PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Brats

burgersb
08-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Anybody have a good way of smoking Brats ?

Harbormaster
08-02-2012, 10:00 PM
I've smoked them in a WSM and I've indirect cooked/smoked 'em on a Kettle.
Smoke 'em like any meat, but they're small, don't take real long.

Ye Olde Party Palace
08-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Just to be different, I sometimes marinade the brats in italian salad dressing for a couple of hours before I put them in the smoker. Just adds another layer of flavor. I usually throw them in the smoker as I'm doing a butt or brisket, just to soak up some more smoke. Like them much better than grilled. :icon_smile_tongue:

JazzyBadger
08-02-2012, 10:40 PM
I always do them on the stove first, with either some beer or water, and then some seasoning. Typically garlic powder and onion powder. I just let them soak that liquid in, and then I smoke them indirect on whatever cooker I need to fit the amount I'm using.

I was raised on brats that way, cooked on the stove in the onion and garlic. So that's just the way I do it. I know, I know! Stovetop ugh. I stand by it though.

yakdung
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
I have been known to place a cast iorn skillet on the grill/pit/smoker with sliced onion, chopped garlic and different colored bell peppers. Add a little EVOO to the pan to get things started. Saute a little. Dance the brats on the grill for awhile. Toss sausages in the pan add a dark beer like Shiner Bock and a little seasoning.

BobM
08-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I do them indirect in my kettle.

MeatyOakerSmoker
08-02-2012, 11:10 PM
My buddy (who should be a brethren) just puts them on the pit with this ribs etc... nothing fancy

ryhonung
08-03-2012, 12:33 AM
I really haven't been smoking brats, more like grilling them. But the method I use does allow them to absorb a nice amount of smoke and it creates a nice smoke ring. I create a two zone medium-high fire on my Weber kettle, and then throw on the brats on the indirect side add a few chunks of smoke wood... after 20 minutes or so I finish them off on the direct side to get a little crispy and brown. They end up being smokey, juicy and very good!

Barbarian BBQ
08-03-2012, 01:12 AM
I always do them on the stove first, with either some beer or water, and then some seasoning. Typically garlic powder and onion powder. I just let them soak that liquid in, and then I smoke them indirect on whatever cooker I need to fit the amount I'm using.

I was raised on brats that way, cooked on the stove in the onion and garlic. So that's just the way I do it. I know, I know! Stovetop ugh. I stand by it though.

This is how I do em; it is definitely a midwestern thing. Now, to smoke the simmered brats instead of grill... hrm.

fedex
08-03-2012, 03:16 AM
I cook mine in a Beer and Onion Bath then to the grill for color.

charrederhead
08-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Did my first-ever brats last week. Disposable aluminum pan, chunks of onions, garlic powder cuz my garden garlic wasn't ready, bottle of IPA (for me and brats) in the smoker w/ the ribs. Later on, put them on the hot end of the offset to get some color, then back in beer bath for a while.

Came out great.

jlane
08-03-2012, 09:04 AM
I normally do them on the kettle, but if I have the Chubby running then I will put them in the smoker, which does add a nice smokey flavor to them. What I do is after I pull whatever it was I was smoking off the Chubby I add the brats rubbed up with some SM Spicy Apple on the rack and let them go about an hour at 250 while the other meat is resting, after about an hour I remove the heat deflector and water pan and push the temp up to about 300 to 350 for about 10 to 15 minutes which adds a nice char to the brats. I would say they are much better on the smoker but if it's not running then the grill is much easier to use.

TIMMAY
08-03-2012, 09:41 AM
When I take the time to smoke em I rock it indirect around 280-300 with cherry or apple. Most of the time I just cook em for 2 hours. After they are cooked through I put them over the fire to crisp up the skin so you get that snap. When I go straight from indirect to the bun I think the skin gets too tough. Getting them over the fire direct helps with that.

pork_butt
08-03-2012, 10:06 AM
When I grill them, I boil them in beer for around 15 minutes and then on the grill to basically brown them up.

When I smoke them, I will just put them on the smoker. I usually will do a handful when I am smoking something else. The first batch I did, I monitored their IT. It took around an hour to get to 180*. Since then I have really gone by look. They start to brown up after around 90 minutes, but I leave them on for 2 hrs. I do not finish on the grill like TIMMAY does, but I could see how that would crisp them up.

They really get good smoke flavor.
Good luck:cool:

wnkt
08-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I put mine in the smoker alongside the main meat Im doing....I have one skewered by a thermometer probe so I dont overcook or dry it out completely...and I have some hot brats for lunch while waiting for the brisket or butt.

Myrdhyn
08-03-2012, 11:45 AM
We've smoked them a couple of times, didn't really think it added anything to the brats, and if anything covered up the flavors some. Gotten much better results with the traditional boil-in-beer then crisp-on-grill method.

That said, just smoke them like anything else. Put in smoker, remove when done.

MisterChrister
08-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Anybody have a good way of smoking Brats ?

I don't smoke, but I've seen some people driving around in their car smoking with their brats seatbelted into the back seats. I've always felt kinda bad for the little ones when I see that, brats or not!

charrederhead
08-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't smoke, but I've seen some people driving around in their car smoking with their brats seatbelted into the back seats. I've always felt kinda bad for the little ones when I see that, brats or not!

:clap:

Shadowdog500
08-03-2012, 03:28 PM
I always simmer them in beer and onions then put them over the charcoals until they are the color I want! Just back from a week in Wisconsin. Had my brat fix for a while.

Chris

RevZiLLa
08-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I just put them directly onto the racks in the smoker. No beer bath, no rub, just nekkid. They will take about 90 min more or less, depending on your temp. The smoke ring will be almost all the way through and the flavor is intense. Serve with caramelized onions and rustic mustard on a potato roll.

toadhunter911
08-03-2012, 04:13 PM

That's what I do...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/579483_2933356304226_1667869048_n.jpg

bigabyte
08-03-2012, 04:18 PM

Ditto. I cook them in the bath in the smoker this way too from time to time. I think it adds a good flavor. Sometimes I am looking for that traditional flavor though.