I meant cane sugar.:biggrin::tongue:

Kevin
10-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Whoops - I meant cane sugar.:biggrin::tongue:

Not to nit pic here, but I went up to the local grocer and got a bottle of Mexican Coke. It had a sticky label attached (to appease labeling requirements of the US I assume) and it said it contained corn syrup. My bubble is now bursted. At least we can still by sugar in the raw here.

Wayne
10-25-2005, 11:06 PM
Coke and peanuts. I use to serve them back when I was a soda jerk at Baker's Drug Store in Caney, Kansas. We also use to eat Moon Pies with RC Cola. And sometimes we would go out to the garage and use a nail to poke a little hole in the bottle cap of an RC and then shake up the stuff and let it fizz into our mouths. You could also squirt it at friends but then you got less Coke to drink.

Went to Kentucky one time. Anybody know if they still sell Ale 8?

BrooklynQ
10-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Not to nit pic here, but I went up to the local grocer and got a bottle of Mexican Coke. It had a sticky label attached (to appease labeling requirements of the US I assume) and it said it contained corn syrup. My bubble is now bursted. At least we can still by sugar in the raw here.

Last time I bought Mexican coke was back in April when I was in Texas and the label still said cane sugar. I even brought some of it home with me because of it. Maybe they've changed since then?

nmayeux
10-25-2005, 11:58 PM

I thought brunswick stew was a Georgia thing?!! Brunswick, GA just had their annual Stewbulee (SP?), and we might participate next year. Anyway, in the deep south, I love boiled peanuts and fresh watermellon bought off the side of the road, a good crawfish boil, fried catfish on fridays during Lent, and a big fried oyster/shrimp po-boy with a cold Abita Amber.

Just a start!

Trout_man22
10-26-2005, 06:39 AM
I thought brunswick stew was a Georgia thing?!! Brunswick, GA just had their annual Stewbulee (SP?), and we might participate next year. Anyway, in the deep south, I love boiled peanuts and fresh watermellon bought off the side of the road, a good crawfish boil, fried catfish on fridays during Lent, and a big fried oyster/shrimp po-boy with a cold Abita Amber.

Just a start!

Not at all Brunswick Stew, goes from Va to Ga with all of them claiming to be the first to make it. The best is made with bunny and chicken.

Kevin
10-26-2005, 06:58 AM
Not at all Brunswick Stew, goes from Va to Ga with all of them claiming to be the first to make it. The best is made with bunny and chicken.

My brother makes Brunswick Stew with squirrel.
I aint eatin that either.

qman
10-26-2005, 07:18 AM
Right you are Trout. There has been a long "gentlemanly, intellectual discussion" about the origian of Brunswick Stew-- :roll:

The best IS made with Thumper and a couple of yard birds. My grandmother always insisted on a couple of squirrel's too. I grew up west of Brunswick, Ga. and it was standard fare for us. When I was living in North Fla. in the 60's, we made 80 gallon pots of it for community events--unless we were doing a fish fry with fresh Mullet.

Trout_man22
10-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Forgot about the ones made with squirrels.

rookiedad
10-26-2005, 10:01 AM
thanks for all this great information! what about something i heard about called beer cheese, or beer cheese soup? anybody ever heard about this? how do you make it?
phil

Bill-Chicago
10-26-2005, 10:05 AM
I heard of head cheese.

Great stuff

Boil a cows head till the meat comes off, then let the fats solidfy and harden

Yums

Trout_man22
10-26-2005, 10:20 AM
thanks for all this great information! what about something i heard about called beer cheese, or beer cheese soup? anybody ever heard about this? how do you make it?
phil

Used to make it, Jeff Smith (remimber him) showed us how on his PBS show

Bill-Chicago
10-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Used to make it, Jeff Smith (remimber him) showed us how on his PBS show

He touched boys, and I'm not talking about his beloved "Craig"

G$
10-26-2005, 11:04 AM

You bought it in Minnesota? Mexican Coke? Hmmm.

I am pretty close to the border, my stuff has cane sugar, as does the stuff I get while in MX. I'll look in to this though.

Kevin
10-26-2005, 11:13 AM
You bought it in Minnesota? Mexican Coke? Hmmm.

I am pretty close to the border, my stuff has cane sugar, as does the stuff I get while in MX. I'll look in to this though.

The grocery stores around here have developed some well stocked Mexican sections in the last few years. Lots of dried peppers and spices that were not available in the area in the past. It's quite possible that they put regular Coke in a Mexican Coke bottle and market it as Mexican Coke to us.

G$
10-26-2005, 11:19 AM
The grocery stores around here have developed some well stocked Mexican sections in the last few years. Lots of dried peppers and spices that were not available in the area in the past. It's quite possible that they put regular Coke in a Mexican Coke bottle and market it as Mexican Coke to us.

More info!

From the Mexico Edition of the Miami Herald:
As far as a decision to switch sweeteners, Casimiro said that such a change would come from the 13 Coca-Cola bottlers in Mexico, not from the company headquarters. Coca-Cola provides the concentrated syrup for the drink, and leaves decisions regarding water and sweetener largely up to the bottlers.

Long story short, a recent ruling from WTO on the legality of the US tax on corn sweetenres has drastically changed the cost of using these corn syrups versus 'native' cane sugar. So, it appears some MX bottlers have moved to corn syrup while others still use cane. Buyer Beware! All that I have seen in my area and in my trips across the border are still cane based.

Trout_man22
10-26-2005, 01:02 PM
He touched boys, and I'm not talking about his beloved "Craig"

Did he? Or was that just a stunt to get money?